Monolith 3 frequency sweep.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steevray

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just got my monolith3 amplifiers back they worked fine. I am curious to know if frequency sweeps on such a large panel is not recommended.? I just did a frequency sweep and the panel sounded awful. Not a nice even tone on the upper register or lower register. Started to distort. Time to refresh the panels or is this a common problem? Thank you

What tool did you use to run the sweep?

Which amplifiers are you driving them with, and is it a Passive crossover or the Active?

Was it a full-range sweep, and the crossover connected to both woofer and panel?

If so, the woofer could be the one generating the flabbiness on the low end. I had to replace mine.

A single-tone sweep will cause resonances in a large panel to be audible if the panel is not well mounted. On old speakers, the padded foam tape that isolates the panel from the frame might be compressed or falling apart and not providing the isolation they used to.

But if you have the original panels, then it is probably time to replace them. I replaced my 1993 vintage panels in 2006, and it was a big improvement.

Hi Jonfo,
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of test equipment. I was using a sweep from YouTube. I switched to a speaker that I know is good and it did the same thing so I'm sure it was just that sweep. When I switched to another on YouTube it sounds just fine. As for the panels I was told when I purchased them they were just a couple of years old but...
I did purchase the Peerless woofers as per your recommendation. I sent along some pics. It seems over the years that they have changed the size of the basket just a tiny bit. So much so it's probably about a sixteenth of an inch too big to even fit into the hole. I'm sure I could take down that around the perimeter of this speaker basket and be okay. But there's no way that be old speaker screws will work. I'm thinking of just using a fine thread screw possibly drywall. I think it would be very difficult to use another T nut situation like original. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200811_144324.jpg
    20200811_144324.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200811_144116.jpg
    20200811_144116.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 18
Back