need help.............

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bboncorr1

im considering buying a martin logan setup soon. i was wondering what was considered to be the better center channel? im lookin at either the fresco or vignette. the towers will either be the mosaic or montage. what is the difference between these towers? i wont be putting them in a large room so if there is just a size difference then i think i should go for the smaller one. also i will have my own sub. any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.

Going buy the specs I'd say the Fresco, I am using one in my set-up and it works fine for me.

From what I remember about mosaics and montage, the mosaics may sound only a bit better but the build quality is quite a bit better. The salesman had said the montage is more prone to fall apart, especially if you like to hear the bass thump, so I guess it would depend on how you would use them. Personaly I thought the mosaics had a smoother midrange which made the overall sound smoother from top to bottom. Not to knock the motage. It sounded better than anything I heard in its price range.

FWIW, I went into the store ready to buy the mosaics but at the last minute decided to listen to the clarity's, and well, you know what happens next. A couple weeks later Aeon i's go on sale so I traded up and got money back to boot! No regrets whatsoever but I am sure I would have enjoyed any speaker in the ML lineup.

bboncorr1 said:
im considering buying a martin logan setup soon. i was wondering what was considered to be the better center channel? im lookin at either the fresco or vignette. the towers will either be the mosaic or montage. what is the difference between these towers? i wont be putting them in a large room so if there is just a size difference then i think i should go for the smaller one. also i will have my own sub. any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.
Hola, and welcome. The Mosaic has an aluminum 8" woofer and it is a 3-way speaker. The Montage has an aluminum 6.5" woofer and it is a 2-way speaker. For the center, I will choose the Fresco model...3-way speaker as Mosaic. Of course the Vignette is another option to match the Montage model. Both are 2-way speakers. These models are ATF tech. Very much alike and almost closer to the electrostatic sound, but they are not electrostatic. To my ears and liking, these are the cleanest winner on dymanic (using magnets) speakers. Go for them, you won´t be dissatisfied with their sound. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
im gonna go with the mosaic and fresco setup for the fronts. i have some cheap yamaha speakers for the backs and a sub. i just bought a sxrd plus lots of new cables and stands for my equipment i doubt my girl is gonna go along with me buying a whole setup right now.

unfortunetly b.b. magnolia isnt gonna be selling any of the martin logan speakers they have currently anymore. i havnt heard if they were gonna be selling martin logan anytime in the near future either. which means i wasnt able to jump on the setup i planned on getting. so i settled on some def. techs. hopefully they will sound almost as good as the martin logans i listened to. but i doubt it. i did get an outstanding deal though. every speakers was more then half off its advertised price.

is martin logan releasing a new line soon? maybe this is why b.b. is not ordering any of those speakers anymore. so if anyone is looking to get a good deal on martin logans walk into a b.b. magnolia and ask if they are willing to sell the displays. most of them have only been out a few months because after b.b. does inventory every year they swap out there old displays with new ones. they do this around march in this area.

bboncorr1 said:
unfortunetly b.b. magnolia isnt gonna be selling any of the martin logan speakers they have currently anymore. i havnt heard if they were gonna be selling martin logan anytime in the near future either. which means i wasnt able to jump on the setup i planned on getting. so i settled on some def. techs. hopefully they will sound almost as good as the martin logans i listened to. but i doubt it. i did get an outstanding deal though. every speakers was more then half off its advertised price.

is martin logan releasing a new line soon? maybe this is why b.b. is not ordering any of those speakers anymore. so if anyone is looking to get a good deal on martin logans walk into a b.b. magnolia and ask if they are willing to sell the displays. most of them have only been out a few months because after b.b. does inventory every year they swap out there old displays with new ones. they do this around march in this area.

Martin Logan pulled their product from Best Buy I believe...

I heard rumors of it anyway.

You would be much better off contacting Martin Logan and buying from your closest dealer than the Def techs.

Funny, that is my exact setup. Mosaics in the front and fresco at the center. The match is very nice and seamless. I would recommend not skimping out on the equipment to drive the logans. I originally had a HK receiver which sounded awful, much improved with Rotel gear and MUCH better with my current NAD Silver Series equipment. Made a night and day difference.

No point in spending 3-4 Thousand and not unleash the full potential. PS, you'll be pleasently surprised by the low end output of the Mosaics. It certainly pounds out way beyond my expectation.

Back