New CLS Panel Observations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I talked with Jim Powers today and decided to go ahead and order some new panels for my CLSIIz's. These speakers are celebrating their 25th Anniversary but still sounded pretty. I have heard some kazooing on certain tracks but not consistently. Otherwise, they sound OK. However, I have no way of knowing if I'm missing out on enhanced sonic performance by using panels this old. I guess I'll find out soon.

I'm also sending in the crossover/power supply boxes to ML for a check-up. According to Jim it already has the auto-shutoff circuit so no need for that mod.

I have an extra set of CLS frames that have never been used. They're Cherry wood or Rosewood, not exactly sure which but they're in excellent shape. With this combination they would almost be new CLSIIz's.

I'm hoping C.A.P. can come through on a set of stands for these classic pups to complete the 25th Anniversary make over.

Anyone notice any sonic improvements with new panels beyond improving obvious sonic deficiencies of worn out or damaged panels???

PM sent on both stands and Frames > Ill call you tomorrow !

Chris, how many speakers CAN you use. I see you also want to buy a pair of Apogees.

ML's are not the best for HT, if that is what you were thinking of buying them for ! :D

Its a terrible habit. Its like an old Girl friend You cant for get ! They were instrumental in my early days . I have not heard them in 20 years IIRC. Maybe they would not have the magic like the old girls , but the memory still does.

Chris, how many speakers CAN you use. I see you also want to buy a pair of Apogees.

ML's are not the best for HT, if that is what you were thinking of buying them for ! :D
:confused:

So, what is the best for HT and at what price?

I'm currently using Summits, Stage, Scripts and a Descent I and I'm quite pleased with it's HT performance! :music:

:confused:

So, what is the best for HT and at what price?

I'm currently using Summits, Stage, Scripts and a Descent I and I'm quite pleased with it's HT performance! :music:
Actually that was a tongue-in cheek comment directed at Chris (C.A.P), who does not believe MLs are suitable for HT; but he did not take the bait. I have no opinion about MLs and HT as I have zero interest in HT.

Bernard, I just would like to hear them in 2 Chanel again and see if that romance blooms again.

I had to tone in on this one. ML's are one of the perfect speakers for HT there ability to trace every detail and nuance sets the stage and feeling for the movie.there holographic imaging puts the actors and sounds effect in the room whith you.they really need a good sound processor to do this well though

Back