My Descent Speaker - Blown

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It has been a while... I have missed this wonderful forum.
...so I have this major problem my 2004 Descent is not functioning very well. It has a metal sounding rattle when I listen to anything with lots of bass. I think it is coming from one of the 10 inch speakers but I am not sure. I did had my Descent set to max levels. I have had to turn down all levels to middle settings. I was thinking of calling ML in Lawrence, Kanas but I wanted to ask you guys how I should proceed. Do you know how I could have this problem fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hola my dear Robin. What I would do, is contact ML service dept. Ask for Dana Brown. ( [email protected] ). He will guide you step by step, to track easier your problem. I think that when rattles, a loose cable could be touching the speaker cone, making this odd noise. Very easy to fix, and you could do it. Are all the 3 speakers rattling? If this is so, them the rattle could be something else. I wish to you, the best for the coming year, and a very happy listening! Warm regards from Costa Rica!

Wow! Blast from the past. Hey Robin! ML customer service has changed hands, but is still supposed to offer unparalleled customer service from all accounts. Definitely give them a call. Let us know what you find out. Also, please catch us up on how you are doing these days. Great to hear from you. We have all been wondering what happened to you.

Descent Repairs and ML - HT set-up...

Hey Guys,

It is great to be among friends and good to hear from you. I think the metal sound is coming from the left speaker from the control panel / center bass speaker. Roberto, I will take your advice and contact Mr. Brown at ML for directions on how to have this problem fixed. Thank you.

I have recently retired from working for the state of California (35 years). :D
My first project is to have a wall removed between two of the bedrooms in my house, making my four bedroom house into a three bedroom house. This new much bigger room (21' x 11') will be my new ML home theater room / guest bedroom. I plan to have a Murphy - wall bed set-up at the back of the room. I am trying to decide on a plan for properly positioned electrical to power all of my ML electrostatic speakers. I must also decide on what kind of lighting for the electrician to install as well. Actually my rear speakers - the Script i's are going to be a challenge. I am considering having an electrical outlet installed in the ceiling so I can have them suspended as well as plugged-in without the electrical wires hanging down.

My son and I recently attended a showing of "The Hobbit" at the new Napa Valley Hight Frame Rate (HFR) - Extreme Theater with Dolby Atmos sound. As you guys may know the new Dolby Atmos sound is amazing it is like being in a dome of sound with sound projecting from everywhere especially from above. I was very impressed. Have any of you had the pleasure of attending a film with HFR and in Dolby Atmos sound? I am planning to continue to fly my Script i's from the ceiling simulating a Dolby Atmos sound extreme HT experience - ML style.:cool: I wonder when HT processors will be developed for Dolby Atmos? My son tells me their were actually 64 - JBL speakers in the theater, which included the two rows of ceiling speakers.

Well, first things first, setting up my new HT room will most definitely require a functional Descent speaker so I will call Mr. Brown straight away. I hope it will not cost me too much. My Descent is eight years old. Do you think my Descent would be covered by the ML warrantee?

Hi guys,

It has been a while... I have missed this wonderful forum.
...so I have this major problem my 2004 Descent is not functioning very well. It has a metal sounding rattle when I listen to anything with lots of bass. I think it is coming from one of the 10 inch speakers but I am not sure. I did had my Descent set to max levels. I have had to turn down all levels to middle settings. I was thinking of calling ML in Lawrence, Kanas but I wanted to ask you guys how I should proceed. Do you know how I could have this problem fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Have you checked and torqued all fixing screws in the cabinet and elements? These do get loose sometimes and can cause leakage between elements and cabinet.

Torque checked

Have you checked and torqued all fixing screws in the cabinet and elements? These do get loose sometimes and can cause leakage between elements and cabinet.

Yes, at your suggestion I had my son check all fixing screws and they were tight. I do appreciate your advice. It seems the sound problem is coming from the center of the cone on the left and only when the bass is turned-up. It seems to be when the bass speaker is on long excursion, like it is bottoming-out is when it makes the metal noise. I will contact Dana Brown at ML. I just really do not want to have to ship the descent back to the factory. I am hoping ML can just talk us through a fix and / or just send us a new speaker with instruction on how to install the replacement.

Descent still on the fritz...

Great to hear from you? So how did you go fixing the Descent?

Good to hear from you as well. :)The Descent is still not working. I have not had time to called Dana Brown just yet with all the New Years craziness but plan to this week. I just hope he has good news for me. The Descent seems like such a well built awesome subwoofer, I only hope it can be fixed without leaving my home.:)

to your fears of having to ship your Descent, it is very rarely that has to happen, on any of our speakers. We have always strived to make our products field repairable. it sounds like a blown woofer, a new one will come with a complete install instructions and pictures.

Hola. Peter, this is what makes Martin Logan to be one of the best companies from the whole world! I am very proud to represent Martin Logan here in Costa Rica. The BEST SERVICE is always what makes to the user, to be safe and happy. Warmest regards from Costa Rica! Happy listening.

to your fears of having to ship your Descent, it is very rarely that has to happen, on any of our speakers. We have always strived to make our products field repairable. it sounds like a blown woofer, a new one will come with a complete install instructions and pictures.

Great! Thanks for the information. I will talk with them tomorrow.

Descent voice coil malfunction

Wow, it's Robin!!!
It sounds to me like the voice coil winding let go on one of the drivers.

Yes, from everything I have read lately, I believe you are quite correct. :cool:I have left a message with Dana Brown, at ML, I will broach the subject with him when he returns my call. I hope the repairs are as Peter has suggested - just to send me a new subwoofer speaker for a DIY fix.

Thanks

Martin Logan Service - The Very Best...

I contacted Dana Brown and he sent me a new Descent Subwoofer 10" speaker to replace my blow left speaker. ML and Dana Brown are simply awesome. I plan to have my son replace the speaker very soon. I will post a new thread on the DIY section of MLO site. I will include photos of the process as well. Wish me luck. :eek:

I contacted Dana Brown and he sent me a new Descent Subwoofer 10" speaker to replace my blow left speaker. ML and Dana Brown are simply awesome. I plan to have my son replace the speaker very soon. I will post a new thread on the DIY section of MLO site. I will include photos of the process as well. Wish me luck. :eek:

Robin, Thanks for posting in the DYI section. It's always very helpfull to see pictures and a step by step description of the process. Glad to hear it's wokring again!

Back