My first service call in 3 years and 13 MLs!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
Well I was playing the Summits the other day and I noticed they weren't sounding quite right. So after doing some checking I found the woofers in the left speaker weren't playing at all and the led light in the back remained red. It's supposed to be either orange (standby) or green (activated). I checked the manual and tried a few things like unplugging to reset and plugging back but no change.

I called ML and they determined the internal amp must have gone bad. They are sending me a new amp to replace the bad one. The swap sounds like a fairly simple job and I actually look forward to getting into the speaker to see what makes it tick. I believe the amp is attached to the rear panel so it's a matter of removing and replacing the panel with attached amp and a couple of connectors. We also determined I have the older Ice Power control boards so they are sending me an updated pair of those too.

It's a bummer that this happened but knowing Martin Logan's outstanding reputation for taking care of thier customers I knew before I even called that they were going to do what ever needed to be done to make it right and they are certainly doing that. The new amp should be here by Tuesday and they'll be up and running again by then.

in the meantime, I have a pair of Aeons in thier place and they are sounding real nice with my new Art Audio Jota tube amp. I'm surprised how well it handles the Aeons since the speaker is rated at 89db and the amp is just 24 watts of SET tube power. The detail, soundstaging, imaging and bass is all very good but it's not quite what the Summits can do.

I've had 13 ML speakers over the past 3 years and I currently have 9 ML speakers and this is the first time that I've ever had to call the ML service dept. There's a good reason why I like this brand. I think I'll stay with 'em for a while.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate problem, but I am glade to here you are getting it taken car of. On the bright side of things at least they are sending you’re the new Ice power boards so your summits will be up to date.

How about some pics of the swap, when to get the new boards on Tuesday?

Art Audio is VERY impressive...

We don't have an Art Audio dealer here in Denver, but I did spend a great deal of time in their room at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last fall. This is some seriously seductive, musical equipment. I've never seen any test reports on their stuff, but even if it didn't test with outstanding spec's this is one of those brands that just sounds so good it doesn't matter. I'm sure they sound sweet with either of your ML setup's, but they must be truely magical on the Summits.

On top of that it's beautiful stuff to look at.

ML Customer Service is Awesome...

Craig,

I too am sorry to hear of your difficulties, but glad ML is once again up-to-scratch with their totally awesome customer service... ;) Let us know how the you handle the instillation of the new Ice Power amps... :)

I thought about posting some photos of the amp and Ice Power Module swap. I'm sure it will be interesting and it will be useful for future reference so I'll be sure to document the procedure. Thanks to Marin Logan, their outstanding customer service makes this a "no-big-deal" situation. It also helps having other speakers to fall back in case of emergency!

Sorry to hear but it is so nice to hear of the fantastic customer service. Hope all goes well for you.
PS - You weren't giving them 110% again were you?

Back