Need help in choosing speakers for home theater setup...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stieger

Hi folks,

I can do either of the following options for my room, and I can't decide which way to go to have "better" sound.

I can use a current pair of clarity's for the L/R and a Logos center + scenarios for the rears - OR -

Buy a 6 year old pair of SL3's, put the clarity's in the rear and use the logos for the center.

the major difference - are the newer clarity's "better" than the 6 year old technology and speaker in the SL3?

I know the panel is bigger on the SL3, but the Clarity has the "newest technology" - please help, I can't make up my mind!

Best,

Stieger

stieger said:
Hi folks,

I can do either of the following options for my room, and I can't decide which way to go to have "better" sound.

I can use a current pair of clarity's for the L/R and a Logos center + scenarios for the rears - OR -

Buy a 6 year old pair of SL3's, put the clarity's in the rear and use the logos for the center.

the major difference - are the newer clarity's "better" than the 6 year old technology and speaker in the SL3?

I know the panel is bigger on the SL3, but the Clarity has the "newest technology" - please help, I can't make up my mind!

Best,

Stieger

Is a 2005 Dodge Neon better than 1991 Dodge Viper?

I would say the SL3 is better then the Clarity. I've never heard either one but I am sure you'll be receiving more creditable replies.

As an SL3 owner I would have to say that you will not be disappointed at all.

Remember that the crossover to the woofer on the Clarity is much higher at around 500 Hz. This is supposedly in the critical midrange region. The SL3's crossover at 250 Hz and the crossover is not in the critical midrange region.

Also, a bigger panel means better dynamics.

Lastly the SL3s have a wider frequency response than the Clarity. I know in this age of subwoofers this is often overlooked, but I say it is much better to have a full range loudspeaker than having to integrate a subwoofer into the mix. The lower you can crossover to the subwoofer the better chance you have of achieving a coherent loudspeaker/subwoofer integration.

I would go with the SL3's over the Clarity with confidence.

Gee, don't fall for the "newest technology is better" tripe, esp with speakers. The improvements are incremental IMO. My brother in law has a fifteen year old pair of Requests and they still sound wonderful. However, be aware that buying older speakers may require you to replace the electrostat panels in the near future and that can cost some real money. :)

Make sure the electrstats on the SL3's are fine and that they have been cleaned recently. Take a good listen to them and see if they have the same balance between the two. 6 year old stats could be just fine as I had a good 11+ years out of my old Quest Z's.

Back