Monolith series - differences and resources

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will capture the differences between the various iterations of the Monolith model series. It will also include links to internal and external resources that help owners with mods and maintenance.

The Monolith series was introduced in 1983 with the original Monolith (now known as the Monolith I ), with a built-in passive crossover and single pair binding posts.

Followed in 1985 with a revision called the Monolith II, it still had the same basic configuration as the original. Now supporting active external crossover and bi-amplification. A passive crossover was built-in. The Woofer was a dual-voice-coil (DVC) model, and users could wire up the second VC for added bass output.

A fairly major re-design was released in 1990 featuring completely external crossovers, available in passive or active versions, each resulting in the model designation being the IIIp for the passive and the IIIx for the active with the external Exos crossover (manufactured for ML by Krell). The woofer is now sealed, allowing for a smaller woofer enclosure, allowing the panel to no longer be partially obscured by the woofer box.
The passive crossover for the IIIp was housed in an external enclosure, one per speaker. It could be placed close to the amp(s) or next to the speaker.

[This post will be expanded with additional detail on the overall product line as further information is available.]

Some useful threads here:

Modifying a Monolith I to replace the woofer and bypass the passive XO.

An extended discussion about the Monolith III and woofer updates for it. This also contains some good advice for those keeping the passive crossover, including some mods and a woofer recommendation that better matches the passive XO.

My Monolith III woofer upgrade and panel replacement thread.

A reference to what is believed to be the original Monolith I model used by a recording engineer. It branches into discussions about Monolith mods.

Back