New Anthem processors and receivers debut!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
I've been patiently waiting to find a replacement for my 12 y/o Denon 3808 receiver, and looks like it'll be the new Anthem MRX 540 or 740. Details about the new lineup here... Anthem® / Premium Audio Video Receivers & Powered Amplifiers

Like their STR separates, the new receivers incorporate ARC Genesis (Anthem Room Correction) and manage phase/timing for two subs! That means I'll finally be able to have my main ML Expressions and dual BF210 subs, simultaneously optimized for my room! Unfortunately, I'd need to part ways with my CJ preamp, but am hopeful the complete system synergy will make up for the loss of tubes.

I'm curious to hear what ML will recommend with regard to the downloadable sub filters... use them, vs. giving Anthem receiver complete control of sub crossover, etc.

I'm curious to hear what ML will recommend with regard to the downloadable sub filters... use them, vs. giving Anthem receiver complete control of sub crossover, etc.
Yeah, that part confuses me. Can you use them together or do you have to make a choice?

Not sure. Will need to ask ML for guidance (vs. trial and error with too many permutations).

Wow! Just read about the AKM factory fire (Japan)... AKM Factory Fire Impacts Audio Chip Supplies | Production Expert

I wonder if this will impact the production and availability of these new Anthem models?
Yikes, thats bad news. Youd have to figure out where Anthem sources out to. Places will have to find a new source it sounds like. Hopefully the new parts will live up to the same standards, otherwise there could be a whole production period where the product is substandard.

FYI, the latest Anthem Room Correction Genesis Beta was just (re) released, ostensibly to support the new Anthem processors and receivers... ARC: Beta Downloads

The Release Notes for Version 1.3.19 state...
- Initial support for the MRX 540, MRX 740, MRX 1140, AVM 70 and AVM 90
- Added support for the new ARC Pro microphone that ships the new AVRs and AVPs
- Improved handling of equalization at the max eq and min eq frequencies
- Fixed an issue where ARC would continue to try and perform measurements even if the initial setup failed
- Fixed several issues around loading screens not properly supporting cancelation
- Improved optimization speed and quality
- Other minor fixes and improvements
- Update bundled firmware for the MartinLogan Masterpiece series to 0.1.9434

This last line piqued my curiosity. I wonder if the updated Masterpiece firmware just ensures compatibility with the newest version of ARC, or does something more?

Also, I presume the new ARC Pro mic can also be used with the Masterpiece and BalancedForce lines.

Perhaps Roberto, or somebody from ML/Anthem, will chime in on this! 😁

Last edited:
Hey Alan, have you purchased the Anthem unit yet?

I'm guessing the firmware update for the Masterpiece series is so they play nicely with the latest ARC Genesis software. But it might also introduce a new function to perform a high-pass on the woofers to better integrate systems without bass management in the pre-amp (e.g. your CJ) and that have subs.

FYI, the latest Anthem Room Correction Genesis Beta was just (re) released, ostensibly to support the new Anthem processors and receivers... ARC: Beta Downloads

The Release Notes for Version 1.3.19 state...
- Initial support for the MRX 540, MRX 740, MRX 1140, AVM 70 and AVM 90
- Added support for the new ARC Pro microphone that ships the new AVRs and AVPs
- Improved handling of equalization at the max eq and min eq frequencies
- Fixed an issue where ARC would continue to try and perform measurements even if the initial setup failed
- Fixed several issues around loading screens not properly supporting cancelation
- Improved optimization speed and quality
- Other minor fixes and improvements
- Update bundled firmware for the MartinLogan Masterpiece series to 0.1.9434

This last line piqued my curiosity. I wonder if the updated Masterpiece firmware just ensures compatibility with the newest version of ARC, or does something more?

Also, I presume the new ARC Pro mic can also be used with the Masterpiece and BalancedForce lines.

Perhaps Roberto, or somebody from ML/Anthem, will chime in on this! 😁
Very helpful! I'm considering upgrading to either the AVM70 or AVM90. Currently just watching to see what comes out on these...

Hey Alan, have you purchased the Anthem unit yet?...

Looks like I'll be getting the MRX 740, since I'm running my subs as dual mono's anyways, so I don't need the upgraded sub processing (or extra amps/channels) of the 1140. Unfortunately, some early adopters have reported a few issues/bugs over at AVSForum with the new models, and possibly the current ARC Genesis beta. However, I'm sure Anthem will get those sorted out.

As a long time owner of an AVM20 for over 12 years, and more recently a D2V (AVM50).... I absolutely love these pre/pros. But sadly, I see that Anthem has gone over to the Dark Side..... quite literally... Their new AVMs are the blackest black, and nearly buttonless faceplate. My #1 complaint of all new equipment is that the user interface is useless or frustrating. How does anyone walk up to this preamp and make it work without a user manual?
I know that I can approach any vintage piece of audio gear, turn it on, select my input, and make it play music without scratching my head. Anthem's old AVM design is a thing of beauty. A button for every function! I guess buttons scare most people?
Besides the UI design, the AVMs sound amazing... I even use my old AVM20 simply as an analog preamp in my 2nd system, and it sounds better than my previous $1500 pure-analog preamp.

As a long time owner of an AVM20 for over 12 years, and more recently a D2V (AVM50).... I absolutely love these pre/pros. But sadly, I see that Anthem has gone over to the Dark Side..... quite literally... Their new AVMs are the blackest black, and nearly buttonless faceplate. My #1 complaint of all new equipment is that the user interface is useless or frustrating. How does anyone walk up to this preamp and make it work without a user manual?
I know that I can approach any vintage piece of audio gear, turn it on, select my input, and make it play music without scratching my head. Anthem's old AVM design is a thing of beauty. A button for every function! I guess buttons scare most people?
Besides the UI design, the AVMs sound amazing... I even use my old AVM20 simply as an analog preamp in my 2nd system, and it sounds better than my previous $1500 pure-analog preamp.
I've got an AVM60 and I would be willing to bet that haven't touched most of the front panel buttons. I don't have any type of 'button phobia' (at least that I'm aware of).... I think it's more of me just being lazy and picking up a remote seems so much easier than walking over to it. Plus, if I walk over to it, I usually have to turn up the lights, and also have to have a pair of reading glasses handy to find the right button! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, that part confuses me. Can you use them together or do you have to make a choice?

To add to what Nuri just wrote, the Anthem doesn't care if you're running ARC in the speakers as well. I run ARC/PBK on each sub first and then get them phase-aligned using ARC quickmeasure. If you have ESLs with ARC you would run it on them too. Finally run the full ARC in the preamp on everything. It just means ARC has a bit less work to do and can get better results because of the corrections already applied.

The new series (MRX1140 and AVM70/90) with latest ARC is going to support multiple subs so you don't have to do the phase alignment manually.

Looking at replacing my AVM60 with the 90. Does anybody know what the 90 does do much better then the 70 at twice the price? I know it does 4 subs ok great and supposed to have better components but that seems to fall short why double.

I get all that but what exactly does it do got if for twice the price then the 70 ?

Looking at replacing my AVM60 with the 90. Does anybody know what the 90 does do much better then the 70 at twice the price? I know it does 4 subs ok great and supposed to have better components but that seems to fall short why double.
I'm considering the same move... AVM60 to AVM90, and all I could really find was that the AVM90 had an upgraded DAC (in addition to four subs that you mentioned). So, I asked almost your exact same question to my local dealer as they mentioned they had the Anthem rep coming in for training. FWIW... here's what I got back...

"The main difference will be the upgraded audio components. From what the Training Manager said, (who has both 70 and 90 in his home), says the 90 “blows the 70 out of the water”. The audio in both stereo and surround has a greater presence, and more enveloping. The 70 is no slouch, as it should be an audio improvement over the 60. The only other difference between the 70 and 90 is a free HDMI upgrade board for the 90 when our HDMI 2.1 boards become available. But it sounds like the 90 is an overwhelming audio improvement."

So there you have it! The '70 blows the 90 out of the water'... About all I really got out of this was an HDMI upgrade, which is definitely worth something (in addition to the better DAC and sub control which we already knew). I'm still not convinced the 90 is worth twice the 70 though... at least in my system...

Thanks for the update!! I also heard about the DAC upgrade and HDMI. The DAC upgrade is significant I do get that. But the internal parts and wiring that is “improved “ would be nice to put some more “meat on the bones” on what that means.

The other thing I want to start discussion on is what value will the HDMI card do which I assume 8k. Hell I’m still getting 720p/1080i from my provider. I have a 4K DVD but have bought only a couple discs this last year. What I do like with my LG OLED is streaming. So again how does this new HDMI help with such poor video quality for normal TV viewing?? I get it it will probably support eARC ( great for streaming only)which will be an improvement on the current ARC but is that even part of the HDMI upgrade?
The hardware is so so far ahead of content it’s just crazy. Actually disheartening. I live in a small town with few choices mostly poor and worse.

For me the video improvement will primarily come from the panel and granted audio will largely come from the processor. I believe the audio and improved Anthem ARC (new mic etc) will greatly improve with the new models but is that enough to jump to the 90 over the 70? Hopefully the “ blows it out of the water “ comment can be more understandable and explainable since listening will not be an option for most of us early on.

Thanks for the update!! I also heard about the DAC upgrade and HDMI. The DAC upgrade is significant I do get that. But the internal parts and wiring that is “improved “ would be nice to put some more “meat on the bones” on what that means.

The other thing I want to start discussion on is what value will the HDMI card do which I assume 8k. Hell I’m still getting 720p/1080i from my provider. I have a 4K DVD but have bought only a couple discs this last year. What I do like with my LG OLED is streaming. So again how does this new HDMI help with such poor video quality for normal TV viewing?? I get it it will probably support eARC ( great for streaming only)which will be an improvement on the current ARC but is that even part of the HDMI upgrade?
The hardware is so so far ahead of content it’s just crazy. Actually disheartening. I live in a small town with few choices mostly poor and worse.

For me the video improvement will primarily come from the panel and granted audio will largely come from the processor. I believe the audio and improved Anthem ARC (new mic etc) will greatly improve with the new models but is that enough to jump to the 90 over the 70? Hopefully the “ blows it out of the water “ comment can be more understandable and explainable since listening will not be an option for most of us early on.
I hear ya and am largely right there with you! Again, I'm somewhat in the same boat with my cable provider delivering a 720p/1080i signal (although I do have a relatively large internet pipe at 500 Mbps so I guess I should call them and ask when we can expect to see 4K in our area). My streaming is being delivered thru a Roku Ultra which handles 4K but again, I'm not quite sure how much content is actually available. Most of my system is ready to go for 4K with the exception of the HDMI cable between my AVP, and my projector, but I'm not in much of a rush to upgrade them until as you said... the content catches up. Besides, I'm very happy with my JVC projector and have a couple of spare lamps in reserve, so unless the projector dies, or something really dramatic happens to prompt me to make the move, my projector will likely remain the 'roadblock' in my video presentation. As far as 8K goes... while it 'sounds nice'... I'm not sure I'll ever see it in my house.

Most of my system enhancements have all been going into the audio side of my system. The main reason I'm looking at even upgrading my AVM60 is for the additional sub control on the new models. Hopefully they do provide some additional info on their differences, as the new HDMI card for the 90 likely won't sway me...

Back