My ML Dilemma (Home Theater Center Channel)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdmunn

Reaction score
I have followed this board for a long time but this is my first post (congrats to Tom from running this site). I am currently about to buy new speakers (and components)...my wife is actually forcing me too...got to love her.

I am in a dilemma:

1) I love the Martin Logan Sound
2) I watch 80% Movies (Blues and Rock the rest)
3) Center Channel is very important to me
4) Considering In Wall (Voyage) or Free Standing Vantage (B&W 803D's if I decide to go away from ML - more on that later

When I watch movies and TV I sometimes lay down on the couch, sit in various positions in my 15 (TV and Speakers) x 20 room. My main concern is having a center channel that will have both horizontal and vertical distribution to cover the various couches and recliners that exist in my viewing room. I am not concerned about the ML Fronts (let me know if I should). My impression of the Theater is is has a narrow vertical distribution which would cause me problems if I was laying down vs sitting on my couch.

I would like to know your comments regarding the center channel and possible solutions (for home theater, in my mind, it is the most important speaker) and your suggestions if another center channel brand might be a good fit for working with the Vantages.

As I mentioned earlier...I am also considering the Voyage in-walls for LRC. My problem is that their is no where to listen to them. I am from the Detroit Area (Bloomfield) and our local dealer ALMA's does not carry them. I called ML and they directed my to a dealer in Ohio but they did not carry them either. I of course want to listen to any speaker before buying. Is there anyone in the detroit area that has the Voyages? Can any one tell me the horizontal and vertical distribution patterns of the Voyages? The tweeter must be very directions due to the eyeball mount but I do not know about the mid-range ATF. Also I was unable to download the Voyage manual from the ML site.

I have not listened to the B&W diamond series yet but may if I can not resolve my concerns around the center channal speaker.

PS: My wife likes the in-walls....says I can get free-standers in our next house and take the in-walls with us...again...got to love her.

PPS: Any significate changes in store for the "STAGE" center channel

Thanks in advance for your replies. I will try to post an attachment that describes that room that the speakers will exist (the wall where the speakers will exist has one corner that is a hallway - will I have positioning problems with the ML freestanders)

Brian Munn

bdmunn,
Glad to see another Michigan ML owner here....

I wish I could help you out, but I don't have enough/any experience with what your looking for.

I'm surprised, but not really surprised, that Alma's doesn't carry them.

Looks like it's either Saginaw or Ohio from the ML website dealers list.

Good luck....

I'd suggest a ML Theater i. It's really the only speaker that I can think of that is going to give you the dynamics and dispersion you're looking for to cover a wide listening area. It is wall-mountable, but it's NOT a small speaker by any means. Just my .02 :D

Stage Availability

Speaking of the Stage: Does anyone have any info about whether or not it will still be produced because of the take-over? I'd be interested to know because I'd eventually like to audition it with the idea of a trade-in for my Cinema i.

Theater i .....

Dolfin said:
I'd suggest a ML Theater i. It's really the only speaker that I can think of that is going to give you the dynamics and dispersion you're looking for to cover a wide listening area. It is wall-mountable, but it's NOT a small speaker by any means. Just my .02 :D
Brian,

Welcome to the ML Club...

I agree with what, Ryan said above... :D The Theater i, has the dispersion and the dynamics, and is especially built to be a full range center channel speaker. The Stage, would be my second recommendation, but you'll have to wait for the Stage to be relased...

IMHO, I would not recommend ML built-in speakers. The stand alone ML's are much more veristal and easily mounted, repositioned and you can take them with you. I also like the dipole dynamics and characteristics, of the free standing ML's, which you will not get with built-in's... ;)

Good luck, on your ML journey... :D

Cheers

-Robin

My concern with the theater I and cinema is the mid-range panel. It would appear to me that the horizontal dispersion is fine but the vertical dispersion would be very tight (beam like) since their is no curvature of the panel up/down.

Ryan .. what is your experience with the vertical dispersion?

From my experience (I have a Logos), I haven't seen where the vertical dispersion is an issue. Laying down or sitting on the couch is no big deal for me. I am more likely to complain about sitting off center (left to right).

I do notice a large difference between standing and sitting down, but more with the main channels than the center. This shouldn't be a suprise to anyone though.

I have the Cinema and the vertical dispersion is not that tight. It sounds the same whether or not I'm lying or sitting on the couch. Anyway, when I'm lying on the couch (as opposed to lying when I'm standing up :D ) one of my ears are probably on a pillow so I'm not getting the best sound I could be hearing anyway. I would expect the Theater to have better vertical dispersion than the Cinema.

Craig said:
I have the Cinema and the vertical dispersion is not that tight. It sounds the same whether or not I'm lying or sitting on the couch. Anyway, when I'm lying on the couch (as opposed to lying when I'm standing up :D ) one of my ears are probably on a pillow so I'm not getting the best sound I could be hearing anyway. I would expect the Theater to have better vertical dispersion than the Cinema.

My experience with Cinema i also. I don't know if dispersion pattern with Theater is radically different. In fact, I doubt it.

Vertical dispersion...

bdmunn said:
My concern with the theater I and cinema is the mid-range panel. It would appear to me that the horizontal dispersion is fine but the vertical dispersion would be very tight (beam like) since their is no curvature of the panel up/down.

Ryan .. what is your experience with the vertical dispersion?
Brian,

I have my Theater i, in a small, former bedroom of my house. It is mounted above my Plasma TV on a special angled rack. My Theater i, points slightly downward, toward the listening area. All I can say is, when I lay on the floor or when I stand on top of the couch, I can hear all of the sonic dynamics beautifully, full dynamic range, full dispersion, volume is max - without redux... The sound is not tight, not beam like, in fact it's just the oppisite... :) Remember, the Theater i's electrostatic pannel is convex, which is perfect for horizontal, as well as veritcal sound dispersion...
And that's about eight feet away from the Theater i, which is pretty close... :eek: Your room is much bigger, the further away the Theater i is from the listening area, the greater the dispersion of sonic waves from the Theater i, the more vertically dispersed the sonic waves will be toward the listing area... ;)

Hope this helps...

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Back