More tube amp questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff Aguilar said:
I was using the EH KT88 driver tubes. I had one blow out and did not have a replacement so I swapped them out with some of my EL34's I had laying around. One one amp, I have 4 EH EL34's and the other one is actually Cayin EL34's. They do sound different and I am going to buy some Svetlana S logo EL-34 from Paul and see how they sound.

I did compare one speaker with the KT88's to the other one with the EL34's. The EL34's were smoother to me. The lower mid bass was a little heavyier too. I really liked the way the EL34's sounded compared to the KT88's. To me, the KT88's sounded a little grainier. So much for my explanations...

What are you using in your TAD-1000's?

Jeff
Hola don Jeff...be careful, the KT-88s/6550s are not a direct replacement for the 6CA7/EL-34s and viceversa...the internal wiring of the tubes are different:
6CA7/EL34 internal connection:
1= G3
2= H
3= A
4= G2
5= G1
6= NC
7= H
8= K

KT-88/6550
1= NC
2= H
3= A
4= G2
5= G1
6= NC
7= H
8= K+G3

If you want to use EL-34s or 6550s, you have to take the amps to a service qualified tech. to make the changes...hope this can help!...and you are right...the EL-34s are sweeter than the 6550s but you loose some power output...happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Roberto.

One of the benifits of the TAD-1000 is the ability to use EL34's, KT88's or 6550's. The amp is set up to use any of the three as driver tubes. I had to rebais the amp for the EL34's. They do have less power output, but I really like the sound of the EL34 vs the KT88's.

Jeff

Jeff Aguilar said:
Thanks for the info Roberto.

One of the benifits of the TAD-1000 is the ability to use EL34's, KT88's or 6550's. The amp is set up to use any of the three as driver tubes. I had to rebais the amp for the EL34's. They do have less power output, but I really like the sound of the EL34 vs the KT88's.

Jeff
Hola...good to know that...as you can see, the difference is the grid at pin 8 only...happy listening,
Roberto.

A little confusion?

I'm running the New TS 6550 as the output tubes, EH 6V6GT's as the drivers and EH 12AX7 as the input tube. I will be trying some Big Bottle EL34's in the driver section, Paul says that this really adds to the tube sound of the amps. I have tried the 12AU7 as the input , great sound, not enough gain, so I went back to the 12AX7. I am excessively happy with these amps.

Very happy with the amps

Sorry, must have missed some of this thread. It has now been about two months and I am still happy with the TAD-1000s. I am running the tubes that were supplied. Output tubes are the EL-34s. Last night I blew one of the EL-34s during a party. Unfortunately, did not have a replacement. But drunk people have no problem dancing with one speaker playing. Ordered a set of 4 new tubes from Paul, and will keep the 3 remaining as backups. I am wondering, as an aside, why I seem to have problems when the source CD is a collection of mp3 files. At last year's party, both Aeons blew transformers. I called ML and they said that the transformers in my speakers were from a different supplier of lesser quality, and they repaired them for free. This year, I blew a tube (and fuse of course). I listen to music at loud volumes all the time, and have never blown anything when listening to either redbook cd or vinyl. Is this a coincidence or is there something about mps and Logans at loud volumes that don't mix well?

mondoribo said:
Sorry, must have missed some of this thread. It has now been about two months and I am still happy with the TAD-1000s. I am running the tubes that were supplied. Output tubes are the EL-34s. Last night I blew one of the EL-34s during a party. Unfortunately, did not have a replacement. But drunk people have no problem dancing with one speaker playing. Ordered a set of 4 new tubes from Paul, and will keep the 3 remaining as backups. I am wondering, as an aside, why I seem to have problems when the source CD is a collection of mp3 files. At last year's party, both Aeons blew transformers. I called ML and they said that the transformers in my speakers were from a different supplier of lesser quality, and they repaired them for free. This year, I blew a tube (and fuse of course). I listen to music at loud volumes all the time, and have never blown anything when listening to either redbook cd or vinyl. Is this a coincidence or is there something about mps and Logans at loud volumes that don't mix well?

Most likely suicide. The EL-34 probable chose death over have to bear the the fidelity of MP3's.

Hey, they weren't MY mp3s

People just turn up with them. I am notorious for not having any good dance music around. Which I am somewhat proud of, by the way. My friends complain about my music choices all the time. Don't seem to share my tastes in jazz and acoustic music and classic R&R. So people make dance mixes. And it blows up my equipment. Next year I'm hiring a DJ.

Back