More Feet/Spike Advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently picked up am old set of Aerius I ESLs and I found them to be a little tipsy with the speakers small footprint and sitting on the stock spikes.

I had some 3/8" thick carbon steel plates laser cut. I have holes in the 4 corners to accept 3/8" socket cap bolts that are sharpened to a point. The speakers themselves sit on some rubber isolation pucks so they don't excite the floor below. View attachment 22479
Any problems with bothering the neighbors? I notice you're in an apartment. I had a bad experience in the past where a neighbor was hyper sensitive and called the cops on me several times.

Any problems with bothering the neighbors? I notice you're in an apartment. I had a bad experience in the past where a neighbor was hyper sensitive and called the cops on me several times.

I've had zero problems to date, I live in an older building with thick cement walls. Unless someone is stomping like crazy on the floor above me I can't hear anyone, ever.

I also keep my volume levels pretty reasonable if it's late in the evening. The one nice thing about ESLs is that when you're sitting in the sweet spot the volume can seem pretty intense, but as soon as you walk outside of the listening window the volume drops off sharply so that probably helps.

I ordered a set of Gaia II for my Expressions. The Long 3/8-16 thread adapters are not in stock, so I won't have everything until late next week.

I ordered a set of Gaia II for my Expressions. The Long 3/8-16 thread adapters are not in stock, so I won't have everything until late next week.
Well, hopefully it doesn't take you as long as it is taking me to actually install my GAIA's... and I can't even use the thread adapters as an excuse! :ROFLMAO: I just want things to settle down in my system (and learn REW) before I install them so I have my best chance of hearing the improvements (or not)... Unfortunately, I'm always changing something...

Well, hopefully it doesn't take you as long as it is taking me to actually install my GAIA's... and I can't even use the thread adapters as an excuse! :ROFLMAO: I just want things to settle down in my system (and learn REW) before I install them so I have my best chance of hearing the improvements (or not)... Unfortunately, I'm always changing something...
We'll have to see about that, the Long Thread adapters are on backorder now. Last week when I ordered everything the dealer said the Long Threads would be shipping by about Tuesday of this week, but that didn't happen.

Last edited:
I have a hardwood floor on plywood/2x10 joists. Obviously I'm not using spikes, just the steel glides that came with the speakers. At least the speakers are 110lb (50kg) each but I've read this thread and was wondering if there's any improvements to be made in coupling the speakers to the floor.

and learn REW

Just did my 1st REW measurement the other day. Looks pretty good considering, just a couple of room modes at 68 & 158 Hz. 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 5dB.

I have a hardwood floor on plywood/2x10 joists. Obviously I'm not using spikes, just the steel glides that came with the speakers. At least the speakers are 110lb (50kg) each but I've read this thread and was wondering if there's any improvements to be made in coupling the speakers to the floor.

Just did my 1st REW measurement the other day. Looks pretty good considering, just a couple of room modes at 68 & 158 Hz. 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 5dB.

Just my 2 cents but considering you have tympani under your speakers, DEcoupling might be best sound quality option.

Just my 2 cents but considering you have tympani under your speakers, DEcoupling might be best sound quality option.

Yes, this is sort of the question, should I use a different type of foot than the sliders. The expensive 1.7" tall Gaia likely won't be useful for a 72" tall speaker. Would I notice a difference whereas I don't know how 1" diameter metal sliders couple to the floor? Also, this is kind of funny, but I am going to put an I-beam transducer under the floor where I sit so I can get that extra level of "shake" in those certain movie scenes. I like the room shake! Audio always has me :unsure:

Back