My Summit pics... finally...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTB300 said:
Maybe for the Summit they would sound good, but like Audiophiliac states you have to try it first to see if it is a match someone would like.

I tried VTL amps during my search (Stereo 85 & 150, and Mono 125) on my CLSIIz's and did not like them compared to what the Plinius SA-102 sounded like. The Plinius controlled the panels like no other amp I auditioned, and in Class A was just amazing.

But again each to their own and we all need to try before we buy...

Dan

I'd likely take your Plinius amp over the before mentioned amps as well.

But I'd take the S400 over the Plinius (and in fact have).

tsd2005 said:
But I'd take the S400 over the Plinius (and in fact have).
Is that the Classe CA-M400? Unfortunately I have not found anywhere close by to listen to some Classe equipment. It has been many years since I have and would be interested in seeing how they sound today. They are very nice looking too - an added bonus!!!

Glad to hear you have found an amp for your ML setup, and it goes to show how different each of our tastes our, which is reflected in our setups.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Is that the Classe CA-M400? Unfortunately I have not found anywhere close by to listen to some Classe equipment. It has been many years since I have and would be interested in seeing how they sound today. They are very nice looking too - an added bonus!!!

Glad to hear you have found an amp for your ML setup, and it goes to show how different each of our tastes our, which is reflected in our setups.

Dan

It's a VTL amp:

http://www.vtl.com/pages/Amplifiers/S-400/

400 watts per channel stereo amplifier. Its a pure power amp that just makes my Summits sing, sing, sing.

I really like Plinius as well. Very likely what I might choose to go with in that budget. It would definately be auditioned between the Plinius and Audio Research... possibly Anthem. However my previous experience would lend me to believe the Plinius and Audio Research would have better Synergy.

For the budget I had, nothing I found could come close to the S-400. I regularly make anyone in the right budget restraints test the Plinius with the MLs as well as Audio Research.

Yes. We had the 7.5 and a big bad Krell FPB700cx on the Maxx II, and what a combo that was. I think tubes are good, but only in moderation. Too many tubes can be bad. You need to experiment and find a balance that works best for your speakers and more importantly your ears. :)

Audiophiliac said:
I think tubes are good, but only in moderation. Too many tubes can be bad. You need to experiment and find a balance that works best for your speakers and more importantly your ears. :)
Great comment......I could not agree more.

Audiophiliac said:
Yes. We had the 7.5 and a big bad Krell FPB700cx on the Maxx II, and what a combo that was. I think tubes are good, but only in moderation. Too many tubes can be bad. You need to experiment and find a balance that works best for your speakers and more importantly your ears. :)

No need for SS in the balance if it is done right.

jjqiv said:
No need for SS in the balance if it is done right.

My suggestion doesnt exclude that scenario at all. :) In fact it can go the opposite too. No need for tubes if you do it "right". Its determining whats "right" that is up to the individual.

Audiophiliac said:
My suggestion doesnt exclude that scenario at all. :) In fact it can go the opposite too. No need for tubes if you do it "right". Its determining whats "right" that is up to the individual.

Yes, I keep hearing about SS equipment that can pull it off. Unfortunately, like the common phrase around here: "Trust your ears", I've yet to hear such a beast. I always hear people talking about the warm of tubes. I have heard SS gear that gets the warmth, its the tone, body and texture that come up M.I.A. Same goes for digital. So far, it just a battle of conveinence vs. musicality. I would love to be able to forgo the heat and tube life issues, and be able to queue up hours of music at a time.

Back