Motion 35XTi as Front, Left, AND Center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newoski

Reaction score
I've been reading a ton of posts on the AVSForums and articles from Audioholics that seem to indicate that it's sonically best to use the same vertically oriented speaker for left, right, and center channels. Apparently it provides for a more consistent sound when sweeping across all speakers etc etc etc.

I'm currently using 35XTi speakers for my left/rights and a Motion 30i for my center. I'm within the return window at BestBuy for the Motion 30i, replacing the Motion 30i would make it much easier to get my tweeters the same height across all three via stands, and the 35XTi is actually cheaper than the 30i. If conventional wisdom says that it actually sounds better, then I'm all for it.

Just wanted to make sure there was nothing weird about the 35XTi that might throw off that conventional wisdom...

The tweeters do not have to be at the same height for all three front speakers. If you are even somewhat close you are good to go. Many people have there center channel under the TV where the tweeter is much lower than the L/R speakers. But, you just tilt the speaker up so the tweeter is facing your head/upper chest area and not your feet. The 30 Xti is very nice and the 30i looks like a fantastic center. I would just leave as is. The 30i has a larger dispersion angle than the 30Xti that is good for a center channel. If possible don't put any of them into a cabinet. Let them be free and you will have great sound! You bought the best now you can forget about the rest. Oh, and all of those speakers are all done around 60 hz, so a good subwoofer will be mandatory. All of us on this site have numerous subwoofer recommendations for about any budget level. From $800 to $6000. Depending on your room size.

Latest posts

Back