Need help with Descent i Connection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharok

Reaction score
I've a quesion regarding Descent i connection.
My system is 5.1. all the speakers are set to small in the receiver (Denon 3808).

I'm using an RCA connection between the receiver and the Descent i (using LFE In).
I can also use a "Y" connector to connect the receiver to the sub through "Line Level In" which has a left in / right in.

The manual says that using LFE In, the subwoofer low pass filter control, does not effect this connection. Crossover settings for LFE In are controled through the A/V processor.

But using a "Y" connection, the Descent i's low pass filter control effects the signal received through the input (left in / right in).

Is one better than the other? Which one would you sugesst me to use? LFE In or left in / right in

Thank You

As I understand it, you are correct that the only real difference between LFE In and L/R In is that the former uses the receiver's crossover while the latter uses the Descent's crossover.

I have a Denon 3808ci myself, and I find myself in a difficult situation. I don't know if I just can't figure out the settings properly or what, but I can't get my sub to consistently (or ever maybe?) get a signal when I attempt to use the receiver's LFE output. Meanwhile, when I use RCA splitters so that I can use L/R In, my front channel speakers have a degrade in quality (there's white noise in the line)

Denon 3808

I have a Denon 3808ci myself, and I find myself in a difficult situation. I don't know if I just can't figure out the settings properly or what, but I can't get my sub to consistently (or ever maybe?) get a signal when I attempt to use the receiver's LFE output. Meanwhile, when I use RCA splitters so that I can use L/R In, my front channel speakers have a degrade in quality (there's white noise in the line)

I have a 3808 as well and was having similar problems. It seems that when you run the auto set up, it sets the subwoofer to 'off' in stereo mode, so if you are using LFE there will be no output to the sub. This can be changed manually to use the LFE in the set up.

As far as which to use betwen LFE and Line inputs, they way I understand it, you want to use LFE for movies (because the sub is a discrete channel in digital movie sound tracks) and line input for pure two channel music. You should be able to hook up both sets of inputs at the same time and tell the 3808 which ones to use in certain set ups. In my experience the 3808 is a fantastically versatile receiver.

Back