Monarchy SE-100 delux

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Review of the Monarchy SE-100 delux

Date purchased: May 22, 2007
Configuration: Monoblock
Class: A
Watt rating: 100 watts into 8 ohms, 200 watts into 4 ohms.
Cost new: $1,180.00 each
What I paid: $450.00 each
Size: 5” x 11” x 12”
Weight: 26 lbs each
Inputs: RCA or XLR
Setup: CEC CDP to Sunfire TG II pre, to SE-100’s (RCA in) to ML Scenarios (ML depth sub off).

Design of SE-100 delux

Two Singled-Ended Gain Stages driving a complementary Class A Output bank, which incorporates 8 matched Power MOSFETS (Mil spec) rated at 150 Watts each, for a total dissipating power of 1,200 Watts. All aluminum chassis to eliminate transformer magnetic hum (450 VA toroidal transformer). 5/8 inch thick aluminum front plate with gold Monarchy audio logo, gold trimmed rack handles (A bit tacky for my taste) and lighted power on switch. This amp is built like a tank.

I powered the amp on and let it warm up for an hour. I took this time to test the amplifier idle efficiency. I took the input current reading and it stated 1.2 amps rms each. Each block was burning 144 watts (144 x 2 = 288 watts total). For comparison my Sunfire symphonic reference used 0.3 amps at idle or 36 watts, and note the Sunfire is a 2 channel amp. The 288 watts can be felt as the amps get toasty. I would estimate the chassis temperature to be 45 degrees C, very warm indeed.

Time to listen:

These monoblocks immediately made a positive impression on me. I could tell the soundstage had moved closer to me by what felt like 2 feet. The female voices are crisper with no “grain” around them (Susan Wong A night at the Movies). The soundstage also had had moved outward. I could pick out the individual location of all the instruments. This was a very new experience for me. I played some woodwinds I find this to be a very difficult tonal characteristic to reproduce. The SE-100 did it with ease. I could hear the player inhale and exhale with each blow of the instrument and the instrument resonating as the breath was fading. Then I put in a good rock CD with some bass (Bad Company Bad Company). The ML Scenarios are not known for there bass capability. Even with the SE-100 this is true. The base was measurably tighter and more controlled but my sub is still needed. I do not blame the amp for this but the speaker.

Ok, I am thinking I have moved my system to a new level. I am also thinking this amp can play well at high levels but how good will it do at very low levels? Turning off the lights and turning the volume way down I put on some eastern music. The fidelity and detail was extraordinary even at very low levels. The stings are airy with no color added just smooth crisp music coming out of the speakers. I could even at very low volume pick out the location of instruments. I can hear things I never could hear before it was delicate but noticeable. I can listen to these amps for hours without getting fatigued. Nothing feels bright or harsh. Even my wife commented that she can hear a difference. This is a big step as she has never said this before. I usually get the standard “it sounds nice”.

Small but 26 lbs of fun:

If you're looking for great-sounding power amplifiers in the $2000-$2500 range, audition the Monarchy’s. The SE-100 delux may lack some of the non-tangible tonal characteristics of the super high-end amplifiers, but for the money you just can not go wrong. People that can afford Ferraris will always buy Ferraris but those of us that can only afford a Corvette its good to know the ZO6 can be had for a fraction of the cost of a Ferrari. I feel the same about this amp. It is not a Pass, Krell, or Mark Levenson, and it never will be. I am just glad the Monarchy amps are around for the rest of us. I dream of one day owning a Pass, or Krell but for now the Monarchy will do. This is an amp I can live with for a long time.

I am having too much fun with these amps!!!

Attachments

• monarchy_se100_top.jpg
    monarchy_se100_top.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,881
Last edited:
Cherian, thanks for the review, and as the old saying goes..... "Nice things do come in small packages" !! Again welcome to the Class "A" fan club !

Niiiice! Good job with them amps, Cherian!

Glad I could rub off some Class A on you!

Joey ;)

Latest posts

Back