Move from Ascent I's to 13A's.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbill

Reaction score
Will I hear a huge difference?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but it is a huge investment. I've had the Ascents for about 18 years.

depends on your definition of 'huge' , a lot of audiophiles like to throw that particular adjective around ..... ;)

on the serious side, depending on the condition of your Ascents, perhaps. One thing is for certain, todays modern Logan Hybrids have far better panel to bass driver integration. Myself I can easily discern the difference on the older models

Last edited:
Will I hear a huge difference?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but it is a huge investment. I've had the Ascents for about 18 years.

I am going to be brave and say, YES! I hope you have a chance to audition a pair in a local dealer. But MLs have come a long way. Good luck.

Not a dumb question! If they're Ascent 'i' (with Gen2 panels and aluminum cone woofer) then with a $100 active xo (plus an amplifier) you can make them active xo in the bass, and bump up their bass performance.

Rolls SX45 would work....

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at a used pair on Audiogon, made a bid, and lost. So sticking with the Ascent for the foreseeable future.

BTW, I've auditioned the 15a's and they were excellent, better than any of the box speakers in the room.

Do you have a sub with your ascents? I find the descent works great with them. I almost think with an added sub the price performance ratio is off the charts.

Finally got a used pair at a good price. Very noticeable difference, especially in the bass. I don't need a sub anymore and the bass integrates extremely well with the panels, much better than the Ascents. Totally satisfied. These should keep me smiling for the rest of my listening years. The panels just have more of everything.

Everyone that has heard them has noticed a definite difference.

13A? I assume this, but you also mentioned 15A, so . . . .
Yes, I got the 13A's. Even though my wife has a very forgiving WAF, she was concerned with the size of the 15's when we auditioned them. And then there was the price difference...

Congrats. Pay careful attention to placement. You will be rewarded.
I am limited on what I can do with placement. I can only put the panels 32" from the front wall. They are 78" apart and 80" from the sitting sweet spot. The room is a very large living area, so the side walls, back wall, and ceiling are quite far away. I have them only slightly toed in, trying to keep the sound stage as wide as possible.

Yes, I got the 13A's. Even though my wife has a very forgiving WAF, she was concerned with the size of the 15's when we auditioned them. And then there was the price difference...
I had a pair of Carver ALS that were taller than my new 13as so I wasn't entirely surprised that my wife appreciated the look of the MLs in piano white. But when she saw me dust cover them with the black cloth when they wouldn't be used for a few days the room went a little chilly. She does love the sound though!

I had a pair of Carver ALS that were taller than my new 13as so I wasn't entirely surprised that my wife appreciated the look of the MLs in piano white. But when she saw me dust cover them with the black cloth when they wouldn't be used for a few days the room went a little chilly. She does love the sound though!
Every one is different. My wife prefers the look and sound of my Carver ALS over my 11As.

Back