Motion Slim X3 Soundbar

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone has owned or listened to this sound bar or other similar ones. Background: In my home I’m about to build, I’ll have a dedicated theater with a 9.4.6 JBL system. So for the remaining tv’s in the den and the kids playroom upstairs, I don’t want a complicated surround sound audio setup. But I still want really good sound in a compact and esthetic system. And I’m not a big fan of most sound bars. So I was considering going with a 3.1 or 3.2 setup with a passive soundbar driven by a decent receiver. The Motion SLM looks like it fits the bill. I’m also considering similar speakers from Triad, Origin Acoustics, and others. If anyone has feedback or listening impressions on any of these types of sound bars, I would love to hear your input.

I'd pick up this refurbished unit ML is selling.

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-vision
Great price and you could use that with any tv.
That’s a great find, Robert. And I’m tempted. But it isn’t exactly what I was looking for. The problem with these all-in-one units is that the technology (processing, inputs, etc.) changes so quickly and they generally can’t be updated. This one, for instance, is 6 years old and it lacks HDMI, much less e-arc. It only has basic Dolby digital and DTS processing. You also have no option of adding surrounds or multiple subs. The beauty of a passive soundbar is it’s just the front three speakers put into one unit. All the processing hardware and software are in whatever receiver you power it with. Which gives you a lot more possibilities. And when it comes time to upgrade, you just replace the receiver. You’re not throwing away your whole speaker system just because the inputs, processing, or whatever is outdated. So it becomes a battle in my mind between the simplicity, along with the limitations of an all-in-one system vs. the flexibility of a slightly more complicated but ultimately more versatile passive speaker.

My concern with this deal is that it’s that low of a price for a reason. They’re selling the new units now for only $600 right now. Which tells me they may be about to introduce an updated model. My guess would be one that has HDMI and e-arc, and who knows what else. Possibly better spatiality or even some up-firing atmos speakers. That’s the crux of my issue with these all-in-one units. If it was a passive system, it wouldn’t matter that it was six years old because it still wouldn’t be outdated. Speaker technology just doesn’t change that rapidly.

None of that changes the fact that this is a great price on a well-reviewed and, by all accounts, fantastic-sounding sound bar. And as you say, it will work with just about any tv using the digital inputs. So it’s definitely tempting to buy and use just to test the sound quality to decide if I want to go with an ML passive sound bar for my main tv’s. I can always relegate this one to the gym tv later on. So I’m definitely considering it. It’s just hard to invest any money into outdated technology.

Hi Rich,

Check out the Sennheiser Ambeo. Pricey but if I were in the market for a sound bar, this is the one I would seriously consider. Available on Amazon and Crutchfield with audition period, full refund. If you choose to buy this, would buy from Crutch. Everything they sell comes with lifetime product support.

Gordon

Last edited:
Jonfo, thanks for the ideas. I wasn’t familiar with the elac. But I have been checking out the Golden Ear and I like it a lot. I’m strongly considering buying the smaller version to test out with my current den tv, and if I like it enough I may buy the larger version once the house is built. It’s definitely the type of product I’m looking for. Right now, it’s a competition between the ML SLM and the GE. And the GE has a slight edge because there are a lot more user reports attesting to it’s incredible sound.

Gordon, I am familiar with the Ambeo, but it’s exactly what I’m not looking for. It’s expensive, and all that tech in it will be outdated in 7 years. Plus, they don’t give you a subwoofer output. I don’t care what they say, there is no way that 6 4” woofers are going to give you impactful bass for low frequency effects in a good size room. A sub or two is a must for this application. I’m not really looking for faux immersion effects either. I’m looking for quality speakers for the front three channels in a compact and esthetic form and the flexibility to add subs or surround speakers as I deem necessary. I do appreciate your input, though.

Back