new interconnects list

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioraptured

Reaction score
Good evening members: has anyone thought of making up a list of favorite interconnects for particular equipment: for example I would like to know what are everyones opinions or experiences with the best connections by brand and item for preamps to power amps, (mine are Aragon Stage One pre/processer to Aragon 8008MKll amp). I can use any and all suggestions. How about from the preamp to the DVD player or transport or dc player. Or if you don't want a list, what can any one tell me about my amps to the Ascents I have with the Theater center..... Thanks in advance friends....

Here are a couple of threads on the subject which should give you a starting point. Fact is there are no "best cables" as each of us have our preferences and the type of sound we are looking for, with the type of equipment we are using. Best method is to "try, try, try, try", until you find the ones you liike.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1021&highlight=interconnect

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=796&highlight=interconnect

www.fatwyre.com has the ability to try out cables before you buy from them and they also have a used cable site www.usedcable.com

Dan

thanks again DTB300

You are right about there being so many variations of interconnects to match with everyones personal taste. I will try the used sites first and see what gold I can gleen from the classified items. I have PBJ Kimber and some Audioquest, and I have had Apature BBl-4 so I believe I am on the way up, (both sonically and cost related), to a better sound. I read the opinions and choices of the other members, and I think only trial and error, (and a bit of luck, research, and good advice from those in the know), will get me the match-up I'm looking for. If any one else would like to add an opinion please don't hesitate, I need all the help and input I can get. I want this system up and running by the 23 of Nov. so I will have something else to be thankfull for during Thanksgiving

audioraptured said:
You are right about there being so many variations of interconnects to match with everyones personal taste. I will try the used sites first and see what gold I can gleen from the classified items.

Also forgot to post www.audiogon.com for purchasing used items - but at the 'Gon, you need to know what you want, when looking at the classifieds. If you are patient, then you can usually find a cable for 1/2 the cost or less compared to brand new. But you have to be patient.

In all my testing and trying, for myself, I found that the differences between the $75 - $200 Per Meter IC is much greater than the cables above $200. The cost per results value drops greatly above $200 as the changes get smaller and smaller. But that it was I heard whenlistening to IC's recently. Others here may disagree with me. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay.

A few others that I want to try in the near future are: Harmonic Tech Truth Link, Tara Labs RSC Ref 2, and Kimber Hero's, just to see what they are all about.

Be patient with your quest for better sound. An impatient buy will usually result in another purchase due to error.

Dan

Truer words were never spoken....

DTB300 said:
Also forgot to post www.audiogon.com for purchasing used items - but at the 'Gon, you need to know what you want, when looking at the classifieds. If you are patient, then you can usually find a cable for 1/2 the cost or less compared to brand new. But you have to be patient.

In all my testing and trying, for myself, I found that the differences between the $75 - $200 Per Meter IC is much greater than the cables above $200. The cost per results value drops greatly above $200 as the changes get smaller and smaller. But that it was I heard whenlistening to IC's recently. Others here may disagree with me. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay.

A few others that I want to try in the near future are: Harmonic Tech Truth Link, Tara Labs RSC Ref 2, and Kimber Hero's, just to see what they are all about.

Be patient with your quest for better sound. An impatient buy will usually result in another purchase due to error.

Dan

audioraptured,

Dan is right on, fantastic words to live by. I agree with him 100%... :) IMHO, Dan is quite correct, wise and experienced... He may not tell you this, but I will, Dan has personally, patiently spent many, many hours auditioning dozens (or more), IC's and speaker cables, so he knows of what he speakes. I think, I can speak for all of the ML Club memebership, when I say, we know and appreciate what Dan has done for us, because he has gracously shared all of his cable audition results, with all of us here...:D Thanks again, Dan, wherever you are...

IMHO, Dan is right on the money, when he says, "An impatient buy will usually result in another purchase due to error". Unfortunately, I am living proof of that. I am a little hesitant to admit it but, I foolishly purchased, "Monster" speaker cable, by the yard, at one time, spent quite a bit of money actually, and the sad fact is, I will be replacing all of those IC's and speaker cables eventually.... :( I just wish, I had found, 'The ML Club', outatanding web-site, years ago, and read Dan's and others, excellent recommendations and advise back then, I would have saved thousands of dollars. I just wanted immediate gratification, so it was easy for a quick trip to, "Best Buy" and a (foolish) purchase.

IMHO, auditioning the cables at home on your system, before you purchase, is the key... Also, remember, always remember, the words of that great audio God, 'Roberto', "Trust your ears".... Maybe, I should stop quoting 'Roberto', so much, as he may think, he doesn't need to respond to as many threads, and that would not be ashame, as I just love his excellent advise and recommendations... :D

Enjoy your Audio Quest (pun intended), that's what really counts...

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
audioraptured,

Dan is right on, fantastic words to live by. I agree with him 100%... :) IMHO, Dan is quite correct, wise and experienced... He may not tell you this, but I will, Dan has personally, patiently spent many, many hours auditioning dozens (or more), IC's and speaker cables, so he knows of what he speakes. I think, I can speak for all of the ML Club memebership, when I say, we know and appreciate what Dan has done for us, because he has gracously shared all of his cable audition results, with all of us here...:D Thanks again, Dan, wherever you are...

IMHO, Dan is right on the money, when he says, "An impatient buy will usually result in another purchase due to error". Unfortunately, I am living proof of that. I am a little hesitant to admit it but, I foolishly purchased, "Monster" speaker cable, by the yard, at one time, spent quite a bit of money actually, and the sad fact is, I will be replacing all of those IC's and speaker cables eventually.... :( I just wish, I had found, 'The ML Club', outatanding web-site, years ago, and read Dan's and others, excellent recommendations and advise back then, I would have saved thousands of dollars. I just wanted immediate gratification, so it was easy for a quick trip to, "Best Buy" and a (foolish) purchase.

IMHO, auditioning the cables at home on your system, before you purchase, is the key... Also, remember, always remember, the words of that great audio God, 'Roberto', "Trust your ears".... Maybe, I should stop quoting 'Roberto', so much, as he may think, he doesn't need to respond to as many threads, and that would not be ashame, as I just love his excellent advise and recommendations... :D

Enjoy your Audio Quest (pun intended), that's what really counts...

Cheers

-Robin
Hola Robin...thanks again for your kind words...I´m just going to say, that due to the triboelectric and piezoelectric properties, cables are microphonic, and because of these properties, you can use them as "tone control", without the need of an equalizer. As a general rule, silver is great for highs, and cooper is great for bass...so the best way to find out which cable is good to my liking, audition it is a must in the system....not all cables have the same result in every system and also the length of the cable makes it sound different. Usually the best I.C. to my liking also has 1.5 m...to my ears this length is what usually I like most. Out there are a lot of great cables, but I thinK that the most convenient is follow what Dan said. I like very much DHlabs...good quality and not so expensive...trust your ears and happy listening!!
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Last edited:
roberto said:
Hola Robin...thanks again for your kind words...I´m just going to say, that due to the triboelectric and piezoelectric properties, cables are microphonic, and because of these properties, you can use them as "tone control", without the need of an equalizer.

Very well put Roberto...as always. Each cable has a characteristic to it, which can be evident in some systems, but not others. You just need to find the cable to your liking. In my limited testing, I have found I like solid core cables much better than stranded. But there are too many cables out there for me to say ALL solid core cables will sound better in my system than stranded.

As a general rule, silver is great for highs, and cooper is great for bass...so the best way to find out which cable is good to my liking, audition it is a must in the system....not all cables have the same result

This has been my findings too. Silver was too bright sounding for me, copper was more to my likings. Silver coated or plated copper was another version out there to consider. The Audioquest King Cobra (that I like so far) is a copper cable, but has a silver plated connector.

in every system and also the length of the cable makes it sound different. Usually the best I.C. to my liking also has 1.5 m...to my ears this length is that usually I like most. Out there are a lot of great cables, but I thinK that the most convenient is fallow what Dan said. I like very much DHlabs...good quality and not so expensive...trust your ears and happy listening!!

The DH Lab products are a great recommendation as they are a quality cable, well terminated for reasonable prices. And the folks at DH Lab are great to deal with. I liked the DH Lab cables, but found I liked the Audioquest even better.

Dan

Robin said:

Robin...as always thanks for the very kind and generous words.

I just try to pass on my experiences and thoughts. Whether right or wrong, it is just an opinion and hopefully it helps others along the way. As you have stated we each have made our own errors and in this hobby that equates to $$$$

Now to address the point of where I am (where's Waldo?)......right here, reading while listening to new music I just picked up :D As another post stated...In Music Nirvana

IMHO, auditioning the cables at home on your system, before you purchase, is the key... Also, remember, always remember, the words of that great audio God, 'Roberto', "Trust your ears".... Maybe, I should stop quoting 'Roberto', so much, as he may think, he doesn't need to respond to as many threads, and that would not be ashame, as I just love his excellent advise and recommendations...

Roberto always has excellent comments and opinions to help all of us on our audio journey. Thanks dear friend Roberto. Hope the Hurricane did not affect your area of the world too much.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Now to address the point of where I am (where's Waldo?)......right here, reading while listening to new music I just picked up :D As another post stated...In Music Nirvana

Roberto always has excellent comments and opinions to help all of us on our audio journey. Thanks dear friend Roberto. Hope the Hurricane did not affect your area of the world too much.

Dan
Roberto and Dan,

Sonic Nirvana... Dan you totally deserve it... :D

And Roberto, my sentiments exactly, as above, hope you are well... :D

Cheers

-Robin

I also agree with Dan and Roberto. I am sure as they will attest to that we have all made mistakes to find out what works. When Roberto states that cabels are "tone controls" he is right on. This is the philosphy yoy need to take with you. This is why cables are so vastly different in contruction and why they sound different to us all.

With ML's a cable that is bright may not be what you want but then again understand there are other pieces to the puzzle, i.e. the equipment, the room and the music, which are all shaped by everythig with in the system as a whole.

My suggestion and it is just that, is to get the biggest "bang for your buck" would be to get something between your CD to a preamp or receiver and the next would be from a preamp to the amp.

Good Luck and let us know :D

Jeff :cool:

Robin said:
Roberto and Dan,

Sonic Nirvana... Dan you totally deserve it... :D

And Roberto, my sentiments exactly, as above, hope you are well... :D

Cheers

-Robin
Friends...thank you for your concern regarding the huracane and the bad weather that we were having this past months...here in Costa Rica, we have lost most of our roads...as you had also in Miami, Texas and New Orleans. We are a poor country. We have a lot of poor peaple suffering the bad weather and we, the costarricans are doing our best with our brothers in pain, so thank you again for your words.

Now regarding with our beloved hobby, cables are another component, not just an interfase...you have to think the cables as important as any of the components of the system, meaning preamp, power amp, cd player, speakers...etc. You have a signal in your, let´s say at the preamp, and you have to send it to your amplifier. If you use a bad conductor or bad cable, this pure signal will be contaminated by it. You have to deal with the resistance, inductance and capacitance of the cable and you can meassure a different in every feet. If you take an oscilloscope and view the signal at the output of the pre, then at the end of the cable, you will find differences in the signal ...and this is what makes the cable to sound different. Cables do not make your system to sound better, what they do is to sound less worse. So the best test is your ears. Trust them, they will tell you is you can live with that kind of sound or not...cables are important as the tires are to the car. Better cables, less worse sound and I´m not saying better means expensive. Happy listening to all of you, and I wish to all of you too to have in every session, a super great Nirvava...
Roberto.

interconnects

Thanks Jeff, Roberto, Robin, for you advice and time with this problem. It may be a while befoe I do hit the correct piece to this puzzle but I can't help thinking once I do, the process will also be the reward, (along with great music).

Back