New Martin Logan owner... what to buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rbberto,

Have you heard the Purity? How would you compare it to the Vista if you have?

I hate to make comparations, but here I go...the Purity is a truly like dynamic speakers, great for rock, a new concept in Martin Logan design and sound, very clean sound with tons of power bass...and the Vistas are the evolution of the Aerius sound...much better in detail and better tonal balance. This is my liking and appreciation and could be different than yours. totally two different kind of sound...with the beloved clean and superb sound of Martin Logan. With the Purity you can use any portable player as a source, computer, Ipod, etc. Of course you can play any kind of music, but Hotel Califormia, by Eagles and Huey Lewis sound is amazing thorugh the Purity...and Mischa Maisky with Martha Argerich is like having them there...in your own living room or dedicated audio and video room. What type of music do you like most? Who are your favorite musicians? what is your liking regarding stage and size of the instruments? Do you like to be with close to the musicians or do you like to be in the center 10th rod at the theater? There are tons of possibilities with ML. I just have a new customer who has a large collection and the said to me> Roberto, I am discovering all my music again...it is like if I bought a lot of new music with the same musician(s)...I am listening new things that where there and enjoying this new sound as ever...so liking is another clue...I wish I could help in your decision...happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks Roberto,

I was just curious about the sound. I like my Aeon I's no plans to change them yet, if I do in would be the Vista. I' also interested in hearing the CLX (I think) when it comes out. My room is small (10x14) so I don't think I can host a summit I could be wrong.

I am not so sure a change from the Aeon i to the Vista would be a big step up. In fact, I actually like the Aeon i better.

Erik

I am not so sure a change from the Aeon i to the Vista would be a big step up. In fact, I actually like the Aeon i better.

Erik

Ok. OK. They do seem the same spec wise. What about the Vantage? Is it more advanced as they claim? I heard them, but I did not like the system
setup. Or is this a deal where I need to go to the top to better the Aeon
or with my room size just be happy and leave well enough alone:D
There are so many other things to tinker with.

I did not hear the Vantage vs the Aeon i in the same room with the same electronics. The Vantage is probably a better fit if you have a larger room. Since the Vantage has powered woofers, it's a little less taxing on the amp.

However, I think the Aeon i is a terrific sounding speaker and if mated with a good sub you should be happy for many years.

Both speakers are terrific, and if you are on a budget you can do far worse than a used pair of Aeon i. If you got a little more money to spend and stumble across a good deal for some Vantages-give them a shot.

Really, there are far tougher choices and options to consider than Aeon i and/or Vantage. You win either way.

best,
Erik

In my room I have no issues with lack of bass. The room is in the basement and three of the four walls are painted exposed cement blocks:D I had to add treatments to calm things down. I plan on adding some more panels on the back wall small 2x2 pieces and I 'll be done... I think. I could see in a year or so picking up a used Vantage just to try it out, or even trying the new CLS.

For me and my preferences, I would keep an Aeon over buying the Vista, but I would change from Aeon to Vantage.

Would the change be based on Panels or woofer?
I have always liked the Aeon and Odyssey the best in the old lineup for sound.

In the new lineup, I like the Vantage and the Summit, but I was not impressed with the Vista. I have yet to hear any of the new models shown recently (self-powered)

For the price of the Vantage plus say a Decent, you will get pretty darn close equal sound and still have 2-3k in your pocket for other equipment, music, etc. over the cost of a Summit setup. Summit owners may disagree with me on this, but again this is my take and opinion.

The woofer integration in the Vantage and Summit is better than the older models.

The new panels do sound different than the old panels and one needs to go out and hear the new ones (with as many different electronics as possible) to decide if you like the new panels over the old ones. With the ability to replace old panels in older models, it basically gives you new speakers.

Ok. I recently ( about a month now) received new panels from ML for my Aeoins' due to a hum, so I'm set for a while. I should have my new amp on Friday, so I'm looking forward to hearing how things will sound.

Hello All,
I know receivers have come a long way since the mid-late 90's, though backwards from the "golden era" of the 70's. I suppose my question is why not buy a low priced power amplifier to use as power to your mains. While sensitivity has increased in the current gen ML's, the ohm load is still brutal. Heck, an Adcom GFA-555 (used $350.00 or so) would seem to be worlds better than even a $2000.00 receiver. I realize on some receivers you can set the switch to lower ohm loads, but, you greatly reduce power most of the time. It just seems with the sales tax paid on most ML models costing more than a decent, used solid state amplifier, having a decent current source would seem paramount. I realize none of this matters if an active speaker is used.
Cheers,
Nooob.

Hello All,
I know receivers have come a long way since the mid-late 90's, though backwards from the "golden era" of the 70's. I suppose my question is why not buy a low priced power amplifier to use as power to your mains. While sensitivity has increased in the current gen ML's, the ohm load is still brutal. Heck, an Adcom GFA-555 (used $350.00 or so) would seem to be worlds better than even a $2000.00 receiver. I realize on some receivers you can set the switch to lower ohm loads, but, you greatly reduce power most of the time. It just seems with the sales tax paid on most ML models costing more than a decent, used solid state amplifier, having a decent current source would seem paramount. I realize none of this matters if an active speaker is used.
Cheers,
Nooob.

The reason why some (or a few) people go the AVR route is because it's economical while providing good sound. With most AVRs nowadays, you can get HDMI, bunch of surround sound processings, and auto-EQ. For me, HDMI and auto-EQ are what i needed most. I am not a professional audio person. I am your average audio consumer. HDMI advantage for the average consumer is obvious.

As for the Auto EQ, I have no idea how to adjust my system for optimal sound...nor do i have time to. The Auto-EQ (Audyssey on my Denon) is exceptional in my honest opinion. I am sure that some of you guys can do a better job with a sound meter, but the Auto EQ is more than good for me. And most reviewers (on the net) have come to like Auto EQ a lot.

So, to get HDMI output, Auto EQ, and other fancy stuff, you need to buy a pretty expensive pre-amp. Then, you need to buy at least a 5-channel amplifier. I got my AVR 4306 for $1400 (cheaper nowadays). So, for $1400, you get both a good pre-amp and a decent 7-channel amplifier....and you get the fancy electronic stuff, HDMI galore, and Auto-EQ. That is hard to beat by any separates.

Note...i am talking about new equipment here.

Last edited:
Hello,
Forgive my lack of a fleshed out thought as I meant to say to get a used power amplifier to use with a receiver. Moreover, I am using an Onkyo TX-SR875 as a prepro in my system. While I still wish I would have waited for the new Integra processor, I am quite pleased give or take a few HDMI handshake issues. The biggest thing I like about the Integra is that it offers both balanced and unbalanced connections and Ultra2 spec for around $1500.00. Insane value.
Cheers,
M.L

The reason why some (or a few) people go the AVR route is because it's economical while providing good sound. With most AVRs nowadays, you can get HDMI, bunch of surround sound processings, and auto-EQ. For me, HDMI and auto-EQ are what i needed most. I am not a professional audio person. I am your average audio consumer. HDMI advantage for the average consumer is obvious.

As for the Auto EQ, I have no idea how to adjust my system for optimal sound...nor do i have time to. The Auto-EQ (Audyssey on my Denon) is exceptional in my honest opinion. I am sure that some of you guys can do a better job with a sound meter, but the Auto EQ is more than good for me. And most reviewers (on the net) have come to like Auto EQ a lot.

So, to get HDMI output, Auto EQ, and other fancy stuff, you need to buy a pretty expensive pre-amp. Then, you need to buy at least a 5-channel amplifier. I got my AVR 4306 for $1400 (cheaper nowadays). So, for $1400, you get both a good pre-amp and a decent 7-channel amplifier....and you get the fancy electronic stuff, HDMI galore, and Auto-EQ. That is hard to beat by any separates.

Note...i am talking about new equipment here.

I realize that a receiver is the way to go for economics, but if you want the best out of your speakers
that's not the way to go IMO. If you are going to be ok with an "ok" sound then fine, but when you
spend big bucks on a speaker then stick a receiver on it you are not getting the best that speaker
has to offer.
I guess it depends on what is more important to the individual.

You're are probably right...but then again, how many on this forum have actually listened to a well setup system with a quality receiver?? I also wonder how many on here have beautiful separates in their system yet has it poorly calibrated or poor aesthetics due to wires and such?? Yes, there are some of you guys on here that can calibrate a system with the best...no doubt. However, for us average folks, buying separates and then hand-calibrating it (although fun exercise) is probably not the best way to get the "most" out of our system. This is why Auto EQ and HDMI have been such big successes among the average highend buyer (like myself). Let's face it, most of us cannot calibrate the whole system base on speaker type, room acoustics, and different seating positions as well as, for example, Audyssey autoEQ programs. How many cheap pre-amps come with a good auto-EQ program, multiple HDMI, and other fancy processings?? None under $1K i am sure (again, new price)...and probably most of these pre-amps will run well above $2K new. Yes, you can spend a small fortune on pre-amps and amps, but then you probably compromise some other place (speakers for example)...and then may still sound like crap if the pre-amp is not calibrated right or does not have a quality auto-EQ program.

The nice thing is that most quality receivers nowadays are also pretty good pre-amps for future hookup with a separate amplifier (if budget allows). Again, according to Audioholics, my Denon pre-amp section is pretty darn good...so, once i have enough money, i can get an amplifier and would not need to upgrade my AVR. Even if you just use the AVR as a pre-amp, it is still cheaper than buying a separate pre-amp.

Greg, you may one of the few that have the perfectly-calibrated system, but i don't have the skills to accomplish that on my own. :(

Last edited:
Thai,

I think we are on the same page. A good receiver with properly matched speakers will sound great, no question. My first setup (I still have it) is a Kenwood receiver with kenwood speakers, while not at the top, the setup is great for that price point. I use that for my HT. I'm looking to upgrade the receiver to one with HDMI for when I get my new TV. :D

What i believe though is that if you purchase a speaker like the Aeon I and put a 2K receiver while it may sound good, you will not be getting the best out of that speaker, it's the reverse of your example. That's why my two channel is the best I can afford, and my HT will be the best at a certain price point.

I did not hear the Vantage vs the Aeon i in the same room with the same electronics. The Vantage is probably a better fit if you have a larger room. Since the Vantage has powered woofers, it's a little less taxing on the amp.

However, I think the Aeon i is a terrific sounding speaker and if mated with a good sub you should be happy for many years.

Both speakers are terrific, and if you are on a budget you can do far worse than a used pair of Aeon i. If you got a little more money to spend and stumble across a good deal for some Vantages-give them a shot.

Really, there are far tougher choices and options to consider than Aeon i and/or Vantage. You win either way.

best,
Erik

I just went from Ascent (one step up from Aeon) to Vantage. The difference to me is immense even before full break-in. The already amazing midrange got quicker and more real. Bass is better and is better integrated.

Can't wait for the woofer to break-in completely.

I will setup my system with the Vantages and Motif and hook then up to my Denon receiver... I think it'll be a great way to start, and later I can add a dedicated amp to the Vantages (possibly even the Motif), so either a 2 or maybe 3 channel amp connected to the pre-out on the Denon... The Denon would perform pre-amp duties wonderfully and do all the required switching :)

Rodrigo

I will setup my system with the Vantages and Motif and hook then up to my Denon receiver... I think it'll be a great way to start, and later I can add a dedicated amp to the Vantages (possibly even the Motif), so either a 2 or maybe 3 channel amp connected to the pre-out on the Denon... The Denon would perform pre-amp duties wonderfully and do all the required switching :)

Rodrigo

What are your surround speakers??

Back