"Multi-Mono Block" amplifiers...?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Joe (Zip3k07), had recommended, "Anthem Statement P5", series or the "Anthem Statement A5", series of amplifiers to me, a while ago... So, in checking out the Anthem Statement P5, I discovered it to be unusal, in that it is a, Multi-Mono block, style amplifier. Having individual power transformers for each channel. Check this out:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/P_Series.html

I was wondering, if anyone knows of any other, "Multi-Mono block" amplifiers, similar to the Anthem P5?
Does anyone have a Anthem P5, in their HT system? If so, what do you think of the sound of your, Anthem P5, when driving your ML speakers?

Thank you

-Robin

PS - Thanks, Joe, for the treffic recommendation. :D

Other multi-monobloc amplifiers

Robin said:
I was wondering, if anyone knows of any other, "Multi-Mono block" amplifiers, similar to the Anthem P5?
Balanced Audio Tech VK-6200
Bryston 9B SST
Proceed HPA3
PS Audio GCA-MC

Just to name a few...

Spike

Last edited:
Robin said:
Joe (Zip3k07), had recommended, "Anthem Statement P5", series or the "Anthem Statement A5", series of amplifiers to me, a while ago... So, in checking out the Anthem Statement P5, I discovered it to be unusal, in that it is a, Multi-Mono block, style amplifier. Having individual power transformers for each channel. Check this out:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/P_Series.html

Does anyone have a Anthem P5, in their HT system? If so, what do you think of the sound of your, Anthem P5, when driving your ML speakers?

Thank you

-Robin

PS - Thanks, Joe, for the treffic recommendation. :D

I do like the unusual don't I Robin? :D

I really like the P5; it is a 5-channel mono block design. Every channel is its own independent card; on every card is a row of compositors and a small transformer. If one card go’s out the remaining channels will still function while the card is being replaced.

I am thinking about going with Anthems Statement D1 processor and smaller A5 amp to start with, and maybe some day I can have my own house with a theater room, wired for a amp like the P5. I am also considering Pass Labs X5 it’s a small 125 watts amp but has gotten big reviews, I just don’t know if it can keep up with Martin Logan’s? Pass Labs bigger amp like the X250 sure can, people seem to love them with Logan’s.

There are two things stopping me from getting the Anthem P5.

1. The P5 has two power cords requiring you to have two dedicated outlets to your fuse box close by. I have one outlet that my whole system is on.
2. This thing is huge, weighting in at 130 Lbs. 9” H, 19” W, 22 ½” long. Its big!

If you have not yet checked out the review at Secrets of HT & hi-fi make sure you do, some very good reviews of the D1 processor, A2, A5, P5 amps.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

Last edited:
Thank you, Joe...

Joe,

You are the reason, I investigated this awesome amplifier... Thank you. And Thank you, for posting the reviews, for others to see, as I have already printed them out.
Fortunately, I happen, to have a high-end stereo store, which has the Anthem P5 on display. They are selling it for 5K, which is the set retail price. I asked, if I could take it home, for an audition. They said, "No, they could not do that", but quickly added, that their is a 14 day, return policy. :cool: :rolleyes: Oh well, at least that is something... :rolleyes:

My problem is, I want to purchase a, SS amplifier - either Anthem P5, or Cary Audio Cinema X, or Simaudio Moon-Aurora, or BAT's HK6200, for HT. For stereo music listening, I've been lusting after the, Butler 2250 amp.... I think, I am going to work towards my ultimate goal, in easy stages. I think, the next step, besides continuing to save up more money, is going to be, auditioning this equipment at home, if possible. It may take awhile... and I am going to have to be as, analytically paitent, as possible... Sometimes, I get so jazzed and excited about a product, I just have to have it. I have to keep fighting those rash impluses. Paitence is the key, and a determination for, no credit card debt.

Joe, do you know of any other, 'Multi-mono block, type amplifiers?

Thanks again,

-Robin

Spike,

I just saw your post,... Thanks, I'll check out those amps. too...

Thanks again for the help.

Robin said:
Fortunately, I happen, to have a high-end stereo store, which has the Anthem P5 on display. They are selling it for 5K, which is the set retail price. I asked, if I could take it home, for an audition. They said, "No, they could not do that", but quickly added, that their is a 14 day, return policy. :cool: :rolleyes: Oh well, at least that is something...

So you cannot present a Credit Card for the $5k and take it home for audition? But you can purchase it, and bring it back in 14 days? :confused: What's the catch? :D Any fees or charges for bringing it back? Sounds like people are following the Tweeter way of business...

Last edited:
It's a trust issue....

Dan,

I asked them, about my credit card. The rep., told me their store, just could not let me audition at home, because, (wait for it.....) "The Anthem P5, is a special order itiem". and "The Anthem P5, is the only one in the store, driving their main HT showroom". The sales rep. offered me, the use of his own personal, "Anthem P2". I told him, the P2 was not what, I was interested in auditioning.

I suspect, they just want, to be able to say, they made a sale. He told me, "The Anthem P5 has a 14 days, free return policy, with purchase".
Oh well, The next closest, dealer is many hours away, and I think, they know it too... :cool:

Thanks, for your concern, Dan. I appreciate it. It will be fine, I'll just do what, I have always done, which is - listen very carefully and use my imagination, "trust my ears", as to what the Anthem P5, would sound like on my system, in my HT. :eek:

-Robin

Take the P2 Home

Robin,

The P2 is going to sound almost identical to the P5. If you take the P2 home, you will have a very good idea how the P5 will perform in your system.

If I'm not mistaken, LINN builds their amps based on mono's as well (i.e.: my 5105 is a dual mono, the 5125 is a 5-channel mono's). At least I know for fact that this is the case for my amp (5105).

If you're lookin for SS for HT, definately try and check them out. I don't know where Calistoga is, but if you're near Santa Monica you can check them out at Sound Factor on Wilshire and Stanford (ish). Also, (and my eventual plan too) is to bi-amp the Logan's with LINN for SS for the cones and tube for the panels - might be to your advantage to check that as well.

These amps will run you anywhere from 500-7k on the used market. Check audiogon if interested.

-D

Muad'Dib said:
If I'm not mistaken, LINN builds their amps based on mono's as well (i.e.: my 5105 is a dual mono, the 5125 is a 5-channel mono's). At least I know for fact that this is the case for my amp (5105).
According to this SMR site and the picture of the Linn 5125, it does not look like the 5125 is of true multi-monobloc design.

http://www.smr-group.co.uk/components/linn_5125.html

Spike

Robin said:
Oh well, The next closest, dealer is many hours away, and I think, they know it too... :cool:
  • I drove 3 hours to listen to an amplifier that a local store refused to carry even though they were an authorized dealer
  • I drove 9 hours to purchase my CLSIIz's
  • I drove 7 hours to purchase my Plinius

Edit: Forgot to mention that these times were one-way.....

Yeah, go ahead and say it...I am crazy...but I did get exactly what I wanted :cool:

What is "many" hours for you? :D

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
  • I drove 3 hours to listen to an amplifier that a local store refused to carry even though they were an authorized dealer
  • I drove 9 hours to purchase my CLSIIz's
  • I drove 7 hours to purchase my Plinius

Yeah, go ahead and say it...I am crazy...but I did get exactly what I wanted :cool:

What is "many" hours for you? :D

I drove 4 hours (one way) this last weekend to audition the Summits, your not carzy.

Spike said:
According to this SMR site and the picture of the Linn 5125, it does not look like the 5125 is of true multi-monobloc design.

http://www.smr-group.co.uk/components/linn_5125.html

Spike

Agreed - guess I was wrong (happens now an again). Oh well. Before the 5125 was released, their HT system consisted of 5 5105 dual mono's. 3 to tri-amp the fronts, 1 to bi-amp the center, and 1 for the rear channels. That is a nice goal but a little expensive for someone with 0 income :)

-D

If you want mono's. . .

you should buy monoblock amps. One of the benefits to true monos is the separation of the chassis and the concomitant freedom from magnetic and electrical interactions.

Jeff Zaret said:
I should have figured that out since you are near S.D?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

S.D.? Is that San Diego?

I am down in the Palm Springs area, about two hours from San Diego. I grew up in the Palm Springs area and went to collage in Phoenix, I have friends out there I like to visit when I can.

I saw Martin Logan’s for the first time out there, if it was not for moving to Phoenix for school I probably would not be here right now. I would be sitting in my room with my JBL’s and Polks :p

Anthem P5 multi-mono block...

risabet said:
you should buy monoblock amps. One of the benefits to true monos is the separation of the chassis and the concomitant freedom from magnetic and electrical interactions.
risabet,

You are referring to monoblock amps., for my Ascent i (Front speakers), correct? If so, thanks for the good advice. :) IMHO, I think, magnetic / electric interactions with the Anthem P5, are mute, as the Anthem P5, is so enormous and massive, it is said, to have it's own gravity... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back