Need some CLS advice-new speakers, issues, thoughts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk12

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I finally found a pair of CLS-I speakers within 5 hours of my place (yea!), so I went and picked them up last night. I bought them as being in fair condition for a set of CLS-1 cosmetically, but was told by the owner (seemed very upfront and honest) that they were perfectly fine before being put into storage a few months prior to the sale. He didn't have electronics to hook them up, so I bought them as-is. Panels are at least 14 years old.

I got them home, and hooked them up to find that the soundstage is pulled over to one speaker. Both speakers seem to have a solid full range coming out, but based on the soundstage collapsing to one side, I am assuming there is a big enough difference in panel output L-R. I swaped a few things around, and it definitely seems that the soundstage is following one of the speakers.

A few questions for you guys:
1) Any thoughts on the differentials in level? Is it possible that something happened while they were in storage? Any suggestions on the potential issue and how to remedy it?

2) I bought these as-is, unheard from the seller. I definitely would have negotiated something at his place if I could have been able to detect this level difference before paying. I have talked with him and he has tentatively offered to refund some of the money if I feel that the dealing was unfair. I am honestly not sure what to ask for? I told him that technically, we were good as I bought them as-is. That being said, I did trust his word that they were working 100%. Long story long-what would you guys consider fair market value for a pair of CLS I in fair cosmetic condition, but in need of panels?

The good news is that the sound coming from them is beautiful! I am glad to have a set of CLS back in my possession.

Hi Guys,

I finally found a pair of CLS-I speakers within 5 hours of my place (yea!), so I went and picked them up last night. I bought them as being in fair condition for a set of CLS-1 cosmetically, but was told by the owner (seemed very upfront and honest) that they were perfectly fine before being put into storage a few months prior to the sale. He didn't have electronics to hook them up, so I bought them as-is. Panels are at least 14 years old.

I got them home, and hooked them up to find that the soundstage is pulled over to one speaker. Both speakers seem to have a solid full range coming out, but based on the soundstage collapsing to one side, I am assuming there is a big enough difference in panel output L-R. I swaped a few things around, and it definitely seems that the soundstage is following one of the speakers.

A few questions for you guys:
1) Any thoughts on the differentials in level? Is it possible that something happened while they were in storage? Any suggestions on the potential issue and how to remedy it?

2) I bought these as-is, unheard from the seller. I definitely would have negotiated something at his place if I could have been able to detect this level difference before paying. I have talked with him and he has tentatively offered to refund some of the money if I feel that the dealing was unfair. I am honestly not sure what to ask for? I told him that technically, we were good as I bought them as-is. That being said, I did trust his word that they were working 100%. Long story long-what would you guys consider fair market value for a pair of CLS I in fair cosmetic condition, but in need of panels?

The good news is that the sound coming from them is beautiful! I am glad to have a set of CLS back in my possession.

Hola...my best advise to you is contact ML for panel replacement instructions. You can wash the panels, yes wash with mild water specially to their sides of both stat panels. Just running water for about 5 minutes. Sometimes this makes to panels to "come back to life" again. Swapp the power supplies, this will make sure to you that it is a panel issue. It is better to do the job with a friend, because taking the panel out of the frame is a little bit complicated, but once you leaned how to do it, it would be an easy task. There are four allen screws securing the power supply to the frame. You could have a bad power supply too. You need the help with a friend too. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola...my best advise to you is contact ML for panel replacement instructions. You can wash the panels, yes wash with mild water specially to their sides of both stat panels. Just running water for about 5 minutes. Sometimes this makes to panels to "come back to life" again. Swapp the power supplies, this will make sure to you that it is a panel issue. It is better to do the job with a friend, because taking the panel out of the frame is a little bit complicated, but once you leaned how to do it, it would be an easy task. There are four allen screws securing the power supply to the frame. You could have a bad power supply too. You need the help with a friend too. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks Roberto. How long do I need to leave the panels unplugged before the inside of the electronics box would be safe to work with?

Are you sure you have the toe in, distance from back wall, and vertical azimuth set exactly the same?

Your comment about both panels sounding full gives me pause that you need new panels.

Yes, they are that sensitive and I owned the CLS2A's in the past.

GG

Are you sure you have the toe in, distance from back wall, and vertical azimuth set exactly the same?

Your comment about both panels sounding full gives me pause that you need new panels.

Yes, they are that sensitive and I owned the CLS2A's in the past.

GG

Good point, and I know they are that sensitive as well. I swapped locations from L-R, and the soundstage moved to the other side, same position in relation to the other speaker. This was one of my first thoughts, but I think the L-R swap with same result makes the positioning option unlikely.

100% panel failure. Washing is a band aid on a wart. It will not fix them. When the go they go. Its nothing you can do. Its $1500 +shipping for new ones. I know Im in the same boat. :confused: That being said you will not get a set of $1500 speakers sounding anywhere near what a CLS can do. Go for it and tell the guy you bought them off to make a offer as to what he thinks is fair and be done with it.

Thanks Roberto. How long do I need to leave the panels unplugged before the inside of the electronics box would be safe to work with?
Over night is enough. Trust me, the washing works! I have many customers, here in Costa Rica, that had done the washing with excelent results. There is nothing wrong to try it. You can save some money. I had previous done it and really works. All what you can lose is a little water and the effot and time to do it. Contact Mrs. Melodie. She will help you out with all the instructions to take the panels off the frame. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Average expected lifetime of panels is supposed to be 15 years. Coincidence.

Well if you wash them, you may postpone the $1500.00 purchase for awhile. If it doesn't help, you have gained experience.

Back