My apartment setup

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hartwick

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy guys

I figured I'd share my new (to me) setup with some Aerius I's I recently acquired. I'm a fabricator and business owner so I have access to a lot of metal working equipment including laser cutters. I made the speaker bases and stereo cabinet myself at our shop.

Everything you see here is constant work in progress at this point so forgive me if the room is rough around the edges. I have some GIK room treatment panels on order but I'm not sure what decade they will actually get here.

PXL_20220312_151655380.jpg

PXL_20220209_225713923.jpg

I use my M125 monoblocks I built from kits to run these speakers, they seem to do a great job. I still can't believe I built these and they actually work as they were my first ever DIY electronics project.
PXL_20220316_215324216.jpg

As you can see I have done some mods to these speakers already including extra cabinet bracing and Clarity Capacitors in the ESL crossover. At some point I'd like to convert the woofer section to an active crossover with full DSP and room correction. Maybe even build a new woofer section from scratch similar to the newer masterpiece series.
PXL_20220309_000507829.jpg

PXL_20220304_012323345.jpg

PXL_20220212_173806196.jpg

Currently both these speakers are getting a full teardown tonight due to crackling/popping, likely due to being so old and probably dirty. Overall I'm really happy with these, they sound unlike other speakers I've heard.

If the panels are popping or low in volume then you might need new panels. I ended up getting new ones for my Prodigy speakers. Martin Logan still makes them by your order. Takes about 3 months to be done. I'm very happy with mine.

If the panels are popping or low in volume then you might need new panels. I ended up getting new ones for my Prodigy speakers. Martin Logan still makes them by your order. Takes about 3 months to be done. I'm very happy with mine.

Yup it's a possibility, I'm going to remove the panels tonight or tomorrow and give them a thorough wash. They still sound very good actually and the issue only crops up when I really start to get into the volume.

I'm aware that washing the panels is somewhat controversial but I figure I don't have much to lose. Worst case they'll build me a new set for about $800 US or I could probably find someone on the DIY audio forums to make me some panels. I'm very mechanical but stretching that film isn't something I'm going to tackle myself.

After almost 3 years I finally have a working subwoofer setup. This is something I should have done 3 years ago as it made a huge difference, I don't know why I waited so long.

I resurrected a box I built years ago and added a whole bunch of internal bracing. I now have more extended low frequency than I know what to do with using an old Italian made Hertz Audio woofer powered with a pro audio amp.
PXL_20220324_230016204.jpg

PXL_20220325_215348974.jpg

PXL_20220326_000816426.jpg

PXL_20220406_232201105.jpg

PXL_20220406_232217801.MP.jpg

PXL_20220406_232223373.jpg

Looks like you race for fun too? I see the track tires up on the wall. I go to the track once in awhile with my 911

Your cat is really cute!

Yeah I live about 40 minutes from Grand Bend raceway in Ontario Canada so I frequently do track days there with my dad in my Z06. It's a blast to go bomb around and really push the limits of your car. What year of 911 do you drive?

That's Ellie, she was thrilled to have a big empty box to play in lol. Luckily she stays away from my audio gear for the most part.

Yeah I live about 40 minutes from Grand Bend raceway in Ontario Canada so I frequently do track days there with my dad in my Z06. It's a blast to go bomb around and really push the limits of your car. What year of 911 do you drive?

That's Ellie, she was thrilled to have a big empty box to play in lol. Luckily she stays away from my audio gear for the most part.
I've got a 2007 911 Turbo. So it's a 997. Sure is a lot of fun on the track. I've only done Mid Ohio track north of Columbus Ohio. I need to go back again. I've not gone since covid hit.

I see a lot of ZO6's and ZR1's at the track. They run great.

I've got a 2007 911 Turbo. So it's a 997. Sure is a lot of fun on the track. I've only done Mid Ohio track north of Columbus Ohio. I need to go back again. I've not gone since covid hit.

I see a lot of ZO6's and ZR1's at the track. They run great.

That's awesome! Another guy at work drives a standard 911 of similar vintage. I have some friends who've driven Mid Ohio bit I've never been.

Now that's a nice one mate! Very simple and gets the job done. That's the Classic ML look that made the brand famous across the globe.

Cheers and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Oh btw, this little fella wanted to say woof! To your little fella!

Attachments

• 20200416_022218.jpg
    20200416_022218.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
My kitty says "Meow" too.

View attachment 22569
Oh my! what breed is this? Looks very mesmerising... like an Egyptian spirit!

Here's our other fella, bit bigger though. This ones a better pic, he's actually looking at the camera having a pose...

Attachments

• 20200423_054515.jpg
    20200423_054515.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
noticed that ur stat panels have really dropped u need to get those pushed back up and put metal a tab to prevent it for happening again

Oh my! what breed is this? Looks very mesmerising... like an Egyptian spirit!

Here's our other fella, bit bigger though. This ones a better pic, he's actually looking at the camera having a pose...
Sphynx. We had 3, but down to just 1 now. The one pictured died from colon cancer.

noticed that ur stat panels have really dropped u need to get those pushed back up and put metal a tab to prevent it for happening again
Not sure if you're referring to my CLX's... the pic with the ginger tabby is mine. The CLX's are fully covered with the supplied black cloth!
Here's a better pic with covers off...
Cheers, RJ

Attachments

• 20210319_223352.jpg
    20210319_223352.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

They were like this when I bought them, I thought it looked funny though and figured they weren't sitting correctly. I moved them to the right height when I washed the panels.

Latest posts

Back