msbs200

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifinutt

Reaction score
msb have had rave reviews with their monoblock power amps and these would be fine with summit x

they now have a more compact s200 which sounds pretty damm good apparently
only thing is they reckon in their video it might struggle with 1 ohm loads

I don`t listen at great volumes , do you think it would be worth using with some summit x , I currently use some beautiful belles m200 monoblocks but need to reduce box count

Hola. I have customers using as low as 20 watts/channel with the self powered models and they report that are very happy. If you use for listening moderated level, there is no reason why you should not. You will find here too, that some of valued members, will say the contrary. Let your ears decide, and please tell us your findings. Happy listening!

I'm pretty sure it'll be OK Phil as the Summit X is 0.7 Ohms at frequencies you can't hear. It is really a nominal 4 Ohm load, not a 1 Ohm Scintilla, which it doesn't have the Watts for anyway.

Heard this amp, or the 201 at Munich in a number of rooms. I think it is probably excellent as it certainly seemed that way on multiple short term exposures.

Try it first though, and I reckon it is worth a try. Duvet seem to like it a lot:)

Haven't heard of that brand until now but all my ML's have loved high power. Check and see if they offer a trial period, then it's a no brainer!

Hola. With all respect, not to the new models with built in power amplifiers. These models offers to you, the possibility to use any kind of power amplifier, small in wattage or big in wattage. Their sensitivity is very high, 92dB/2.83V/m. Older models, high power is a must. Also, big wattage monsters, we all know that they lack the salt or the pepper that you find in the lessed power amplifiers. What you do need, is an amplifier capable to work stable with low impedance, and in the market place on these days, are a lot that meets all these need. Do not worry about their specs, trust your ears! I had found that amplifiers specifications are only a guide, and not necessary a sign of good sound. Happy listening!

Hola. With all respect, not to the new models with built in power amplifiers. These models offers to you, the possibility to use any kind of power amplifier, small in wattage or big in wattage. Their sensitivity is very high, 92dB/2.83V/m. Older models, high power is a must. Also, big wattage monsters, we all know that they lack the salt or the pepper that you find in the lessed power amplifiers. What you do need, is an amplifier capable to work stable with low impedance, and in the market place on these days, are a lot that meets all these need. Do not worry about their specs, trust your ears! I had found that amplifiers specifications are only a guide, and not necessary a sign of good sound. Happy listening!

Roberto, your experience and knowledge are light years ahead of mine. For the record though, all my ML's have been passive. My Theos have benefitted from the jump in power I just made.

Last edited:
Hahahaha, you are too much, my friend!... you will find members that still think that they do need a lot of power, which it is not true on these days. They are build very sturdy, and can handle a lot of RMS power without any stress or damage to them, but if you are listening to a moderated level, you can use as low as 20 Watts/channel with no problem. By the way, your new Theos, are a great product too. You have the latest panel, with outstanding features, like dynamics, extended highs, and greater resolution. Their sensitivity is very good, and also, if you read their specs, Martin Logan claims that you can use an amplifier with a wattage power as low as 20 Watts/channel. Also, their are very friendly with impedance. Only at a very high frequency, where we don't listen, is the timbre and echoes are here. Yes these frequencies are important. but nothing to die for, and most today's amplifiers reproduce them without any problem. Your amp is very powerful, and please understand that I am not against high power amplifiers, what I am saying, is that you can try smaller wattage amps, that have a very sweet and well balanced sound that you can try with the newer models, including yours too. These small amps have a great holographic feature, with a liquid mid-range that you get goose bumps very often. Happy listening!

Hahahaha, you are too much, my friend!... you will find members that still think that they do need a lot of power, which it is not true on these days. They are build very sturdy, and can handle a lot of RMS power without any stress or damage to them, but if you are listening to a moderated level, you can use as low as 20 Watts/channel with no problem.

What is this "moderated level" thing you speak of? ;-)

A level where you do not get your ears hurt. A pleasant level, not over 95dB of SPL. I did measure the SPL live at our National Theatre of the 9th symphony of Beethoven, over 100 musicians playing and singing at the same time. I was sitting at the third rod next to the stage, and never the sound was over 93dB. I do know that rock music and sometimes live amplified jazz could be over 110 dB, but your ears will get hurt if you expose them to such high SPL level. There is no need to play the music too loud to get the sense of been there. Listen how loud is an unplugged live piano, and play your system at that level. If you have the DVD of Jeff Beck performing live at the Ronnie Soctts, you will see the drummer using ear plugs, because he is playing very high. He is protecting his ears from himself. Happy listening!

Hahahaha, you are too much, my friend!... you will find members that still think that they do need a lot of power, which it is not true on these days. They are build very sturdy, and can handle a lot of RMS power without any stress or damage to them, but if you are listening to a moderated level, you can use as low as 20 Watts/channel with no problem. By the way, your new Theos, are a great product too. You have the latest panel, with outstanding features, like dynamics, extended highs, and greater resolution. Their sensitivity is very good, and also, if you read their specs, Martin Logan claims that you can use an amplifier with a wattage power as low as 20 Watts/channel. Also, their are very friendly with impedance. Only at a very high frequency, where we don't listen, is the timbre and echoes are here. Yes these frequencies are important. but nothing to die for, and most today's amplifiers reproduce them without any problem. Your amp is very powerful, and please understand that I am not against high power amplifiers, what I am saying, is that you can try smaller wattage amps, that have a very sweet and well balanced sound that you can try with the newer models, including yours too. These small amps have a great holographic feature, with a liquid mid-range that you get goose bumps very often. Happy listening!

yes I was reading a review in a magazine about the ethos which agreed with you

Hola. Well, when I visited your beautiful country, I realize that the average houses have small rooms, like we do here in Costa Rica, too. Of course you have big houses, and also big rooms, and the Summit x will shine mostly in big rooms. Average rooms, 14' x 18,' the smaller models will work perfectly. The Ethos is a model were I was very impressed by their way to handle difficult passages, it is a great speaker with a lot of deep bass energy, where you can call the musical bass note too, not just bass. It has a great bass resolution. Furthermore, the panel is bigger than its processor, the Vantage model. So, if your room is not too big, you can try this wonderful speaker, you are allow to use as low as 20Watts/channel and also if you have big power amp, you can use it too, without damaging it. My advise is as always: Trust your ears! Choose the one that you liked most!. Happy listening!

Hola. Well, when I visited your beautiful country, I realize that the average houses have small rooms, like we do here in Costa Rica, too. Of course you have big houses, and also big rooms, and the Summit x will shine mostly in big rooms. Average rooms, 14' x 18,' the smaller models will work perfectly. The Ethos is a model were I was very impressed by their way to handle difficult passages, it is a great speaker with a lot of deep bass energy, where you can call the musical bass note too, not just bass. It has a great bass resolution. Furthermore, the panel is bigger than its processor, the Vantage model. So, if your room is not too big, you can try this wonderful speaker, you are allow to use as low as 20Watts/channel and also if you have big power amp, you can use it too, without damaging it. My advise is as always: Trust your ears! Choose the one that you liked most!. Happy listening!

FYI, people who can afford Summit X's will most likely have big rooms :)

Hola... I have CLXs and my room is very small. The CLXs are cable to work in small rooms, the Summit x is very difficult to adjust the bass. I am no saying it is impossible, it will be a nice task to do. But I agreed in one thing, bigger panel, bigger and effortless sound overall. Happy listening!

Hola... I have CLXs and my room is very small. The CLXs are cable to work in small rooms, the Summit x is very difficult to adjust the bass. I am no saying it is impossible, it will be a nice task to do. But I agreed in one thing, bigger panel, bigger and effortless sound overall. Happy listening!

You're just an oddball Roberto lol

I became ML distributor for Costa Rica since june 1987!... I must have the CLXs... no matter what. Before, I had the CLSs. This is a true history. I told to my wife that I had some saved money for changing the cars... her response was: Why do you want to change the cars? They are ok, why don't you buy those speakers that you are dieing for? One minute later, the order was placed!. Yup, she is a smart lady. Instead, to let me leaving some evenings to go to a friend's house, to listen to the music, now I do not have that excuse any more.:D:D:ROFL: Happy listening!

A level where you do not get your ears hurt. A pleasant level, not over 95dB of SPL. I did measure the SPL live at our National Theatre of the 9th symphony of Beethoven, over 100 musicians playing and singing at the same time. I was sitting at the third rod next to the stage, and never the sound was over 93dB. I do know that rock music and sometimes live amplified jazz could be over 110 dB, but your ears will get hurt if you expose them to such high SPL level. There is no need to play the music too loud to get the sense of been there. Listen how loud is an unplugged live piano, and play your system at that level. If you have the DVD of Jeff Beck performing live at the Ronnie Soctts, you will see the drummer using ear plugs, because he is playing very high. He is protecting his ears from himself. Happy listening!

Roberto....my question on moderate level was me joking with you. You took it literal :)

I started out in car audio in the late 80's. 140db will cause your ears to bleed. My system was considered weaker than the norm and avg'd 131 db. I've since lost more hearing than I care to mention but 110db won't do it for me lol. I like it LOUD!

Last edited:
Coolcobramatt, stay away of noise! That will make you deaf. Be careful, because with that high level, you could cause to clip your amplifiers, and that DC at clipping, can melt the coils of the woofers, and also, could damage their internal crossover. If you do like that level, Martin Logan is not for you! You are killing the music, beside your ears and the ones that are near you. I would not be proud saying what your are saying, with all respect!... I do not want to be like Beethoven, because I do not have his skills to play all the instruments in his head, because at his late ears, he was a deaf man. My ears provide me tons of pleasure, and if I do not take care of them properly, I will loose my hearing sense. Take my advice, I know that your were joking, but, deafness is something that I do not want to deal. Use the level of a piano, or a Spanish guitar, or a trumpet... not more than that. Brass instruments and percussion can play very loud, I do understand that, I do recommend to you, to use ear plugs, when you are exposed to such high level...really, you could loose your hearing. Happy listening my friend.!

Coolcobramatt, stay away of noise! That will make you deaf. Be careful, because with that high level, you could cause to clip your amplifiers, and that DC at clipping, can melt the coils of the woofers, and also, could damage their internal crossover. If you do like that level, Martin Logan is not for you! You are killing the music, beside your ears and the ones that are near you. I would not be proud saying what your are saying, with all respect!... I do not want to be like Beethoven, because I do not have his skills to play all the instruments in his head, because at his late ears, he was a deaf man. My ears provide me tons of pleasure, and if I do not take care of them properly, I will loose my hearing sense. Take my advice, I know that your were joking, but, deafness is something that I do not want to deal. Use the level of a piano, or a Spanish guitar, or a trumpet... not more than that. Brass instruments and percussion can play very loud, I do understand that, I do recommend to you, to use ear plugs, when you are exposed to such high level...really, you could loose your hearing. Happy listening my friend.!

Back to the original point, with an overabundance of power, clipping my amp isn't an issue. I don't honestly listen at a 110db level probably ever at home, and my car audio days are long over. I do listen to my movies at a robust level, to get the dramatic impact I enjoy, but my usual listening level is no doubt what you would consider moderate. Your advice is appreciated and understood though!

(and please call me Matt)

Latest posts

Back