Modification of purity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustGav

Reaction score
So, Scott from ML has been extremely useful sending me documentation and circuit diagrams to diagnose the issues.

Firstly I've discovered that the IcePower 200ASC in the unit has blown a transformer, capacitor and resistor, known issue so not overly bothered by that. My current thoughts are to remove the IcePower and replace it with a different amplifier setup, perhaps a DSP/tube combination.

Current plan of attack
1. Get the BDFS board to power up without the IcePower unit, it does supply the +12 and -12v to the BDFS board so I need a power supply for that, which I've got
2. Power the speaker's ESL circuitry up so I can get an external amp going on them in the short term.
3. Find a class AB 200w monoblock, and bypass all the audio sense stuff so that I can do it with a small arduino circuit instead, and simply use the ESL power circuit and the ML crossover.

I know purists might get a little twitchy at this, but I got the purity's for a very good price, so this is a pure project thing.

Gav

I sure am not twitchy regarding mods, highly encourage them even ;-)

One suggestion if going to these lengths is to consider going full active crossover on the Purity, it can simplify (in the physical realm) the to-do list.

A crossover such as the DBX DriveRack Venu360 would be perfect, as you'd have a channel for each woofer and the panel (since it can output up to 6 channels). This would allow you to tune and align the woofers to the location in your room for best integration, and of course, time aligned to the ESL panel.
It does mean you'd need a 4 channel amp, any of the Pro-Audio amps would do fine for the bass.

Click on the SL3XC link in my signature to see an example of a major rework to bypass the built-in crossover.

Back