Mulit-Channel PreAmp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socialxray

Reaction score
The sad thing about the impending arrival of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is that all the current receivers and DVD players will be obsolete (well not right away but you know what I mean). To upgrade is a big chunk of cash. I want to get of of this upgrade trend and be in the position to have to only upgrade the source when new formats come out.

Does anyone know of a mid-fi multi-channel preamp for around a $1000 (or less)? Money is a factor and the McCormack MAP-1 is out of my price range.

Last edited:
HD-DVD/Blu-Ray are going to have Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD 7.1 encoded sound. Both of these new sound formats will be backwards compatible with your current Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, wile you will not get the full band with and advantages of these new sound formats without a DD+/DTS-HD decoder, you will be able to make the switch to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray at the end of this year, and up-grade your processor when your ready.

I would expect some of these new receivers & processors to show there ugly heads later this year at CEDIA ’05 in September, and the majority of them to premier at CES ’06.

Last edited:
socialxray said:
Does anyone know of a mid-fi multi-channel preamp for around a $1000 (or less)? Money is a factor and the McCormack MAP-1 is out of my price range.

Hi,
Outlaw Audio is coming out with a new pre/pro called the 990. It is due out anytime now, and is priced at about $1000. You can read more about it at their website's forum, here:
http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=34

Peter

Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD 7.1 encoded sound

Will these sound formats ever end.... :confused:

That is why I went from a EAD TheatreMaster pre/pro to a Yamaha receiver used as a processor and aseparate tube preamp. The cost of the upgrades from the high-end manu. cost more that a whole new receiver that had more up to date formats and feautres. For HT use the sound was very close to the EAD but the tube pre was much better at 2channel :D

EricE said:
That is why I went from a EAD TheatreMaster pre/pro to a Yamaha receiver used as a processor and aseparate tube preamp. The cost of the upgrades from the high-end manu. cost more that a whole new receiver that had more up to date formats and feautres. For HT use the sound was very close to the EAD but the tube pre was much better at 2channel

I did the same thing with an ARC Pre - SP16L, and a Yamaha HT Receiver - and got the same results as you. Two channel is better. In my setup, I pre-out Fronts (back through HT loop) and Surrounds to dedicated amps in a 7.1 For movies during family time, this setup performs quite well.

Dan

socialxray said:
The sad thing about the impending arrival of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is that all the current receivers and DVD players will be obsolete (well not right away but you know what I mean). To upgrade is a big chunk of cash. I want to get of of this upgrade trend and be in the position to have to only upgrade the source when new formats come out.

The more price accessible YBA equipment (I forget the name of the company) has a $900 5 ch. analog preamp. I think the Stereophile "In the Round" archives discusses it briefly.

I own a Harman Kardon Signature 1.0. Being an analog 7.1 pre-amplifier, it has no decoder at all... If something has to be changed in my case, it will be the DVD / Blu-Ray / HD-DVD / whatsoever reader only... :)

Back