Monoblock Power Amp Recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Osib

Reaction score
I've just purchased a Tact 2.2X Preamp that has had major internal modifications using exotic components. I'm totally blown away by the change in sound quality. I am also using ML CLS IIz with a REL 100E subwoofer. However it seems that the only thing that is letting my system down is my power amps (Moth 100W monoblocks) which can sometimes sound a bit flat. Can I have some amp recommendations please. I'm looking for solid 'actual in the room' holographic images that you feel you can walk around and a massive and complete soundstage, height included.

Dan Osib said:
I'm looking for solid 'actual in the room' holographic images that you feel you can walk around and a massive and complete soundstage, height included.
I think McIntosh has that kind of reputation - some say you give a little up in other areas (rhythm and timing). Several people in the forum have recently purchased the MC2102. Expensive and beautiful, is it your cup of tea?

McIntosh-MC2102.jpg

Sorry, it does not look like Moth believes in a glamorus presentation, can't even find their website. www.mothaudio.com is not working right now for me.

Found this:
http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/moth100w.html
100wpow.gif

Last edited:
Tube amps are awesome but the only thing that bothers me is that it can be expensive to replace all the tubes when they wear out. Conrad Johnson quoted me over $1200!!?? to retube their best power amps - the Premier 8A. I listen to music music and TV on my system at least 7 hours per day so I'll be replacing the tubes once every 2 years or less. Therefore it is going to have to be Solid State.

Two solid state designs that I listened to during my audition time for my Vantages were Bryston and Classe'. But being a Nelson Pass fan for days gone buy(Maggie's, Threshold, ARC SP-9mkII.....ah i loved that sound) see what happens once you get over the age of fifty, the mind wonders !! anyways Pass Labs if you got the $$$$$

agree, pass are excellent. if you want to hear music, get blue circle. they are gems with logans!!!!

Dan,

I too have CLSiiZ's and was considering a tube amp but decided against it for basically the same reason. Unforntuately I do not have the opportunity to listen more than a couple hours a day.
I have the Depth as my sub. I just bought (no pictures yet) a new Conrad Johnson 2500A amp. This does give me the warm sound of a CJ in a solid state design. I leave this on now all the time and it barely gets warm. When I drive the CLSiiZ's it only gets a bit warmer.I have a tube preamp which gives me what I think is the best of both worlds. The downside of tube amps is they lack the "punch" or quickness of the lower frequencies. This is really a small thing but with a tube pre and a SS amp I getther best of both.
If you have the chance you may want to see if you can audition the SS CJ amps.

Jeff :cool:

Hey Dan...

I went through this same thing with an amp upgrade earlier this year. Listened to both Tube and Solid State amps (I use an ARC Tube Pre) and settled on a Plinius SA-102 Solid State (Class A/B or Class A switchable). Tube midrange, but control and authority in the bass, with smooth but detailed high end - not your typical SS sound.

There are many amps out in the world to audition and I am sure there is one that you and your tastes will like, matched up with your room and current equipment. Each one of us likes a certain amp for our setups and our tastes, and each of us will tell you what "we" like, but you are the final determination.

Time for road trips to get auditions and demos, to find that special component that fits your needs and preferences.

Dan

Anthony A. said:
agree, pass are excellent. if you want to hear music, get blue circle. they are gems with logans!!!!

I keep seeing more and more, Martin Logan setups with Pass Labs. For a long time I did not see any, and now its like a sonic boom.

Ooh.. a sonic bloom!

I hear ya Joe, everyone and their grandmas have a Pass Labs setup to go with their Logans. Did the Pass Labs bus come and leave me?

I have yet to hear a Pass Labs amp, but they sure look and spec' formidable. One of these days I'll demo a set.

Joey_V said:
Ooh.. a sonic bloom!

I hear ya Joe, everyone and their grandmas have a Pass Labs setup to go with their Logans. Did the Pass Labs bus come and leave me?

I have yet to hear a Pass Labs amp, but they sure look and spec' formidable. One of these days I'll demo a set.

OK, OK, may be sonic boom wasn’t the word to use. Point is I have known about Pass Labs for a few years but never saw a ML setup using them. Over the last 6 months or so I have seen about 10. I too have not auditioned Pass but would love too, I here grate things about them I just wish they had more home theater friendly amps.

Also Parasounds Halo JC-1 mono block, seems to get grate reviews.

Zip3kx07 said:
OK, OK, may be sonic boom wasn’t the word to use. Point is I have known about Pass Labs for a few years but never saw a ML setup using them. Over the last 6 months or so I have seen about 10. I too have not auditioned Pass but would love too, I here grate things about them I just wish they had more home theater friendly amps.

Also Parasounds Halo JC-1 mono block, seems to get grate reviews.
Hey Zippy, check out this months Home Theatre mag, they got a woody over the Butler Audio TDB5150, sounds like a nice piece for the HT crowd.

Mono Block recommendations...

Dan Osib said:
I've just purchased a Tact 2.2X Preamp that has had major internal modifications using exotic components. I'm totally blown away by the change in sound quality. I am also using ML CLS IIz with a REL 100E subwoofer. However it seems that the only thing that is letting my system down is my power amps (Moth 100W monoblocks) which can sometimes sound a bit flat. Can I have some amp recommendations please. I'm looking for solid 'actual in the room' holographic images that you feel you can walk around and a massive and complete soundstage, height included.
Dan,

I know this isn't a mono block recommendation but it kinda is, you should check out the Anthem Statement P2. It is two mono block amplifiers in one two channel unit. I have auditioned this most excellent amplifier and it is wonderful, quick, transparent, revealing, holographic imaging, with a massive sound stage (like you want) and very, very powerful... ;)

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/P_Series.html

I would also recommend the Cary Audio's "CAD 500 Mono Block" amplifier. I had auditioned the Cary Audio Cinima X and it was terrific. A little less revealing / holographic than the Anthem P2, but a wonderful amplifier none-the-less...

http://www.caryaudio.com/products/audio/cad500mb.shtml

Another recommendation is the hybrid amplifier from, Bulter Audio, the "TDB 2250", its a two channel amp. but I've heard good things.

http://www.butleraudio.com/tdb2250.php

Yet another recommendation would be Sim Audios, "Moon Rock". I've never heard it but it is said to be the absolute ultimate Mono Block amplifier yet made by the hand of man, with a sound stage from here to the moon, totally awesome, check it out... :D

http://www.simaudio.com/moonrock.htm

HTH

twich54 said:
Hey Zippy, check out this months Home Theatre mag, they got a woody over the Butler Audio TDB5150, sounds like a nice piece for the HT crowd.

Yes, Twichy...

I have yet to meet a person that did not get a woody over the buttler. But thanks for the heads up, I will check it out.

Zip'o out.

Had to jump in

Funny thing is, I was the biggest Krell fan on the planet. I will admit that I still am a fan. Now when you look at my system, you are sure to wonder why I didn't purchase Krell. I mean we are talking the same amount of money. I saw where Joe, Joey, Dave, & Anthony all mentioned the growth of Pass Labs being married to MLs. You should audition Pass. Only then will you understand why so many people are seeing more Pass/ML combos. I refer to my set up as "Sonic Nirvana". I haven't even done any room treatments! I plan to try some stuff out eventually but right now, I'm not sure that I need anything done. People say that room treatments make a big difference and if they were to improve upon what I have, then WOW. The only things I have done were to pull the speakers out from the wall further and toe them in a bit. The amp powers everything effortlessly. As one of the other fine members of this community often says "trust your ears". My 2 cents worth. :cool:

I still say McIntosh (solid state or tube) has the soundstaging sound or reputation for soundstaging which was first requested. Many fine amps out there, each has their own sonic signiture.

The Pass Labs amplifiers provide an awesome combination with MartinLogan electrostatic speakers. Be aware that there are two major "flavors" of Pass Labs amplifiers; the "X/X.5" series of products (which incorporate Nelson Pass's patented Super-Symmetry technology to dramatically reduce dynamic distortions in a balanced amplifier design) and the "XA" series of products (which combine Super-Symmetry technology with Nelson Pass's single-ended "Aleph" technology).

The "XA" is the sublime choice for ML CLS's; the palpable "you are there" musical presentation is truly awesome to hear. If you're using hybrid electrostatic/dynamic Martin Logan's, you have a more difficult choice. The Pass Labs "X/X.5" amplifiers are certainly more Krell-like in their ability to enforce proper behavior in the dynamic woofers of the ML hybrids, but the "X/X.5" amplifiers give up some of the SET-like attributes that are intrinsic to the Aleph-based "XA" Pass Labs amplifiers.

----------
Mullard EL34

Back