New hobby :)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiophiliac

Reaction score
Tonight I attended a casual classical piano recital. A friend of mine played for family and friends at one of the halls at the university. He is nuts amazing. He is really not your "normal" concert pianist. He only had lessons from 8 to 19, and since then he has just played a bit on the side for fun. But he is nothing short of amazing! I am not a big classical listener (until now), but he played Bach's Partita No. 1, Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C sharp minor (my favorite of the night), Chopin's Nocturne in C#, and Nocturne in E minor, and ended with Liszt's Reminiscences of Don Juan.....it was relaxing , invigorating, and just a good time overall.

I plan to start to attend more such events. And I think it will give me a better feel for how things should sound when it comes to audio reproduction. I already am aware that the MLs can recreate the body and image of a piano in a room with realism difficult to approach by other speakers. Hopefully this new passtime will allow me to better appreciate it. :) I think a pair of Vantages may shortly find their way into my possession.

Sounds like it was a great recital ! if you end up with the Vantage's I'm sure you will be impressed with their ability to "recreate" your recital experience !!

I had a similar experience over these past two weeks. I was staying at a hotel in Rome and found out that the German Opera was also staying there.

Everyday around 3pm they would rehearse for a couple of hours. I just stood in the door and really soaked it up. No mikes, no acoustic panels, just pure musical voices stretching each note further and further.

My ML'S come so close to what I heard, and that's make me very happy to own a pair of them.

Live music is great, taking home a CD of the artist purchased at the event can be a long term let down. Once the memory of the live event wears off it has to stand on it's own

recorded music always sounds better to me after hearing the artist live. I know some people say the CD's pale in comparision to the live event when compared back to back, but for me I carry some of the event inside for a while and it aids enjoyment.

Do you think this artist will soon be producing recordings? If not my little rant is a little off topic, sorry about that.

Ahh, live piano, the reason I got my ML’s in the first place.

I grew up with a Julliard grad concert pianist playing a Steinway in our living room every day, for hours…

So I had a good reference of what Live piano should sound like. I was in a store and hear what I swore was grand paino playing in one of the rooms. So I wandered over to see, and low and behold a pair of huge Monoliths were playing ‘Nojima Plays Lizt’ from a CD.

I was mesmerized, and swore to buy ML’s as soon as I could afford them. Which I did 15 years ago (my sequels). I later finally obtained the Monoliths, and can say, it’s almost as good as going to a live event.

Still nothing can truly equal a live Steinway played by a master.

Back