Name a Streamer that offers Playlist Functionality.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
What streamer or server device has a roon core that also allows you to use playlists? I purchased two streamers and neither one does playlists created from Flac I have on a Freenas. No playlist functionality. You can only play one or all items in the SAME directory. You can shuffle/repeat from the SAME directory. There's no way to make a playlist from album "A" followed by two from "B", one from "C", etc. It's one or all from "A" and then navigate manually to "B" or "C", etc. As much flexibility as playing individual CDs all stored on a disk.
Does anyone know if a streamer or server has a subwoofer out?

I think so. This is his reply to me:

I use Roon all the time and prefer it (personally) to UPnP/DLNA. It is typically easier to set up and supports multiple file locations. For example, I have set mine up to watch a directory on the Roon Core (ROCK) and my NAS.
You can also use external drives or any folder on any computer on your LAN. (I use these two locations because they are always available, plus my NAS has a lot of redundancy. I do not want ever to rip all my recordings again.)
Roon can also do a lot of other things for you, but it is an excellent choice for a server. The easiest thing to do is to purchase a Nucleus server. I have had my system since long before that was available, so I have the Roon Optimizer Core Kit (ROCK) installed on an Intel NUC I purchased for the purpose. It is not terribly difficult to "roll your own" if you prefer.
Once you have told Roon about the various places you store your music, it automatically scans those folders and all their subfolders for music. It then creates a database of all your music. It presents it to you as though it were all in one place: a single library that is comprised of
  • all your local resources (drives, network shares, etc.)
  • TIDAL
  • Qobuz
I actually prefer Ron's GUI to either TIDAL's or Qobuz's GUIs, but that is a matter of taste. However, you should know that you do not have to access those streaming services using their own (separate) interfaces. Roon unifies them into a single, really polished interface. When you "add" a song or album to your library from either, Roon notes where it can find that music and simply includes it in your system as though it were locally available. You can tell where the music is stored, but you access it like anything else. The GUI consistency is nice.
The Altitude and the Roon Core "talk" to each other for a more seamless experience. You can send something to be played on your Altitude from within the Roon application, and the Altitude will automatically switch to the Roon input. You can also control the volume from either the Altitude or within Roon and any changes are displayed in both interfaces. The Roon Core also knows the capabilities of the Altitude and just makes things work. For example, it converts DSD files on my server to 24-bit/176.4k for my AL32. It's quite seamless.
Does this answer your question?

If roon is hooked up to your home network, you could make folders on a drive in your pc that are effectively playlists. You'd have duplicates of song files, but drives are so huge now that I doubt you'd run out of space.

Hi Robert, This came to my attention. The folder idea works, but something like this is what would really help me out. I send this to you because I can't get to try it yet and maybe you might want to consider this.

mlsstl

1,087 posts
10-10-2022 at 05:31pm
You can build all the playlists you want with a Logitech Media Server setup, including mixing material from your own local library with other songs from Qobuz or Tidal, etc. The LMS server software is free, as is the player software, Squeezelite. Both can be configured to run on a variety of equipment -- whether Mac, Windows or Linux based.

Hi Robert, This came to my attention. The folder idea works, but something like this is what would really help me out. I send this to you because I can't get to try it yet and maybe you might want to consider this.

mlsstl

1,087 posts
10-10-2022 at 05:31pm
You can build all the playlists you want with a Logitech Media Server setup, including mixing material from your own local library with other songs from Qobuz or Tidal, etc. The LMS server software is free, as is the player software, Squeezelite. Both can be configured to run on a variety of equipment -- whether Mac, Windows or Linux based.
Nice! Right now I just stream everything from Tidal. If I plan on playing files in the future, I'll have to remember that.

I use a Lumin player, wondering if I can create playlists from files on my pc. I've not messed with it because I'm so happy with just streaming on Tidal.

So within Roon you can create a Playlist from your music already within Roon.

Click on the 3 dots to the far right of a track. In the pop-Up select Add to Playlist.

1666028132550.png

1666028171820.png

Then Select +New Playlist and Create Name for list.

1666028219393.png

Finish and Select create. The new Playlist will show up in the bottom of your Playlists.

1666028283598.png

I am very happy with answers from knowledgeable people familiar with the gear and software. Many forums are unlike this one. I am sure this helps me a lot and I am sending this to my friend who will explain it to me.

Latest posts

Back