Montage repairs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tikkbomb

Reaction score
Good evening all,
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum.
I have been debating getting some new speakers, preferably ML electrostats, unfortunately I have young kids that I don't trust near them. I didn't buy a very cheap second hand pair of ML speakers because of this. Helped the new owner set them up and got him a great Amp to properly power them. He loves them.

My fear was proven true when one day my ML Montage had an odd rattle sound to the. Upon inspection my amazing kids had found a way to hit my speakers, damaging the grill and smashing a 6 inch woofer. After my amazing wife restrained me from hurting the little ones, I emailed ML and unfortunately they don't have any of the woofer left in stock.

I have looked all over for a replacement. At the moment there is someone selling a repaired woofer on eBay, buy I'm wary of trying that.

I tried the old vacuum method I saved my old Yamaha speakers with to no avail. They did a real number on them. I figure that in a few years I can get my electrostats that I dream of.

I got a pair of well recommended Elac tower speakers, but my wife that has no AV experience can tell the difference in sound and isn't a fan. I hate them and want to go back to something similar to what we had before.

Thank you all for spending a moment reading this.

How old are you kids? Im lucky in that I never had a problem with my two girls. Maybe you have boys? Boys seem to get into trouble like that more because of their energetic play. My kids are now in college and high school.

I guess you will just wait until they are older and wont do that sort of thing?

Guys on here might know of a good substitute for that woofer. We have some top notch members on here that really know their stuff. Did you ask if ML had any idea of what you could use in place? Youd probably need to replace all 4 woofers so that they match in sound.

My kids are getting older, they are 4 and 6. My 4yo son gets a little out of control sometimes.

I'm afraid that the cool panel might draw their attention.

I didn't think to ask them if they had any recommendations. I will reach out now and let you know what they say.

I have always worried about this. The new MLs are a bit more child proof. They have a metal grill for the woofer and firmer all around.

When we moved I ended up separating out systems and put a Sennheiser sound bar in the living room and moved to a specific 2ch systems in another room with a little bit more control of things flying around.

I just heard back from ML support and they don't have any replacement woofers to recommend.

I'm going to have to search ebay for something passable. I thought about pushing up the electrostats, but my son reminded me that it wasn't a good idea yet.

I have always worried about this. The new MLs are a bit more child proof. They have a metal grill for the woofer and firmer all around.

When we moved I ended up separating out systems and put a Sennheiser sound bar in the living room and moved to a specific 2ch systems in another room with a little bit more control of things flying around.

How do you like your sound bar? Any negatives? I have been looking at getting one but I have nowhere to actually listen to one.

That ebay speaker is only $35. Seems like a low risk to try it.
I may have to.

I saw a great deal on a beautiful pair of Vista's on ebay and almost pulled the trigger. Then when I was watching some TV this morning the Elacs I have sounded off. Noticed my son had knocked the wire out of the back of one and his PJ masks toys stuffed under the speaker. So I would be afraid of what he would do to the panel on those.

How do you like your sound bar? Any negatives? I have been looking at getting one but I have nowhere to actually listen to one.

It’s fantastic, great for movies and music. I am very particular and this is the first sound bar I have heard where the vocals sounds natural and don’t sound like they are coming from a box. Tonality is also spot on (for me at least) especially with music. Immersion is also good, but best suited for room with lower ceilings and closer sidewalls. It has had it’s fair share of hardware issues though, PM me and I can give you more details.

I may have to.

I saw a great deal on a beautiful pair of Vista's on ebay and almost pulled the trigger. Then when I was watching some TV this morning the Elacs I have sounded off. Noticed my son had knocked the wire out of the back of one and his PJ masks toys stuffed under the speaker. So I would be afraid of what he would do to the panel on those.
Yeah, sounds like you are smart to put your dreams of nice speakers on hold for awhile.

Updating the thread. Ordered the woofer. The condition was not as bad as I thought. The repair was solid. The speaker was very easy to take apart and put back together, they needed a good cleaning.

Set everything up, ran a few discs to test the sound and noticed that the low end was completely missing. Turns out someone snapped the wire out of my SVS subwoofer! Fortunately Best Buy has them in stock and I will get that back up and running.

Updating the thread. Ordered the woofer. The condition was not as bad as I thought. The repair was solid. The speaker was very easy to take apart and put back together, they needed a good cleaning.

Set everything up, ran a few discs to test the sound and noticed that the low end was completely missing. Turns out someone snapped the wire out of my SVS subwoofer! Fortunately Best Buy has them in stock and I will get that back up and running.
Wow, Best Buy has parts for a SVS sub!? I guess it's a Magnolia store. I'm impressed.

Your gremlins broke the wire somehow?

I think my wife was the one that broke it because there was a toy train set box jammed behind the woofer.

Fortunately it was just a subwoofer cable.

Also some of the Magnolias carry SVS products now. The one near me has Macintosh products as well.

I think my wife was the one that broke it because there was a toy train set box jammed behind the woofer.

Fortunately it was just a subwoofer cable.

Also some of the Magnolias carry SVS products now. The one near me has Macintosh products as well.
Dang, it's dangerous for speakers around there!

Do your kids ever turn the volume way up, and risk blowing a speaker? I was scared of that when I was raising my girls, but they're never messed with my stereo. It was like an unspoken rule.

Dang, it's dangerous for speakers around there!

Do your kids ever turn the volume way up, and risk blowing a speaker? I was scared of that when I was raising my girls, but they're never messed with my stereo. It was like an unspoken rule.
Luckily <knocks on wood> the kids have never tried to touch the dial at all.

My kids are amazing, but my 4 year old tries to push the envelope. When I pulled the speakers out of the garage he tried to touch them. Fortunately the 6 year old was acting like a security guard.

I'm pretty sure I blew both of their minds by playing some Disney songs for them.

Love that ML sound

Back