New guy, wanting ML Clarity but I need some help and advice.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiofreak29

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been a long time lurker and audio lover. I currently have an old HK receiver with Wharfedale MFM speakers, Kimber interconnects and audioquest cables. I also run either a HK cd player or a Rotel cd player.

I recently purchased a Rotel 1066 receiver and now Im looking for new speakers. I was looking at some B&W and others.

I had never heard ML speakers in person but only heard about them until a few days ago. I was looking for a new TV in Best Buy and am leaning heavily toward the Pioneer Kuro series. Thats a whole new thread though. :D

Long story short... They were kind enough to let me audition the ML Clarity speakers there with my own music I had brought along. I couldnt believe the sounds I was hearing. I THOUGHT my HK and Wharfedales were nice, but they are hopelessly outclassed and outperformed by the ML speakers. Beyond that, they were using a Denon DVD player as a source and a Pioneer Elite receiver. I ran them in 2 channel mode with the ML sub that was there off. They had more than enough bass for music IMO. The thing is this. I was leaning toward a 5.1 set up with the option for 2 channel music. Thats why I bought the Rotel, I have heard nothing but good things about them as far as 2 channel listening goes.
BUT my remaining budget would be all but gone if I get the ML speakers at $2k plus tax. That being said. Is there any speakers that are going to sound as incredible as the ML's did? B&W or anything? What amazed me further was the fact they sounded so good with that equipment. I know the Pioneer Elite is a great receiver but its no Rotel I would think in the 2 channel department. Same goes for a Denen DVD player as a source for my CD's. I cant help but think they would sound even more incredible on my equipment.

What kind of room do they go best in. I have a high ceiling tiled floor room, and a carpeted average ceiling room.

Sorry for the long post but Im trying to reach a decision and the waiting is killing me here.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.. I assume that you're talking about the Rotel 1067 reciever (the 1066 is a processor only).

Anyway, I'm running with the 1067 and the Clarity's and it's a very nice combo. I've had them in three different palces and they souded different in all three but you can compensate for room acoustics. Depending on your room, you may want to add a sub for 2 channel. I did, and never looked back. in fact, looking to upgrade to a REL. I think that overall you will be pleased.

For the $2K range, I don't think that there is any better speaker than the Clarity's. Note that you will be purchasing a discontinued model. I was leaning towards B&W's at one time (also audtioned some about a week ago) and still hold that the Clarity's are the best speaker for the price.

Hope this helps.

Well, I am running a pair of Sources off of a Rotel 1080 amp with a Denon 2807 receiver. I did a side by side with my dealer (clarity and purity) at his shop and my ears told me to go with the purity (bought the source because I had the amp already). I believe for the money it is a GREAT 2 channel set up. You can probably get the Source for under $2K and I also saw a pair of ML Purity go for $1700 used ($3000 MSRP) on audiogon last week. Good spot to be in, let us know what you decide.

Back