My experience with ML Requests

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScHenk

Reaction score
Hello fellow ML owners,

I have been using my Requests for years now and browsed the forum multiple times. Recently I got a set of ML ETC spikes and wanted to look up what members experiences are. So now I registered.

My spikes are different then the versions I have seen here. Mine are glossy black, both outer and inner part.

I have moved in Januari and am still busy building my new music room, so have no chance in trying the spikes yet.

My ReQuest are triple amped (not possible !), using a Aitos OTL mono amps (X's) , Burmester 911 amp for the Bass units and a Nak PA5 fot the Janis subwoofers (there you are!). I like to extend the bass till hearing limit by adding the Janisses and filter them to perform from 35 Hz till 15 Hz. (Tricky filter at that)
Furthermore Aitos pre - amp (the one with 24 tubes), 3 TT's of which the Versa Dynamics 2.0 is the prefered one, Home made Tent CD-player which has superceeded my Wadia sets and around 60 cassette decks (special hobby of mine). Cables like Transparent References , MIT MI-350 Evo, Harmonic Technology and Siltech. Most impressed by the Lapis Lazuli cart still.

I have seen a lot of areas in the ReQuests where economical compromises were diminishing results and tried to uncompromise a few areas. See the report here: http://www.nakamichi-schenk.nl/NonNaks_content/MartinLoganModE.htm

I did loan a few ideas from you lot, so I am in depth. Thanks , all of you.

Happy listening and be well.
Henk Schenk
Netherlands

Modding vs Rebuilding

Hello CAP,

Very interesting and impressive reworking you did on your Quests!
I recognise similar improvements we were after.
Lowering the panels has brought the center of the panels to the hight of the listeners ears. I, on the other hand, use a hight adjusteble comfortable bureau chair to do the same. Also I tilt the speakers to the front to beam downwards. This also avoids standing waves (somewhat at least, a lot more can be done to avoid standing waves and flutter echoes)

Do I see an additional subwoofer you use in the set with the Quests? I know why, but filtering is tricky.

Good luck on next endeaveours
Henk Schenk

When I ran the Quest's I did try a sub. It was always very tough to integrate. I never could get the right blend. I ended up not using one and playing with the adjustments. The Quest have one of the sweetest mid ranges of any speaker. I would have never sold them but the CLS I have now came up at a price that was to good. When i got them it was a whole new ball game. The Quest are good but a CLS they are not. That being said I had the right equipment to run the cls. The need a big am and room to breath. When done right they are like no other.

Welcome ScHenk - I am a relative newcomer to Requests and the site as well. As soon as I tried my pair with the nice looking 2 piece Logan spikes I found they were not really long enough to go thru my carpet into the wood subfloor, so I just replaced them with regular long spikes. There was a noticeable improvement as the whole speaker was much more secure and side rails did not move around so much - tightens up the image and soundstage.

I also mass loaded the top of the cabinet and it makes some small difference if I use my long spikes and a more noticeable difference when I used the ML black spikes.

I am enjoying these speakers and quite content until get the CLX's!

Steve

ETC spikes vs regularl thin long spikes.

Hi all,

Back on the subject here again. As RadicalSteve has observed, I too find the ETC points do not penetrate the carpet easily. I do force spikes to get thru by adding my own weight momentairily. Once thru they will stick there, helped with the 50 pound additional weight I put on the speakers cabinet and frame.

I also notice an improvement when adding weight on the cabinets, even more when added on top of the frames.

My Request are sitting on a solid concrete floor and stand very secure.

Still my music room is not finished. But I did install the ETC spikes and now see the smart design details. The small recess on the bigger ring fits over the nut inside the cabinet, so the larger part of the ring connects intimately with the cabinet over a large area. I can see that this fit increases rigidity in the horizontal plane over the regular spikes or feet. Clever!
I had to remove the clips locking the frame rails and bass front into their places. Otherwise the feet would fit on these clips partly, completely denying a good fit. I ended up taking parts of the clips to give room for the ETC feet.

They look gorgeous. The speaker is raised half an inch. Not much, but I would like it to go the other way.
I would show a photo, but have not put photo's on the web, so it is not to be.

Happy listening
Henk

Latest posts

Back