Monolith III(p) to Monolith III(x)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

birddogthecat

Is the active crossover for the Monolith III avaliable either form M-L or as an after-market purchase? Also, is there anyone out there who does mods or upgrades for the Monolith III? I have my deceased father's speakers.

I believe it was available separately once upon a time but is no longer being produced. They do pop up on Ebay and Auiogon from time to time.

Go Active

My take is that an active crossover and bi-amping is the way to totally wake up the Monoliths.

Forget the factory active x-over. It was nice for its day, but this is a decade plus down the road and the DSP based speaker processors on the market are incredible.

For a no-fuss, easy to set up system that includes room correction look at the DEQX system. It will do the X-over and time and frequency domain corrections. A real eye opener to listen to a DEQX calibrated system on vs off, you'll never go back to untreated systems after that.

My approach with my Monoliths was to use a DriveRack 260 speaker processor.
Excellent results with that component plus some driver upgrades to the woofer.
Look for threads from me and the review of the DR 260 in the articles section of the forum for more details.

I just purchased some Peerless 12" drivers to try out in a week or so. The current ACI unit, while quite good, does not go high and clean enough for where I currently run the X-over point (240Hz).

Will take pre and post ETF measurements and will post in two weeks.

Bottom line, check out an active X-over and biamping. The Monolith makes this easy with its totally external componentry.

Back