New Balanced Force 210 and 212 subs!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you are using the custom BalancedForce Sub filters, the manual low pass filter is bypassed. The 25 Hz control is inactive during PBK measurement, but manually adjustable afterwards. Per the BF210 manual, set the Phase control to zero while measuring, then manually adjust after for optimal blending with your Spires. I use XTZ Room Analyzer Pro measurements while "dialing in" phase for the smoothest response.

However, even using the custom BF Sub filters and PBK/ARC doesn't necessarily give you the optimal integration between Main speakers and Subs, because PBK/ARC can't measure/EQ the Main woofers AND Subs simultaneously. Audyssey measures the whole system, so (theoretically) could offer additional improvement. However, there are still lots of permutations possible. For example, is it better to run your Subs as Dual Mono, or Stereo Pair? I'm still vacillating on this!

Last edited:
I know I read it somewhere but can't find it. Regarding wiring the output from my C-52 preamp to my BF210's input what is the preferred method on a 2 channel system? Is it single run RCA to left & right from the preamp. Or use one sub (R) to feed the other (L) via speaker out? I can go either way but; ill be limited on space as the cable will be fed through the wall via "smurf tubing".

Last edited:
Wow I'm reviving a really old thread here! I'm hoping this year to add two BalancedForce subs to my CLX Art speakers, and am wondering how much difference there really is in the listening experience between the 210 and 212 models. I read the specs that report the 212's going a couple Hz lower in frequency, but is that it? Could the PBK adjustments otherwise make up the difference in performance between the two models for a given room? Have any of you more experienced folks had the chance to compare pairs of the two models (otherwise in the same room with the same equipment)?

If it all just comes down to a question of the size of the room involved, what room dimensions would you say are the "crossover point," at which size one should really go for the 212's instead?

Wow I'm reviving a really old thread here! I'm hoping this year to add two BalancedForce subs to my CLX Art speakers, and am wondering how much difference there really is in the listening experience between the 210 and 212 models. I read the specs that report the 212's going a couple Hz lower in frequency, but is that it? Could the PBK adjustments otherwise make up the difference in performance between the two models for a given room? Have any of you more experienced folks had the chance to compare pairs of the two models (otherwise in the same room with the same equipment)?

If it all just comes down to a question of the size of the room involved, what room dimensions would you say are the "crossover point," at which size one should really go for the 212's instead?
I'm was using a single BF 210 in a room that's 20 x19 and it was plenty really. I recently added a 2nd sub that's 21 inch because I felt like i needed a little bit more. I think two bf 210 subs would be plenty in my room.

Back