Need suggestions for HT pre-amplifier for SACD, DVD-Audio Multi Ch and Blu-ray

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay

Reaction score
I am lost as to what pre amp/processor to seek out for my 2nd system. I am using ML Vantage Speakers, and an Oppo BDP 83 for SACD, DVD-A & Blu-ray. I am currently searching for a Sunfire Cinema Grand signature 17" 5 channel model amp. I am looking for audiophile sound quality for these formats and I lean towards a warmer sound:I use McIntosh in my main system. I currently use the Oppo BDP-83 decoder for current blu-ray, sacd, and dvd-a. I was checking out a new Marantz av7005 preamp/processor but I found out that it downconverts SACD. A Emotiva processor seems to have the features I am looking for but how does it sound? It looks kind of cheap. Is there a reasonably priced preamp/processors out there to purchase? Suggestions please.
Jim

Last edited:
You only mention 2 speakers. Is this for multi channel? Or are you looking for something that can do good 2 channel and good multi? I have a sunfire sig and love it. It really blossomed when I hooked up a Cary slp 98p 2 channel pre to it.

You only mention 2 speakers. Is this for multi channel? Or are you looking for something that can do good 2 channel and good multi? I have a sunfire sig and love it. It really blossomed when I hooked up a Cary slp 98p 2 channel pre to it.
Multi channel only. I am using Magnepan 1.7 + JL audio F110 subwoofer in an all McIntosh setup in another room. I am looking for the sound quality of a Cary slp 89 pre amp in a multi channel preamplifer with the latest codecs for blu-ray. I don't know if there is such a multi channel pre-amplifier available. Suggestions please.

Purely a suggestion -- You might want to give a listen to the ARCAM AV888.
Thanks for the suggestion. The ARCAM looks to have everything I am looking for but: the ARCAM AV888 even used is too expensive. The lowest used price I found was $5500. The price range I am looking for is $1000 - $2500 new or used for a second system preamp/processor.

Hi JJay, my recommendation would be to explore the Denon lineup, as they are the only ones to provide end to end jitter-free delivery of PCM and DSD data through their DenonLink solution between their players and pre-amps/receivers.

I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the AVP-A1HD and DL-connected players.

In the price range you indicate, you could consider an AVR-4311 as a pre-amp and a Denon DBP-2011UDCI universal player and you are set.
Use the Sunfire as the amp and you'll have a pretty killer system that will allow you hear the nuances of the high-rez formats.

Getting Audyssey Pro capabilities is a big bonus of this config as well.

JonFo's suggestion is a good one.

One other to consider might be the Integra 80.2 which has the latest everything and even supports 3D Bluray. It too has Audyssey Pro and pretty good numbers.

I have mine paired with a Sunfire TGA 7400 and it sounds great with any source, SACD, DVD Audio, HDCD, Bluray, and just about anything else that you can throw at it.

Thanks alot guys,
I will investigate both the Denon and Integra models this week.
Jim

I visited my local dealer about the Denon and Integra models. 1st thing he talks about Rotel and Anthem instead. I am confused enough about what to buy as it is. Anyways he says the store handles Integra but the Anthem blows it away. He then started on Rotel but I told him that the Rotel gear I previously owned sounded too bright to me JMHO. I also asked him about the new Marantz AV7005 preamp/processor any he asked for my number and would call me.:confused:
This is tougher than buying 2 channel equipment.:D I have narrowed my choices down to the Integra and the Marantz. I already own an Oppo BDP83 bluray player so I didn't want to purchace a new cd player. Any opinions between the Marantz models and Integra preamp processors? I know that the AV7005 Marantz model isn't released yet. Should I wait to see this model or demo the AV8003 Marantz preamp. Suggestions please.

Another option to consider is that upgrade your Oppo to the SE (not sure if they still do it) and get a used processor like a Krell HTS7.1 or equivalent. These older processor take a 7.1 input which can be used for movies and SACD and for pure 2 ch music, use the digital out of your oppo and have the processor decode it. Older processors that don't have HDMI are very cheap on the used market and I think would sound better than a Denon or Integra unit.

I don't know how the Marantz AV7005 will sound, but if it is as good as the AV-8003, I don't think you will be disappointed. I have the AV-8003 with the Oppo BDP-83 as the main source and I am quite happy with the sound.

I have never owned any tube equipment, so I cannot compare the sound of the AV-8003 to McIntosh or Cary. Part of me thinks that you will never find a "tube" sound in a multichannel pre-pro, but the Marantz (at least to me) has a detailed, but not in your face sound that works quite well with my Vista's and Rotel Amps.

As far as AV-7005 vs AV-8003, it will be up to you as to how long you want to wait. I find the 8003 does everything I need.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,
The Marantz AV7005 processor is supposed to be out this month. The dealer in town handles both the AV8003 and the AV7005 processors. I will demo both of these units plus the Integra 80.2 processor.
Jim

Update to my search: I purchased a new Sunfire TGA-5400 amplifier while I have waited for the Marantz AV7005 to arrive in my dealer to demo. I have narrowed my search down to the Marantz AV7005, Marantz AV8003 and the Integra. Any suggestions about synergy between the ML Vantage, the Sunfire TGA-5400 amp and the above AV processors? My dealer isn't the most helpful. His suggestion is to preorder the Marantz AV7005. My feeling is he was more interested in a sale than helping me choose which processor to purchase. He sells all 3 of them so I don't understand his motives.
Anyways any suggestions are appreciated.
Jim

I have the Sunfire TGA 7400 mated with the Integra and so far there have been no hiccups.

The two work together well and I never get anywhere "close to the edge" with song or movies.

Although I do recommend the Ground Controls as a nice tweak now with the ML panels.:D

What I am trying to narrow down is which AV processor has:
ease of use: I have a AV Yamaha(piece of (**^%&) which has all kinds of sound schemes which add terrible echo. Simpler would be better. I would like to set it and forget it for ht/music.
Sound: for me warmth before detail for sound preferrences, for 2 channel i use all McIntosh. This is why I purchased the Sunfire amp hoping that the current speaker setting will be more to my taste. SQ is the most critical factor in purchasing a AV Processor.
Audessey: I know nothing about room correction but this feature interests me greatly.

I have been taking my time building a system starting with my ML Vantages. I am also going to purchase a JL Audio F112 subwoofer. Please help with pushing me towards a great sounding AV processor.
thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
What I am trying to narrow down is which AV processor has:
ease of use: I have a AV Yamaha(piece of (**^%&) which has all kinds of sound schemes which add terrible echo. Simpler would be better. I would like to set it and forget it for ht/music.
Sound: for me warmth before detail for sound preferrences, for 2 channel i use all McIntosh. This is why I purchased the Sunfire amp hoping that the current speaker setting will be more to my taste. SQ is the most critical factor in purchasing a AV Processor.
Audessey: I know nothing about room correction but this feature interests me greatly.

I have been taking my time building a system starting with my ML Vantages. I am also going to purchase a JL Audio F112 subwoofer. Please help with pushing me towards a great sounding AV processor.
thanks,
Jim

I am very satisfied with the McIntosh MX150 room perfect processor. Once set up properly, it works for two channel music and H/T. The best processor I have ever owned by far. For something less expensive you might look into the Marantz AV8003, or the new Marantz that is coming out soon.

I did not read all the earlier post when I posted this post. I see you are familiar with the Marantz. A very good processor.

Last edited:
Since you are talking about Marantz, i just want to mention something that i was told when i purchased my CD player used on Audiogon. The previous owner worked for Marantz. He pointed out that Marantz is a huge corporation that produces large numbers of units. This gives them the leverage to use components usually reserved for higher end units in lower priced models; for what its worth:think: BTW, it was not a sales pitch because i already agreed to buy the unit.

While i'm here - i have been very impressed with the Lexicon. I find it interesting that Lexicon gets almost no mention by this group.:confused: I do not have a lot of experience with various makes, but i can honestly say that it amazes me. Unfortunately, it is a complex unit but controls just about everything and can handle whatever you want it to do. My unit does not have HDMI and can be gotten used for less than $2k. I believe that the newer unit with HDMI is still rather expensive.

Is HDMI that important? I am not sure, but isn't HDMI and optical both lossless? If so, can the sound be delivered to the processor by way of optical and the HDMI output plugged directly into the TV for high resolution viewing? Do you really need HDMI to optimize sound or will optical give the same result? Don't mean to change the focus here, but you want it for 2-channel and HT so i thought i would raise the issue.

Optical does not give you the latest formats for the Blu Ray. It only gives you dts and dolby digital. Not true Hd 5.1. Hdmi gives you the latest. If your Blu Ray supports the latest, you can use six analog out cables to your processor and achieve the same.

Update #2: I got a pretty good deal for a new Marantz AV7005 pre processor for $1099 that was too good not to take a chance on. So now I have the Sunfire TGA-5400 amp and the Marantz AV7005 coming soon. Last item on my list will be easier. I will get either a JL Audio f112 or the JL audio F113 subwoofer.
Last question: for multi-channel music a slight priority or blu ray movies, would you pick the JL f112 or the JLf113? I already have a JL audio f110 sub and love it. Any preferences? Opinions?
thanks,
Jim

I will get either a JL Audio f112 or the JL audio F113 subwoofer.
Last question: for multi-channel music a slight priority or blu ray movies, would you pick the JL f112 or the JLf113? I already have a JL audio f110 sub and love it. Any preferences? Opinions?
thanks,
Jim

I'm using a F112 in my 2.1 audio only set up mated with with my CLS IIz. It's a great combination! For my room size 10' x 18', I decided the F112 would be sufficient.

If your room is bigger or you want maximum movie sound, you may want to go with the F113.

Back