Multi-Channel Amp Recs ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munster

Reaction score
Strictly for my new HT I'm looking for a 5 channel amp to drive

prodigy's,cinema I, and frescoes. Price not important.

The Krell showcase @125w doesnt seem to cut it. I cant really audition

anything around here. Other than the P5 anyone have any good ideas?

From another thread. . .

Meridian 558 anybody? It'll drive MLs effortlessly, and is one of the best sounding multichannel solidstate amps you can buy.

Cheers,

David

Munster said:

I like Krell but there Showcase line just doesn’t do it for me. I would go for the Theater amplifier standard.

Well the Sunfire Cinema Grand has plenty of juice, has options for current and voltage ouputs, has balanced inputs for all channels. You can buy new, B stock or used.

I use it to drive my Cinema and Stylos. When my main amp went out, it also drove my Quests. Really good sounding amp.

Anthem is also quite nice and the ARC is excellent.

What could be better than the P5...?

Munster,

Their are other Class A/B (five channel individual monoblocks inside) SS amplifiers to be sure, similar to the P5 like, Sim Audio's Moon - Aruora or Moon - Titian. :D :p :D

The best multichanel amp you can buy is the BAT vk-6200 which if you dont have the money to buy you can order it as a 2 chanel and add extra chanels each of them with it's own power suply whenever you can.My second choice would be the PLINIUS ODEON which also you can order as you like(2,3,4,5,6,7 channel)and propably if is playing like the SA-102 is a supperb mach for the logans.If you don't have the money for this staff you can see the BRYSTON 9B-sst which has an own power supply for every chanel as well but with less power than the other two.My final choice would be an ARAGON 3005 which is cheaper it's not a monoblock design but it's powerfull enough with 300w per channel, very well made it's much cheaper it maches well with the logans.You can keep the extra money for a better amp later to drive your frond speaker which really matters to me because they are the speakers you can hear music from and turn the ARAGON into a 3 channel amp.Anyway i think it's a little bit silly to buy a very expensive amp for the rears because the only thing you will hear of them are the effects,there is no soundstage no music caming out of them...For the theater the most importand speaker is the center and all of these amps will drive it. ;)If you really want a single amp for all of your speakers then BAT or PLINIUS is your one way because they are the only ones that playing music.
www.balanced.com
www.pliniusaudio.com
www.bryston.ca
www.klipsch.com
If you ask me STRICTLY FOR A HIGH-END HOME THEATER and not for music PLINIUS will be my choice even if i bellieve that BAT is better because maching is above all !!!!
HEAR THEM AND TRUST YOUR EARS

Last edited:
This may not be the direction you want to take, but how about a Rotel multi channel processor with a 5 channel power amp? I think the power amp model number is a 1075 - around 120 watts per channel x 5. There's another one (1095?) that's around 200 watts per channel x 5. I don't think this combination would be as expensive as other recommendations.

While the mega-buck Krell and Plinus amps do sound good and are definitely impressive (especially to one’s bank account), the better values with Martin Logans are to be found in Sunfire amps.

I’ve tried others, including Krell, and keep coming back to Sunfires. One nice thing is that given how reasonable they are, you can have many of them and actively bi-amp the ML’s. To me, this makes a bigger sonic difference than brand A vs Brand B of amps.

So go ahead and get two Sunfires and go wild. I have three and love them.

Hmmmm looking up Sunfire amps on the internet yielded some positive reviews. Anyone else experience positive or negative experiences with one of These amps paired with their ML speakers? Just curious.... They have an interesting dual output scheme for bi-wired speakers in which the one for the mids/highs is supposed to be warm/laid back, and the one for the sub providing lots of punch. (or so it is claimed)

Munster said:

I did a lot of comparisons several years ago and on a price/performance ratio I ended up with an Aragon 8008X5. It is currently sitting idle, but plan to put it back to HT duty some day.

I am sticking with Chord amplifiers. they are more subtle, fast and transparent than most US amps, but they pack an incredible punch and perform way above what can be expected from their rated power. It saw off amps from Theta, Bryston, Parasound, Lexicon and Sunfire. At the moment, I am using the SPM 2400:

SPM%202400%20Bluesmall(1).jpg

Or go for the top model, SPM 3005, surely one of THE best multi-channel amps (lowest unit):

media%20engine_tower_blu%20small.jpg

Multi-channel amp recs

Munster; Good morning. As I own the Aragon 8008mkII, (the new series from the older 8008 group of a few years ago), I would ask you to check out the Aragon sound if possible. ( ex: 400 watts at 4 ohms and great bass with my Ascents). Price to performance is a steal in my opinion. (Check out my #125 system as the Aragons can really fill up a room with great music). I think the link to Klipsch will help. Is there a chance to get some information from Audiogon? Good luck and let us know what you selected and where you have to look and listen.

I know the Aragons: they have a big and full sound with monster-bass, but they do skimp the little details. For action movies, this might not be that much of a problem though.

Thank You all for your reccommendations. This is what makes this forum

so great ! I have become a 2nd hand buyer and right now the only amps

that have been suggested that are available on Audiogon are the P5 and the

Sunfire Sig Grand 7.

Iv'e only heard good things about the P5 so I think thats the way i'll

go. Again Thank You All !

Latest posts

Back