New Guy Question - Odyssey vs Ascent i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris6010

Reaction score
First, new to the forum.

Question for all you that have owned many models of ML.

I have a pair of Aerius i's powered by a sunfire theatre grand and EAD Ovation pre-amp. I have had them for approx 10 years and its time for an upgrade.

I'm looking at a pair of Ascent i's used and I'm second guessing the decision to look for a pair of Odyssey's. I live in Toronto Canada and the market for ML is nothing like the US. I found a pair of Ascents for 2k plus a 450 mile drive. My other option is going with a pair of Odysseys for a bit more and driving 700 miles(thats not gonna happen).

My question is would I really notice a huge difference with the larger speaker? Will I hear the difference between my Aerius i vs the Ascent ?

thanks!
Chris

I found a pair of Ascents for 2k plus a 450 mile drive. My other option is going with a pair of Odysseys for a bit more and driving 700 miles(thats not gonna happen).

My question is would I really notice a huge difference with the larger speaker? Will I hear the difference between my Aerius i vs the Ascent ?

Chris,

I would try and get the Odyssey owner to meet you half way... I think there would be a good difference between the Ascent and Aerius i but a HUGE difference between the Odyssey and Aerius i... YMMV.

Welcome to our happy little corner of the internet!

I know I'm the new guy here having had MLs for only about a month, but I can't help but make an observation.
Chris never mentioned how big his room is, how loud he likes to listen, or what he likes to listen to. Doesn't all that make a difference?
I can't help but wonder if I would be happier with the next smaller model down from the Ascent i (Aerius??) in my small room. I could have saved a few bucks and perhaps not have had as many room acoustics issues as I've had. I listen at low to moderate levels, acoustic rock, jazz...
The Ascents may be perfect for him, even though they may not be the better speaker.
Before I bought my 2nd hand ascents, I read many times (I believe a lot on this forum) that the right ML for the room they're going to be used in is very important.
Just a thought.

Stirrin' up the pot,
Mike

I read many times (I believe a lot on this forum) that the right ML for the room they're going to be used in is very important.
Just a thought.Mike

Mike, you make a very good point indeed, one in which I agree. The word that continues to come to mind is ...... Synergy. For the interaction of ones system with his or hers room IS important.

Yeah Mike.. good call. :bowdown:

I just thought, "Hmm. what would I rather have in MY system..."

So if you have the room, go for the Odysseys!

I know I'm the new guy here having had MLs for only about a month, but I can't help but make an observation.
Chris never mentioned how big his room is, how loud he likes to listen, or what he likes to listen to. Doesn't all that make a difference?
I can't help but wonder if I would be happier with the next smaller model down from the Ascent i (Aerius??) in my small room.

Mike,

Just like HP in a car, you can never have a speaker TO BIG! LOL! Yea, room size does matter, but I would always go bigger unless I was at a place in my life where I was likely to be DOWNSIZING vs. UPSIZING my home or theater or listening room. If you or Chris went w/ the smaller speaker and then happened to move to a bigger place then you would just be buying again. If you get the Odyssey then there are very few options to move up to and they will certainly sound good regardless of room size... they just might be a bit of overkill if the room is small...

YMMV!

I can't help but wonder if I would be happier with the next smaller model down from the Ascent i (Aerius??) in my small room. I could have saved a few bucks and perhaps not have had as many room acoustics issues as I've had. I listen at low to moderate levels, acoustic rock, jazz...
The Ascents may be perfect for him, even though they may not be the better speaker.
Before I bought my 2nd hand ascents, I read many times (I believe a lot on this forum) that the right ML for the room they're going to be used in is very important.
Just a thought.

Stirrin' up the pot,
Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the post. My room is a good size at 550 sqft (22ft x 25ft with faulted ceiling) so I'm sure I could put the much bigger speakers in. The Aerius i sound great in the room today. I'm sure the Prodigy would sound amazing! The good news, or bad news, depending on how you view it is I won't easily be able to hear what the Prodigy sounds like.
I've decided to go with the Ascents for this year and maybe update to the Prodigy or something bigger in the next year or two.
thanks for all the great advice.
Chris

Hey man, from what I've heard the last month or so (when I got my Ascents), you can't go wrong with either. When I first replaced my Magnepan 1.6s with the Ascents, I realized that they were a step up. After tweaking the room, positioning the speakers, doing the Jim Powers Toe in thing, I now realize just how much better the Ascents are than the Maggies. I thought I was a Maggie guy for life because they're excellent speakers. But these Logans have truely impressed the heck out of me.
Of course there's the disclaimer that the Logans cost a lot more than the Maggies, etc., etc. Yeah, whatever.

Good luck on your purchase.

Mike

First, new to the forum.

Question for all you that have owned many models of ML.

I have a pair of Aerius i's powered by a sunfire theatre grand and EAD Ovation pre-amp. I have had them for approx 10 years and its time for an upgrade...
thanks!
Chris

Dear Chris,

unfortunately I never owned ML loudspeakers, so I cannot answer to your question.

However, I'm going to purchase the Aerius i (that you own by 10 years) and I would be grateful if you could send to me some suggestions for their best performance basing on your experience.

Have you ever heard them connected to medium power valve amplifiers?

Thank you very much.

Luca

Hi Chris,

I used to have the Aeirus i's and upgraded to Oddessy's last November. Yes , there is a huge difference, no comparrison. If it was me , I would hold out for the Oddesseys over the Ascents.

Cheers, Greg

Odysseys for sure. Sometimes you gotta buy for the future. If a high end product presents itself at the right price, even though it may not be a perfect match for the rest of your system, it's a no brainer to buy it.

I slotted my Summits into a system designed to make Klipschorns sing. It wasn't perfect and neither was the original room. But now with a new room and matching components, my system is to die for... :music:

Back