• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Martin Logan Owners and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Monolith II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMLFan

Reaction score
A power amp (Threshold monoblock) ate one of my speakers. I had the amp repaired. I was going to have ML make two top panels for me (they said they would) but the WAF interferred. She wants smaller speakers. So I'm reluctantly giving up the Monoliths. Rather than consign them to the trash I disassembled them and will post the various components on Ebay (and here, I guess).

I have the wood for two complete Monoliths, side pieces, base, etc. The cloth frames could be further disassembled and shipped. The oak pieces cannot be disassembled and must be shipped as they are. The bases must he local pick-up. northeren Westchester county, NY. The leather on the bases needs to be replaced, as does the cloth on the frames.

I have one good electrostatic panel and the original (refoamed) woofer.

I have the crossover networks, including the coil. After the amp killed the panel on one, I sent both crossovers back to ML. They returned them good as new. They said one was slightly out of spec but they rehabbed both.

If anyone can use any of the above, please let me know before I get rid of them or sell them on Ebay. I hate to throw them out but... If anyone can suggest what any of the stuff might be worth, please tell me. I REALLY hate to throw the crossovers away. The wood, not so much. I have pictures of all of the above if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Hi,
I’m a new member, just came across your post.
I have been wrestling with my Monoliths I , I think the solder at bottom of one panel needs refreshing, which means both should be done. Also dealing with bass that is heavi from 35-85 hz and light in mid-bass . So when I saw the parts you have, I thought it could give me options to play around and see if improvements can be had. I have no idea what your parts are worth. I know from ML the cost would make me forget bothering. At the other end of the spectrum, someone in MN just gave away 2 sets of panels free. Just starting a dialogue. I’m not far from the Tappan Zev, ahem I mean the Cuomo bridge.

I call it the Tappan Zee too. I don’t think I’ll ever call it the Cuomo bridge. But let’s move on to something important.

You're very near by, I’m in Pound Ridge. Not too many years ago I drove over the Tap daily (when it was still called that).

I’ve wrestled with pricing the pieces and I think that Ebay might get to determine them. My thinking for the electrostatic panel is this. When I thought I might rehab my Monoliths I spoke to ML about them making a panel for me. They won’t make one, they will only make a pair. $3.000 for a pair. That makes one panel worth $1,500, new from them. My panel, obviously, is used.

My panel is maybe ten years old. Probably less. I don’t remember when I bought the replacements. Long story about why I replaced them, and it’s irrelevant. But during those years it was unplugged when not used, gently used when it was, and infrequently used at that. Given that it is used, my plan is to list it on Ebay for a ‘Buy It Now’ price of $700 and see what happens. To save me the trouble of listing it, packaging it, hauling it to the UPS store for shipping and maybe have them package it (which would drive the shipping price way up), I’ll offer it to you for $650. It would be advantageous for both of us to avoid shipping it. UPS isn’t cheap if they package something. I found that out when I told them to package my power amp for shipping to Threshold for repair.

I'll say $50 for the woofer since the original ML woofer is better than the Dayton at the same price. I have one of them too, bought before my amp completely ate a channel.

If you’re interested, since I have both Monolith power supplies and crossovers… refurbished, as you know… I can plug the panel into one of them and play it for you to listen to, just to demonstrate that it works.

If you have interest, I suggest we take any further discussion private. I think the Start Conversation button does that.

A power amp (Threshold monoblock) ate one of my speakers. I had the amp repaired. I was going to have ML make two top panels for me (they said they would) but the WAF interferred. She wants smaller speakers. So I'm reluctantly giving up the Monoliths. Rather than consign them to the trash I disassembled them and will post the various components on Ebay (and here, I guess).

I have the wood for two complete Monoliths, side pieces, base, etc. The cloth frames could be further disassembled and shipped. The oak pieces cannot be disassembled and must be shipped as they are. The bases must he local pick-up. northeren Westchester county, NY. The leather on the bases needs to be replaced, as does the cloth on the frames.

I have one good electrostatic panel and the original (refoamed) woofer.

I have the crossover networks, including the coil. After the amp killed the panel on one, I sent both crossovers back to ML. They returned them good as new. They said one was slightly out of spec but they rehabbed both.

If anyone can use any of the above, please let me know before I get rid of them or sell them on Ebay. I hate to throw them out but... If anyone can suggest what any of the stuff might be worth, please tell me. I REALLY hate to throw the crossovers away. The wood, not so much. I have pictures of all of the above if anyone is interested.
Hi- Do you by any chance still have the Monolith high voltage transformers and boards?
Thanks

Nope. I shipped them off to Iowa two or trhree weeks ago.

Tom

Back