Natural or Dark Cherry? Or Maple?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW. I've done a few A-B test and my conclusion is...the Bubinga looks very nice but Dark Cherry sounds much better than Rotary Cut Bubinga!

FWIW. I've done a few A-B test and my conclusion is...the Bubinga looks very nice but Dark Cherry sounds much better than Rotary Cut Bubinga!

Defintely!! The Dark Cherry sounds WAY better. I think it has something to do with the hardness of the wood ....:D

Defintely!! The Dark Cherry sounds WAY better. I think it has something to do with the hardness of the wood ....:D

What?!

The Silver Airframe sounds better than the Black Airframe!!

Joey :stop:

Dark cherry sounds better because of the darker background. Silver frames sound better than blacks because of the larger dynamic color range. The dynamic range of silver with natural cherry is about the same as black with dark cherry. For best results combine black with maple.

Cooooll...

What does the Vantage do that the Aeons could not do to your ears? I remember listening to the Aeons and the Vantages side by side and the first thing that popped out in my mind is the dynamic ease at which the Vantage is able to add that extra bit of palpability to recordings. I also thought that the Vantages are better controlled in the vocal regions in terms of tonality and overall air.

What do you think?

Joey
The Vantages definitely have more muscle and speed than the Aeons. Their dynamics are improved, much closer to cones in boxes. Listening to rock albums is fun again. I also share your second observation, although my speakers have run for only about 11 hours. There are some things the Aeons simply did better, particularly in the midrange. I remember that the Aeons also needed at least 40 hours to develop those qualities. Yes, they were floor models, so that may need an explanation.

The Tweeter I bought them from kept them in a special "high end" room. The sales person said his customers listen to a set of speakers for a few minutes each, seated where ever the listening chairs happen to be. Sweet spot? Kid me not. Buying decisions rarely involve sound quality. The women make the majority of these decisions. My Aeons were the largest speaker they had, and their original price was highest. Even at reduced prices they were rejected out of hand. The sales person believed they had less than an hour of play time on them. I paid slightly under two grand for the pair. At checkout he said "See you when you upgrade to Vantages :)". I did not believe him then.

Last edited:
Wayne, timm,

I tried raking them back. Of course that lifted the stage, but all of it. It also clipped the top. I had had better luck raking my Aeons forward such that the panels were almost vertical. I will try that with the Vantages once I put the spikes on in a couple of weeks.

I reduced the distance from the front wall to 3 feet, and moved the listening position back 2 feet for an overall 3 feet increase in speaker distance. This resulted in the loss of bass and midbase. Moving the chair back to its original position did not change that. Moving the speakers back to 4 feet from the front wall restored bass performance.

Then I toed them out to the recommended 1/3 rule. The music is less focused and less percussive. So I toed them in a bit more but not as much as much as before. Better. Next I will move the chair back by 2 feet again and see how that works.

Wayne, timm,

I tried raking them back. Of course that lifted the stage, but all of it. It also clipped the top. I had had better luck raking my Aeons forward such that the panels were almost vertical. I will try that with the Vantages once I put the spikes on in a couple of weeks.

I reduced the distance from the front wall to 3 feet, and moved the listening position back 2 feet for an overall 3 feet increase in speaker distance. This resulted in the loss of bass and midbase. Moving the chair back to its original position did not change that. Moving the speakers back to 4 feet from the front wall restored bass performance.

Then I toed them out to the recommended 1/3 rule. The music is less focused and less percussive. So I toed them in a bit more but not as much as much as before. Better. Next I will move the chair back by 2 feet again and see how that works.

Well - good luck with that... Everyone's room is different etc... When I moved my seating position back closer to ther rear wall my bass actually increases....when I move my speakers closer to the front wall - the bass increases as well - but the soundstage/depth goes south.... What I told you was based on my room obviously. Moving the speakers closer to the front wall should create more 'boom'...moving your seating position closer to the backwall should as well - I think (soundwaves reflecting off rear wall). You seem to be quite patient though.... I always want to throw the spikes on immediately, get the position nailed prior to break in etc.... I haven't heard the vantages yet though....

Did you buy the standard black or optional clear aluminium frames? I wished the latter were available with Vantages. Dark cherry and aluminium would look great together.

My dealer told me today that the clear coat aluminum is available on the Vantages--for an extra $1,000! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Apparently, they don't do the clear aluminum in house and have to send the speakers out for the work.

Still, that's a heck of a lot of cash to spend on something that doesn't make them sound any better...

Still, that's a heck of a lot of cash to spend on something that doesn't make them sound any better...

Oh.... on contraire my friend.... I have the clear aluminums on my Summits and they do make them sound better! What can I say, ballers ball!

Joey ;)

my ascent i's have the piano black and dark cherry finish which is worth every penny. they look stunning, and the WAF is increased over standard Ascent's

my ascent i's have the piano black and dark cherry finish which is worth every penny. they look stunning, and the WAF is increased over standard Ascent's

How do you have Piano Black AND Dark Cherry finishes? Do you have a black rail on one side and a cherry rail on the other?

Back