Nervous about ML for home theater

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KERMI

I have been to a few stores and listened to some ML speakers and my hesitation is that i would like to use my room for HT 75% of the time. Don't get me wrong the ML are incredible but the concerns I have is that they are so precise that investing that kind of money into speakers and find that being slightly off to the left or right of the axis of the viewing position, I would be disappointed.

Please help?

Thanks

Kermi

I would not be too worried about that.

While it is true that MLs have a smallish sweet spot, this tends to be primarily related to stereo imaging. However assuming you will be using a centre channel, you will not reliant on the imaging.

FWIW I use a pair of Aeon i's for HT as the front mains, and I find in any seating position they work beautifully.

just my 2cents.

I'm never one to bash ML, I love them, but I find that the comb filter they use to create the 180 degree phase that gets produced by the back end of the stator creates strange sound feilds that tend to overshadow a center channel creating that small sweet spot. ML's really shine in stereo. You might want to consider Vandersteen.

Scumurculum said:
Kermi

I would not be too worried about that.

While it is true that MLs have a smallish sweet spot, this tends to be primarily related to stereo imaging. However assuming you will be using a centre channel, you will not reliant on the imaging.

Kermi,

I'm in agreement with Frank here. I have a HT with ML'S for all speakers.From any area in the room the sound is fantastic and movies are a joy to watch.Also music in 5.1 surround weather it be dvd-audio or sacd surround is outstanding.I always find myself moving speakers or playing around with sitting position when listening to 2 channel music.That has never been the case when watching movies or listening to 5.1 music.It's all about the center channel with HT(imho),since most of your dialog will come from the center channel.

I use Vantage and Cinema in front and NHT diploes for sides and NHT ceiling speaks for rears in a 7.1 system. Sound is very very good for HT for 4-6 listeners. The 5.1 pan in AVIA shows no dead spots. Rivieting gun shots from the sides and behind and center dialgoue is superb from all 6 positions. The Center speaker takes care of all sweet spot imaging issues for HT applications.

I use less expensive rear and sides since this is an upgrade in progress. However given how good its sounds I am not sure itm akes sesne to change it it now.

Positioning and tow in are very critical.

Lexicon DC-1 is the processor.

Stereo with only the Vantages is truly exceptional. Sweet spot for stereo is about 3 listeners wide.

Joel

I appreciate the insite.

My question is that I have a stage that is 6 inches high and the speaker have to sit on it due to the room set up.

my fear in a the ML is that having them 6 inches higher the sweet spot will be over the head of my seating.

I have looked at the Scripts for the front and tie in the grotto sub woofer.

frescos for the surrounds, and jamo dipole for the rear (i own them already)

any thoughts.??

Thank you,

You can always tilt the speakers down to adapt for the 6" rise? You'd have that problem with any speaker in that setting wouldn't you?

ML speakers tilt easily. If you are 10 feet away from your screen it should work better then fine in terms of vertical dispersion. You will have to tune them in terms of tilt, toe in, and placement.

where will the Center speaker be?

Joel

Center Channel Positioning...

jmschnur said:
ML speakers tilt easily. If you are 10 feet away from your screen it should work better then fine in terms of vertical dispersion. You will have to tune them in terms of tilt, toe in, and placement.
KERMI,

Welcome to the ML Club!
I concur with Joel. My Theater i is mounted above my Plasma monitor, pointed down to the listening area and works like a charm. IMHO, you could do the same with sucess. :D

ML HT sound is Sanfrantastic! :D :p :D

You will never ever wonder about using Logans in your home theater.
Try playing the movie, U-571 in DTS and you'll never look back. Promise. :)

Thank you everyone, I am sure you have all been through this trying to decide between about 30 brands of speakers, sizes, dipole, subs, wall treatment, center channel above, below...etc etc.. and you don't want to make a $10,000 mistake.

jmschnur- i have 2 options: of the center being above or below.

If below i have about 15 inches to work with and have to point it up slightly, if I go above, it might have to angle in down a bit more.

I am holding out to see if the Stage is something to look into...

thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited:
I would put the speaker on the ceiling above the screen or wall behind and above the screen and angle it down. That way nothing gets in the way. I put my Cinema i on the ceiling right above my screen. This has proved to be a good choice aurally and in terms of use of the room.

You could also put the speaker below the stage and point up. The stage is big so consider whether this gets in the way of anything.

My processor (Lexicon) adjusts for the speaker to listener distances. . This is important for all the speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 system and a number of processors do this.

Joel

ML are great for HT

The best HT I ever heard was an ML installation... they are awesome for this purpose... but power hungry... and volume will be important for HT... if you have the funds to buy the proper amps to go with the speakers then you can't go wrong... but if you have to compromise on the amps (and wont have the freedom/cash to upgrade in the future) then you might rather go with a more traditional speaker like B&W 600 series... or even more sensitive speakers like Klipsch... and save money all around (but they wont sound quite as detailed and smooth as the MLs). I compromised and have a hybrid system with the ML for the fronts and for stereo use and B&W for the Center and surrounds... not a perfect solution but well... the system is still in progress...

Latest posts

Back