Moving from Aerius i to Spire

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technomad

Reaction score
Newbie to this forum, but I’ve had, and loved, my Aerius i s for 20 years. I had however relegated them (reluctantly) to my less-used ‘analogue’ room when I installed a Linn HT system, as the Linn amps simply do not work well with the MLs. I’ve now however switched to Arcam amplification (AVR20) and the Aerius are back in service and sounding good (bi-amped from 4 channels of the AVR20). I have however come across a pair of Spire at a reasonable price - I won’t be able to go listen to them until next weekend, but has anyone made this change and what are your thoughts?

I have no experience with the Spires, but from what I can tell you're going to a much larger panel and have a built-in amplifier for the bass. Seems like a big win.

You might contact Martin Logan and inquire about the price of replacement panels, just so you're aware of a worst-case scenario for overall cost.

Thanks - I'm buying from a dealer, so they've got a 12 month warranty, which is some comfort. I've however not had a moment's problem in 20 years, so I'm hoping that bodes well for the future with ML!

In owned the Spire's for years, very good speaker for sure. Depending on what you consider a 'reasonable price', IMO 1/3 of original msrp or better, I'd say it was a good deal. Again assuming they have been properly cared for.........

Slightly less than 1/3, and appear well looked after - going for a listen at the weekend

99227C1F-28C8-4A1C-BFB1-01C37BAF36E1.jpeg
Here we go - i and my excellent neighbour (speakers wouldn’t fit my car!) drove over to Elite Audio UK in Pittenweem (yes, that is a real place) and spent a good couple of hours auditioning the Spires, with everything from Tallis to Morcheeba via London Grammar. Was sold by the end of the first track - that same Martin Logan character, clarity and musicality, only more of it, much more. Just got them home and will spend tomorrow doing physical and Dirac setup, but what an awesome speaker.

Having gone from Arieus i's myself in around 2004 to Odyssey's there was a massive improvement as you well know now hearing the Spires. I have upgraded in the last 2 weeks to Summits with brand new panels in them which is another big upgrade from the Odyssey's.

Long-time owner of Spires! Love 'em! Congrats! Can you let me know the distance from panel to back wall? Mine are only 2.5 feet which is problematic but unavoidable in my current setup which produces an ultra-narrow sweet spot. Hopefully this will change with an impending move!

Long-time owner of Spires! Love 'em! Congrats! Can you let me know the distance from panel to back wall? Mine are only 2.5 feet which is problematic but unavoidable in my current setup which produces an ultra-narrow sweet spot. Hopefully this will change with an impending move!
Much the same - currently set up with the back of the panel around 65cm from the wall, in a 6.7*5.5m room, so I've a little negotiating space to move them out a bit. Getting very good imaging however, but I've only just started experimenting with the setup

Congrats on the new babies ! Yep, Logans (all di-poles for that matter) will always sound their best when given room to breath, IMO 4-6' behind and a min of 2-3' to the side.

Congrats on the new babies ! Yep, Logans (all di-poles for that matter) will always sound their best when given room to breath, IMO 4-6' behind and a min of 2-3' to the side.
Haven’t quite got the room to bring them out that far, but they’re about 2m from each side wall, which definitely helps - I fact I ended up with them further apart and with less toe in than I was expecting to need - imaging is superb

Back