Need impedence curve?-ML will not give it!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raanan

Reaction score
I requested the impedence curve for my CLS IIAs from ML,because a friend wanted to wind transformers for his SE amps to custom match the speakers' curves.Heard from Jim Powers who wrote that ML's policy is not to release curves,and that he could not help me.Disappointing and frustrating!!!
The speakers' curves are so problematical to begin with,and rather than invest a year's salary in some heavy muscled tube amp,I was trying to find an elegant solution.ML's attitude is extremely frustrating,to say the least.I have difficulty in understanding this approach,which is less than helpful,both to customers and to themselves.Their interest should be helping ML owners get the most out of their speakers.What do you think?Raanan

ML Customer Service in Question?

raanan,

I would recommend that you call Jim Powers at ML and communicate directly with him personally. The main question for Mr. Powers would be; What is the reason(s) why he can not give you the CLS IIA's impedance curves?
I have a feeling it has to do with protecting ML's patents for their speakers eletrical designs, but I could be wrong... You'll have to assertain that from Jim Powers in your conversation with him.

Let us know what happens. ;)

Just as an side note though, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the customer service ML delivers, especially the excellent service Jim Powers personally provides. I hope he gives you a good explanation, Good Luck. :)

I called Jim once and told him exactly what I was doing (trying to build an amp) and I was concerned about making sure the amp was sufficient in all the right places to drive my ML's in most effective fashion.

Trust me, he will verbally tell you everything you need to know about you project and still remain within his obvious commitment/duty to ML.

Dominick

I've found (and I did this just this week) that ML service is top notch.

Jim and Co. will do everything they can to help within reason.

I suggest looking on the web for reviews, many of which include impedance curves.

I will say this for a CLS. You might want to add a high capacity (50Watt) 1 Ohm resistance load between your amp and the CLS. This will mitigate the impedance issue.

Actually, if you have a Sunfire amp (my recommended SS amp), use the Current Source outputs, as they already have a 1 Ohm load in the output.
Heck, a Sunfire even drives a CLS (or my Monolith Panel) without the extra resistance and it's fine. Been doing that for years.

From a design perspective, keep in mind that your amp is driving a transformer, not a voice coil. It will present a more reactive load than regular speakers. This is why a high current amp more important than one with big Watts numbers.

If you really want to know, just measure yours. There is always some variation form unit to unit.

Latest posts

Back