Need help with Descent Subwoofer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo T

Reaction score
I am using a descent subwoofer since year 2000. After moving from one home to another the sub is making a loud noise as soon as I connect the sub to Denon 6700 using denon setup menu. It sounds like the sub is on full volume even after setting the sub volume to zero. Any thoughts or repair places advise.

ML do not carry any parts for Descent sub any longer. Thanks for the respons.

Sorry to hear about that. As a last resort and it is a lot of work, you will need to haul the heavy beast to a repair shop and have them diagnose the problem. It might cost $100 but then you can see if the repair price they give you is what you want to put into a 20 year old subwoofer. If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a new sub. 20 years is a long time and that sub gave you a good long life. Plus, subs are WAY better now than a sub from 20 years ago. the big Dynamo 1600 has ARC and is a fantastic sub. It has been reviewed and lab tested to have very good performance. But you can try the repair route first if you can get it to a repair facility. Good Luck and let us know what you do and how it all works out. We always like to know! :)

Thanks, that’s exactly what I am going to do. But need to purchase a sub that compliments my Asscent, cinema and aerius speakers.

Last edited:
I am using a descent subwoofer since year 2000. After moving from one home to another the sub is making a loud noise as soon as I connect the sub to Denon 6700 using denon setup menu. It sounds like the sub is on full volume even after setting the sub volume to zero. Any thoughts or repair places advise.
What input on the sub are you using?
This happened to me with another sub when accidentally connecting to the Xover input.

What input on the sub are you using?
This happened to me with another sub when accidentally connecting to the Xover input.
it was connected to LFE and then tried the left in and got the same result.

Try using a cheater plug to see if it's a ground loop issue first.
Tried the cheater plug and it seems to work for a minute while setting up and then it went back to sounding a constant loud sound.

Sub is quiet with just power on.
Good so far.

Different home, different electrical circuitry. Ground loop hum is high on the list, assuming no physical malfunctions from cables, speaker wires, and such that might be causing a short.

When I've diagnosed hums in the past, by far the easiest procedure was to eliminate everything by disconnecting everything and building the system one component at a time. If that were my system, I would disconnect all the input and output cables from the preamp except the one going to the subwoofer. If hum remains, then plug the sub power cable into the same outlet as the preamp.

It is much easier to start with nothing and build than it is to start with everything and remove.

The most common source of hum in my experience has been the cable tv coax.
The second most common source I've had is from electrical outlets, including two outlets on the same circuit but separated by some distance.
This stuff can get pretty weird.

Good so far.

Different home, different electrical circuitry. Ground loop hum is high on the list, assuming no physical malfunctions from cables, speaker wires, and such that might be causing a short.

When I've diagnosed hums in the past, by far the easiest procedure was to eliminate everything by disconnecting everything and building the system one component at a time. If that were my system, I would disconnect all the input and output cables from the preamp except the one going to the subwoofer. If hum remains, then plug the sub power cable into the same outlet as the preamp.

It is much easier to start with nothing and build than it is to start with everything and remove.

The most common source of hum in my experience has been the cable tv coax.
The second most common source I've had is from electrical outlets, including two outlets on the same circuit but separated by some distance.
This stuff can get pretty weird.
It’s not the hum it’s loud noise that comes out of the sub. I have trued with two different receivers and it sounds the the same. I have also tried with two different outlets one was from the power supply unit.

Sub is quiet with just power on.
What about with receiver or preamp connected but turned OFF?
Does the noise only start when you turn ON the receiver?
Do you have a preamp or CD player with balanced outputs to try connecting to the sub XLR inputs?

What about with receiver or preamp connected but turned OFF?
Does the noise only start when you turn ON the receiver?
Do you have a preamp or CD player with balanced outputs to try connecting to the sub XLR inputs?
I decided to drop it off to a electronic shop and let’s see what they can figure out. ill post his results here. Thanks all for helping!

What's with all the blown Depth/Descent amps lately?
Seems like there is a design flaw that eventually results in a catastrophic failure.

Latest posts

Back