Munich Hi-End 2011 Hi-Fi Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Hm. I seem to be in Munich, eating Wasabi peanuts and sampling beers by the half litre. It'd be rude not to try fellow German brewing efforts, and I'm not even thinking about the war:D

Anyway, show tomoz so hopefully I'll be able to get some good media to share.

Photobucket seems to be down, so it is Tapatalk image hosting for the attached photos, which last time I looked wasn't great, but hey, armed with an iPhone and a beer it is the best I can be bothered to do.

So - iPhone pics of the deserted hotel bar plus outside and one taken earlier whilst walking round Munich should set the scene.

Opps - just discovered I can host pics on this forum via Tapatalk. Good:) But I had to go for compressed uploads due to data charges and the fact I'm feeling like a miser.

Nice business district hotel, though. The Innside. Recommended so far.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305922006.149219.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305922006.149219.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,461
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305922038.729617.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305922038.729617.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,441
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305922069.950797.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305922069.950797.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,436
Last edited:
Nice!!! I hope to make it there some day. Thanks for the pictures Justin

No probs repman. Better ones will come when I get back home.

If anyone is interested in anything at the show, let me know and I'll try and get you some pics.

There are four Americans in the foyer talking about power supplies.:)

Best beer so far Maisel's Weisse - rather like Leffe Brun.

No probs repman. Better ones will come when I get back home.

If anyone is interested in anything at the show, let me know and I'll try and get you some pics.

There are four Americans in the foyer talking about power supplies.:)

Best beer so far Maisel's Weisse - rather like Leffe Brun.

We live vicariously through your merciful offerings... Danke!

Try the Franziskaner or Erdinger Weissbier!

Audioplan do some interesting aftermarket stuff around power and isolation. AVM is a poor mans Burmester, you might want to hear their stuff, very 'transparent', the way the Germans like their hifi. Avantgarde Acoustics is a must to hear what German speakers are up to in the horn dept, Jochen Rake always pleases with his turntables, he and John Michell used to collaborate together when John was alive. Audiophysics speakers are interesting and of course Dieter Burmester should be a 'must listen'.

My 5 c worth of German companies to hear Justin, I used to help Siggi Tessendorf out when he showed in the Kempinski in Frankfurt where the Hi-End used to exhibit.

Viel spass in Bayern

Jeff

Justin , make sure you hear the Big MBL 101-Mkll and also the Scaenna setup!! they were awesome at the axpona show here in Atlanta also the Tensor speakers were quite good

At the show now for a few hours. Paid 10 Euros for a massive catalogue. Can't see ML are present. Disappointing but hey.

This show is huge. You need two days. Gotta say the sonic standard is high. Even the Burmester room is sounding OK:)

More later...

WTF? That's a first. :D

I know. I stood there in disbelief for a while... then figured if they can't make the stuff sound OK here... then where can they.

Must say first time I have heard Trios with basshorns. Best so far... right outside the AG room eating now.

iPhone Duo pic coming up...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305982113.580942.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305982113.580942.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,430
Trios & basshorns side view.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305982248.569370.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305982248.569370.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,411
Look poor but damned fine sonics. Worth looking them up... super fast bass...

These really are spanking good
... AudioNec "The Answer". Amazing across the whole frequency spectrum...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305985198.719385.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305985198.719385.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,409
OK - after the first day, I have to say, the Trios and basshorns trumped it for me - and by some margin. They look fantastic and work superbly with the kind of music I like.

Uno Nanos and Duos are good, but this little setup was extrodinary. For me, it certainly trumps refurbished Apogee Duettas and anything a CLX can do. Sonically, they are closer in character to Apogees than MLs. It might sound odd to say that, since the tech is very different, but I really was left thinking it sonic sig was quite close to Duettas + a Descent.

You must have a huge room for the AGs, and actually be prepared to commit a lot of money to such a setup. You'll be rewarded with huge scale, great imaging, speed and resolution. They just sound right, IMHO.

A music producer I tried to buy some refurbed Duettas off went to Trios and I totally understand why now. He got some Divas refurbed too.

I think if I liked classical more I'd go the MBL route. I wasn't that impressed with the Trios with the classical selections. But with rock and electronic music, the AG setup is simply outstanding. Excellent stuff!!!

If you love female vocals and acoustic music, then the ML CLX is still a real contender, I think.

Will consider suggestions from others above. Decent pics will have to wait until Monday earliest. The most interesting systems will have videos.

Having a great time, glad I came and the weather is fantastic!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Justin! Wish I were there to enjoy the show as well. About all I can compare is that the weather is fantastic here in New England today as well :)

Is there a story behind the young one in the surfing attire?

I stood up to take a pic, and she just got up and started dancing. She was loving it - every moment. No fooling a kid - no preconceptions. She knew it was good in there:) And it was...

Must check out the tech on those. The bass performance is super-good, and ultra fast. Fastest bass I heard. Literally near instant sounding. Best way I can describe it is that it nearly has the speed of a real drum kit's kick drum. Don't take that lightly - that is an achievement!!!:)

Oh - that AMR 77.1 CDP Necro has is superb in stock form. They didn't have the AMR DP-777 DAC there and when I asked the dealer about it he spoke not one word of English. Damn!!!:)

Just found me some Logans... clear spar, curvelinear etc etc... it is all there. Hm. They say Purist on them. Doing the Usher test disc drum thing I posted in the what are listening to now thread. Handling it quite well.

The one in the pic has a dented panel...

It says www.ami-hifi.de all over the room. Might be worth a look.

Trying to dislike them but I can't. They sound very good. Right design IMHO - bass cones up the side is a good idea. Panel perf is ultra fine, but they don't look as well made as the ML ones to me.

Hm... no evidence to suggest they have bass as deep as a Summit X, say. The desigm means they are wider but less deep. Compromises - take your pick (wink). So really, it isn't as clear cut as I suggested above.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306063403.622079.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306063403.622079.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:
They look cool....kinda like a little Statement E2.

Tj

The AudioNecs are 88,000 Euros and use a dedicated DSP computer - just been talking to the rep. It became obvious they were simply playing the same music over and over again - cheating a bit I think. Amazing sounding devices, though.

Looking forward to your always exemplary coverage Justin. Can't wait to see all the tasty audio pron.

Hearing a bit of buzz about the new KEF "Blade". Have you had a chance to hear them at all?

Last edited:
Back