Moon i5 with Clarity's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

japalapalos

Dear All - Newbie to ML but not to audiophilia! - Great Forum and given me loads of top tips - Thankyou.

I'm seriously considering replacing ProAc Response D15's with Clarity's - I've Drooled over ML's for years - 2 questions - Room size 16 x 11 ft - speakers will need to be midway down long wall . Am only able to pull them 1-2 ft from Rearwall (space between and sidewalls not an issue) - How badly will imaging, soundstage etc suffer? I know It'll compromise performance - enough to depress me as I know I'm not reaching full potential? Moving House next year to (hopefully) Bigger Listening room.....Well, will also have to double as Family living room!) - Better to wait?

I'm a complete Vinyl Junkie - system will be 2 Channel , Turntable based (Avid Volvere,SME IV, Ortofon Rohmann, Groove Phonostage) - will New Simaudio Moon i5 drive Clarity's sufficiently? - Mostly Audiophile Jazz, rock & Electronica.

All member experiences and "Pearls of Wisdom" Gratefully received :D

With such a front-end, I would seriously consider the Vantage, but that's just me... The Clarity will definitely benefit from one feet more clearance (making it two feet), but it will still sound acceptable I guess, depends on how critical your are...

I think only speakers designed to be placed hard up against a wall sound good this way and still I think these miss very important spatial clues. Me? I would place any ML at least 3 feet from the wall.

The Aeons are substantially better the Claritys in my opinion. :)

I use the Clarity's with a turntable, and I love it. I also have a space issue, and am limited to about 2 ft of distance from the wall. In my opinion, the Clarity's sound the best with a turntable, there is just something about that sound that I love. For some reason, there are a number of people in this club that dislike the Clarity's, Aeon owners always seem to be at the top of the list. I listened to both in the store, and thought they were very similar, and went with the Clarity's because their artistic design was more conducive to my wife letting me keep them. The Aeon is a larger speaker, and capable of more sound, but if you have space issues, I would go with a smaller speaker in hopes that you can give them better placement.

Matt
System #34

When you guys talk about distance from the wall are you talking about distance from the panel itself or the back of the speaker? I am considering Clarity's in the rear but they will be only 1' away from back wall in the back corner but the panel will be 2' away from the wall. Other option I am contemplating is to place Fresco's horizontally on back shelfs because I have read in mags that Fresco's have better dispersion when placed horizontally than vertically.

vinodk said:
When you guys talk about distance from the wall are you talking about distance from the panel itself or the back of the speaker? I am considering Clarity's in the rear but they will be only 1' away from back wall in the back corner but the panel will be 2' away from the wall.

Distance from the front of the panel...

I think Aeons and Clarity have their pros and cons. The Clarity is more 'airy', the Aeon has better low mids.

Thanks for Heads Up Guys - Some Useful advice.

Aeons look like they need even more space to give of their best - Ideally I'd like to Home Dem before purchasing - easier said than done.

Any thoughts re Simaudio Moon i5? - If it's not up to the task in hand , would swing me to wait 'til Move next year and consider Amp and ML's as an item (and find an understanding Bank Manager :D !

japalapalos said:

Aeons look like they need even more space to give of their best - Ideally I'd like to Home Dem before purchasing - easier said than done.

Any thoughts re Simaudio Moon i5? - If it's not up to the task in hand , would swing me to wait 'til Move next year and consider Amp and ML's as an item (and find an understanding Bank Manager :D !

The Moon is a good amplifier!

japalapalos said:

I have read some reviews on the "Moon". It is suppossed to be a pretty awesome peice of equipment.

Back