New addition to the Family !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks to the Excellent recomendation of Dan aka DTB300+ the attached has a new home in my system. Yes my electric bill will go up but the listening pleasure has increased exponentially !!

Attachments

• OJ2E7156.JPG
    OJ2E7156.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 338
Congratulations - Plinius is a great combination with panels and the ability to switch from AB to A immensely useful.

Did you try any other amps - your impressions with the Vantages?

Kevin

kwr said:
Congratulations - Plinius is a great combination with panels and the ability to switch from AB to A immensely useful.

Did you try any other amps - your impressions with the Vantages?

Kevin
Kevin, So far, in my system, I am extremely happy. Having listened to Classe' CA-2200, Pass Labs 250.5 (just this past Fri),Spectral, to name just a few ! I have always been a Nelson Pass fan (still am!) but I'm glad I listened to the encouragement of Dan (aka DTB300) and several other Plinius owners I talked to, for it is trully the best SS amp I have heard to date on the New Logans, and when you switch the bias to class A, I'll put it up against tubes as well, when it comes to warmth, richness and any other adjective you want to throw out !!
Bottom Line ....It proves what others have said before, when it comes to the Summitt's and Vantage's, it's not the quantity of watts rather the quality !!

Way to go Dave!!! And you got the Silver one, which is far superior in looks to the Black one IMHO...It is pure eye candy!!!!

Glad I could help out in some recommendations for you to try out.

Like I have stated before, the Plinius SA-102 should be heavily considered if you are looking for a Solid State Amp for ML's. In Class A/B it is a great sounding amp, but switching to Class A is a whole new world. And to have the ability to switch from A/B to A is also a tremendous feature to have!!!!

Enjoy...and try to survive with the little sleep you will be getting over the next few days!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!

Dan

Congrats! Could you Plinius owners comment on how hot your amps get? Thanks!

Plinius SA-102...

Dave,

Congratulations! Class A/B SS wonderful quality. You will be listening to a whole new world of SS joy... :D

Enjoy your new toy... :D

Geeesh.....All these members with new speakers and upgrades are killing me. I'm jealous! :)

Is that Rotel going to Joey?

jfm said:
In Class A, I have measured (using a cooking probe) 135 at the bulkhead and heatsink joint located at the top of the amp and significantly cooler (never measures) at the outer ends of the heatsinks - showing they do a great job of heat dissapation. I am sure down in the heatsinks (about midway) it gets warmer. In A/B it runs cold to the touch anywhere on the amp.

Dan

Zip3kx07 said:
The plinius sounds great; too bad they don’t have any HT friendly amps. :(

I see Dan has beaten me off the mark. Integrateds all have HT bypass, the modules used in the Odeon appear in other amps.

I know this is pathetic coming from an owner but do not buy another amp for your Logans without considering Plinius even if you think you can only listen to a tubed setup. We have Audio Aero monoblocs powering a dynamic setup and swopping the Plinius in to that setup reveals how good the Plinius is. This amp has the midrange and soundstaging qualities that good tubes are noted for and adds bass and a sweet top end. Incidentally the bass is better than the Krell KSA150 we have gathering dust in a wardrobe.

The CD101 player is also a great player. Again if you can, do not rush out and buy Krell, Wadia etc without considering this player.

Kevin

DTB300 said:
In Class A, I have measured (using a cooking probe) 135 at the bulkhead and heatsink joint located at the top of the amp and significantly cooler (never measures) at the outer ends of the heatsinks - showing they do a great job of heat dissapation. I am sure down in the heatsinks (about midway) it gets warmer. In A/B it runs cold to the touch anywhere on the amp.

Dan
Just think I can turn the house thermostat down and tomorrow morning I'll cook my eggs on it ! All the while sounding superb ! and yes, Joey's got dib's on my Rotel !!

jfm said:

Too hot to leave your hand on in Class A. Definitely needs plenty of free space.

The Plinius SA102 is a potent demonstration of the quality that can be achieved with Class A amplification and a direct reminder of how inefficient it is.

Kevin

I hereby hold twich responsible for the future health problems Joey will incur from the constant input of ramen noodles he'll have to endure to pay for his audio affliction.....

twich54 said:
Just think I can turn the house thermostat down and tomorrow morning I'll cook my eggs on it ! All the while sounding superb ! and yes, Joey's got dib's on my Rotel !!
Here is another great feature of the SA-102. The SA-102 has a jumper on the main board which sets the "revert back" to A/B bias mode timer when running in Class A. It can be set in minutes for 15, 30, 60 or disabled. It is a great feature for those times you are listening late at night, stumble up to bed, only to find out in the morning you now have a "sauna room". I have mine set to 30 minutes and find that works out great for me.

I totally agree with Kevin (kwr)...give Plinius a listen if you can to see what you might be missing. I sure am glad I did...and now Dave is glad he did too!!!

Dan

Kruppy said:
I hereby hold twich responsible for the future health problems Joey will incur from the constant input of ramen noodles he'll have to endure to pay for his audio affliction.....

Hang in there Joey. Ramen makes a different noodle for each day of the week. ;) . At least you know that you will be bathed in a glorious wall of Class A sound :D

Top Ramen & Class "A" Sound...

gstring said:
Hang in there Joey. Ramen makes a different noodle for each day of the week. At least you know that you will be bathed in a glorious wall of Class A sound
gstring,

As you know, Joey is studying to be a physician, so he now has taken to self-administering his Ramen - Intra Vieniously (IV), as he listens to Class "A" Rotel sound... :D And very, very soon now Joey will be gazing at some gorgeous sounding, eye candy - BEM Vantages... :p :) :D

Back