New Martin Logan CLX 's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
The new CLX speaker to replace the infamous CLS line will debut at the Martin Logan Get Together this June. But does anyone know when it will be available for sale and what the price range will be? Also, what are the amp requirements or their sensitivity rating. I have a pretty good idea that the new Descent i or Depth i Subwoofers are designed to work with the CLX. If I knew these few things I could start planning for a pair of CLXs now.

FYI,

The CLX from what I have been discussing with ML is still in a state of flux. They are not sure how to build it. This means they are not sure what size panel to use and the frequency roll off (a guess) may be around 80Hz.

It will basically be a two piece Summit. They have been fighting with the same issues the original engineers were fighting about 20 years ago. You have to remember the CLS was discontinued not because it was bad or by new technologies but was discontinued because of its high price and poor sales.

Now this brings in to question how much this will sell for when it finally escapes from the factory (if it does before the end of the year), my guess, at least $14k USD, depending on options and configurations.

............and for those who want to know about the "Super Summit" or "mini Statement", when I inquired I got a huge belly laugh and the statement why?

Jeff:cool:

Now this brings in to question how much this will sell for when it finally escapes from the factory (if it does before the end of the year), my guess, at least $14k USD, depending on options and configurations.

............and for those who want to know about the "Super Summit" or "mini Statement", when I inquired I got a huge belly laugh and the statement why?

Jeff:cool:

1. $14K for the CLX will be too expensive. :(
2. Regarding the laughter... oooh.. that's not good. :(

I know the CLS faction is very anxious for a replacement. However, I will tell you this: The Summits, driven by high-quality electronics, are not embarrassed by speakers which cost multiples of their price. I base this on what I heard at the Stereophile show last week. There was almost nothing there (including mid-5 digit priced speakers) that sounded as good as Summits.

I still have a handful of days to uptrade (Tweeter) from Vantages to Summits before my 12 months are over. It is very unlikely that I will, because I am intrigued by the flexibility of physically separated dual subs and panels, and of course the promises of a panel that reproduces the spectrum from the low midbass range upward.

The upgrade from Aeon-is to Vantage was worth it because the Xstat panel can rock more. This may or may not apply to the CLS vs CLX, too. That is not my problem. But I wonder: this time next year, will I still have the Vantages?

I wonder: this time next year, will I still have the Vantages?

Yea, but they will be the surrounds in your Home Theater! LOL! Just messing with you but it could happen. Who would have thought of Ascent as rear speakers in an HT?! I must be out of my mind! :eek:

:) It could happen indeed, except my living room is too small! On top of that there is a possibility that I may be moving back to Europe next year - where the average room size is even smaller than what I rent now.

The upside is - or so I've heard - that premium equipment costs much more on the other side of the Pond. If this is true I could sell any "surplus" gear easily enough.

Rear Ascents may be overkill for HT, but I bet they're really nice for multi-channel SACDs and DVD-As. Yes, or am I right? ;)

Last edited:
Rear Ascents may be overkill for HT, but I bet they're really nice for multi-channel SACDs and DVD-As. Yes, or am I right? ;)

OVERKILL! Probably 2 pair of Scripts in a 7ch HT system would be just about as good. 7 ch. "stereo" mode and SACD's are pretty cool, excellent effect w/ the 7 ch. stereo mode! They do LOOK great, as they are an EXCELLENT match to the look of the Prodigy! I need to put some blue LED's in them to complete the look though!

I still have a handful of days to uptrade (Tweeter) from Vantages to Summits before my 12 months are over. It is very unlikely that I will, because I am intrigued by the flexibility of physically separated dual subs and panels, and of course the promises of a panel that reproduces the spectrum from the low midbass range upward.

I would take advantage of that deal. That's a rare opportunity. You can't do that after buying a new car going back a year later and getting 100% on a trade in. I traded up 4 times to get the Summits I have now. The only reason I didn't do it a fifth time was becuase there was nothing better at Tweeter to trade up to and 5 Months ago and there still isn't.

Yea, but they will be the surrounds in your Home Theater! LOL! Just messing with you but it could happen. Who would have thought of Ascent as rear speakers in an HT?! I must be out of my mind!

I had Ascents as rears for a while when I had Odysseys for the front. Sounded awsome but the only main component I was missing was a ML sub. My Klipsch was almost adequate, sort of. The room was relatively small for that much speaker. It had an incredible sweet spot but it was a very small sweet spot. HT systems have smaller sweet spots than 2 channel in my opinion. I split that system up to build a nice 2 channel system. and have been working on that ever since.

This is from a StereoTimes article about the CLX at the Munich show.

Martin Logan had invited me to visit their private showing of new models and there is great news at the top as well as the bottom of the range. We saw a new prototype of a top model ‘The CLX’, which nobody was allowed to take photos of which will come in at the top end. It will be a two panel on one chassis affair with a dedicated bass panel and a separate midrange/tweeter panel. Standing about six feet tall it is not small but not humongous either and according to what I have heard is perhaps closer to production than we first were led to believe.

The old CLS gave us one of our very fine audiophile memories, although it had a number of practical problems especially a rather limited horizontal dispersion, but what a sound. We expect the CLX to be a worthy heir to the old throne of pure electrostatic super speakers.

I'd rather ML take their time with the CLX to get it right. When it does come out, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Regardng the 'Super Summit', no wonder the guys at ML laughed. I'm barely scratching at the surface of my speaker's potential without throwing a 'super' Summit into the equation. ML got it right first time with the Vantage and the Summit - an upgrade is a LOOOOONG way down the track... ;)

I'd rather ML take their time with the CLX to get it right. When it does come out, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Regardng the 'Super Summit', no wonder the guys at ML laughed. I'm barely scratching at the surface of my speaker's potential without throwing a 'super' Summit into the equation. ML got it right first time with the Vantage and the Summit - an upgrade is a LOOOOONG way down the track... ;)

I think they laughed at us because we let our imaginations run wild again. A bunch of dreamers, they thought.

Who knows.. maybe we planted some seeds in their creative brains. Maybe there will be a Super Summit afterall.

Latest posts

Back