My first glass

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
OK so I had to know what tubes sounded like. So when I was in Taiwan I walked into a HiFi shop and picked up a Image MC-84L tube amp. Brand new I got it for $450.00. For $450.00 I did not think this would sound that great. I thought may be later on I can upgrade it. This is only a 15 watt tube amp, but the sound it made was just wonderful. All I can say is I am hooked on tubes. I know in the future when I build a true 2 channel listening room I will use tubes.

Is there anything I should know about the care and feeding of tube amps? Attached are some pics.

I just thought I would say WOW!!!

Attachments

• DSC00133.JPG
    DSC00133.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 124
Congratulations.

I'm guess that the owner's manual is not in English. If you can read it, what does it say? Does it tell you how to bias the tubes?

What speakers are you using, and what size room?

The manual is completely in Chinese. How do you bias the tubes?

From the speakers to the listening position is only about 6 ft. I am using a pair of Scenarios, and I am using a separate sub.

Cherian said:
The manual is completely in Chinese. How do you bias the tubes?

From the speakers to the listening position is only about 6 ft. I am using a pair of Scenarios, and I am using a separate sub.

Hola Cheerian...congrats with you new power amp...typically the bias adjustmnt is 30mA for 6CA7/EL34 and 40mA for 6550/KT88. If you don´t see any outside adjustment, it must be done by a sercive qualified tech. There are letal voltages inside any tube amplifier. So, if you are not used to them, it is better to find someone who it is...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
So, if you are not used to them, it is better to find someone who it is...
It's best if you can have someone make a house call. I was told they should be re-biased after moving them - how do you get from the shop to your home?

Thanks for the all the info. I hand carried the item from Taiwan to Chicago. It was my carry on. Got some looks when it went through the x-ray in Japan.

Cherian said:
Thanks for the all the info. I hand carried the item from Taiwan to Chicago. It was my carry on. Got some looks when it went through the x-ray in Japan.

hola...do you have the address of the factory? You could e-mail them to get the right instructions for the bias adjustment. It is not so difficult to do, but you must know what you are doing. Try to contact them...I think that they will answer your with no problem...
Regarding the adjusment, it is for tube life and there is no problem if you have it a little over the specs...only that could produce too much bias is shorten the life of the tubes, on the other hand, if you have it too low, then the sound will be distorted, wich it is not your case, right?
happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back