Natural or Dark Cherry? Or Maple?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralflar

Reaction score
I think I may buy a pair of Vantages tomorrow. The question is, which finish? I have seen the standard dark cherry finish in the shop and find it a little to brownish and dark. The hue of the natural cherry as seen on the ML web site is too yellowish for my liking. I tried selecting the other wood options on the web site but the whatever code the site uses is broken. It does not matter which option I click on, the result is no image at all. (I tried both Opera and Firefox, even Internet Exploder; all the same.)

My question to those who have bought or seen Vistas, Vantages, or Summits in natural cherry, is: would you consider the color as shown on the ML web site a genuine rendition? If not, how would you describe its look?

The background of my question above is - I listened to Vantages and Summits today at Tweeter.

As expected, both pairs were driven by Krell (KAV-280p into KAV-2250), and were not properly set up. In fact the setup was really bad, more so for the Summits than for the Vantages. Different distances from the front wall, different toe-in angles, the Vantages too close together, the Summits too far apart. Let me just tell you that the Vantages sounded better than the Summits - in a large room! Within narrow limits I was permitted to correct the setup. Even so I was thoroughly underwhelmed. The Krells might have something to do with that also. Compared to my much cheaper CIAudio amplification they lack soul.

Even under those adverse conditions it was clear that the XStat panel is special.

Since I bought my Aeon-is at Tweeter in May, I can uptrade. They will also give me a 5% discount. So, a pair of Vantages can be mine for $5000 - $250 (5%) - $1980 (what I paid for the Aeons in May) = $2770 plus delivery and tax. And I will still have the option to uptrade to Summits until May.

Therefore the upgrade is a no-brainer, except for: which wood?

Joe,

Thanks for sharing your observations and the link to Joey's thread. The natural cherry in those pics sure looks gorgeous. Just what I want. Unfortunately they don't make Vantages with aluminium colored frames.

Raflar,

Good luck with your newly, er.. soon-to-be acquired Vantages! Those are truly good speakers. I'm not surprised by your assessment that you thought the Summits didnt sounds as good, but positioning is 50% of the battle when it comes to these Martin Logans. Anyway, Krell is good, but I am not very impressed with the sound when it comes to powering up the MLs relative to what can be achieved by properly assigned tube equipment within the system (i.e. tube preamps). I think you are in a good position as you can always move up to the Summits in the future or the CLX if Tweeter carries them within the next year.

Regarding the veneer, the Natural Cherry is a very nice veneer... and I'm glad I ended up with a good cut of it. I have seen some that dont have such a nice grain to them... mine are a little "swirly", looks like the veneer was cut from an angle of some sort.

Another great veneer is the Bubinga! It's not that much more than the Natural Cherry, but you will be one of the very few who have such an exotic look to your Vantage.

Joey

I can attest that the Bubinga is indeed gorgeous, and the variegated grain blends well with many different shades of wood. Your ML dealer should have a sample board with all the finish options, including Bubinga. I believe the "Rotary" cuts are yet another option, for additional $$ of course. I bought mine used, so don't know the pricing details.

Attached is a close-up picture of my Rotary Bubinga Summit.

Attachments

• Rotary Bubinga.jpg
    Rotary Bubinga.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Attached is a close-up picture of my Rotary Bubinga Summit.

Actually the picture doesn't give you the actual effect. You have to see the rotary cut bubinga for real to appreciate the finish. When the light hits the surface the grain and lusterous sheen really pops. The regular and dark cherry does this too but not quite like the bubinga.

I have first dibs on Sleepysurf's Summits if he ever decides to part with them. :cool:

I vote with Sleepysurf that Bubinga wood is beautifull !!

I've posted a closer-up pic which shows more detail.

Craig, I'm sure you'll be trading in your Dark Cherry Summits for the CLX in Bubinga!

I would consider that but it's not possible if the CLX is going to be priced less than the Summits. From a price-point perspective it would be a trade-down. Besides my 1 year trade-up window expires soon. There hasn't been anything to trade up to in the past year which is fine because I've been happy with what I have.

I would consider that but it's not possible if the CLX is going to be priced less than the Summits. From a price-point perspective it would be a trade-down.

Er, I meant WITH the new Descent i sub, of course!

Besides my 1 year trade-up window expires soon.

Well, maybe you can upgrade to the Rotary Bubinga Summits then!

All, thanks for the advice and the photos. You're the best. Natural cherry or Bubinga it will be. This will probably delay delivery. No problem, it is worth waiting a few extra days because I am going to live with these speakers for a while, at least until May. I'm off to Tweeter now.

All, thanks for the advice and the photos. You're the best. Natural cherry or Bubinga it will be. This will probably delay delivery. No problem, it is worth waiting a few extra days because I am going to live with these speakers for a while, at least until May. I'm off to Tweeter now.

Let us know how it goes with the Vantages...!

Bubinga or Natural Cherry... come on Bubinga!! (I cant believe I'm rooting for the veneer that isnt mine)

Joey

hmmm. You guys got me worried now. I ordered and should have my Summits next week. I got DARK CHERRY. Well, if I do not like them someone will have an opportunity to buy them.

Hey, Joey... time to update your signature, or just leave blanks to fill in with your latest upgrade of the month! :D

hmmm. You guys got me worried now. I ordered and should have my Summits next week. I got DARK CHERRY. Well, if I do not like them someone will have an opportunity to buy them.

You do know that you can CALL ML headquarters and have them hold your order and you can order another veneer, right? But you have to be quick... you dont want to take delivery of a speaker that you do not want. Call them asap, I called ML hq when I ordered my Vantages... and I had them switch from regular maple to birds eye maple on the spot.

Joey

Thanks Joey. They are already enroute to my dealer. Oh well, hope I like them. Are they that ugly? Like I said, I will sell if they are. No biggie.

Thanks Joey. They are already enroute to my dealer. Oh well, hope I like them. Are they that ugly? Like I said, I will sell if they are. No biggie.

I dont think they're ugly at all. It's up to you really and what you like or what you're trying to match (WAF and whatnot). I'm sure you'll be fine. Selling a new item like that is costly, can you not return to dealer?

Joey

I think I will like them. As long as the website is close in color. As far as selling them, not worried, I would be fine. I would offer someone a really good deal.

Back