Mobil Fidelity of sound Lab

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Mobile Fidelity of Sound Lab

About 2 weeks back I got off of Amazon Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon by Mobile Fidelity of sound Lab. This CD was printed in 1988 off of the original master on the gold Ultradisc 2 format. Now I also have the regular mass produced version of dark side of the moon. I have to say what a difference. On the MFSL CD I can hear all the subtle detail that just is not present on the mass produced CD. Now I am on a quest to track down more of the MFSL CD. To date I have 10 coming to my house. These CDs are not cheap costing me between $19.00 to $300.00 depending on the rarity of the CD. But I feel they are worth it. Anyone know of any other brands that make these High quality recordings?

Last edited:
Cherian said:
Anyone know of any other brands that make these High quality recordings?
Yes, the MFSL CDs are quite nice - I have all the Pink Floyd discs they have plus one from U2.

Other very good CDs are the JVC XRCD and the DCC Golds.

I've recently just tried my first DVD-A and have been quite impressed, I now have 3 - ordered them on Half.com for about $15 total.

Will DVD-A take a different player? Is it Stereo or 5.1 channels?

I will give those other CDs that you mentioned a try. Thanks for your input.

Cherian said:
Will DVD-A take a different player? Is it Stereo or 5.1 channels?

I will give those other CDs that you mentioned a try. Thanks for your input.
You need a player, usually a DVDp that plays DVD-A - I happen to have two (Panny RP-82 and an Oppo). Other units are universal players, etc.

Most DVD-A discs have both 2 channel and surround formats. Your pre-pro has to have multichannel analog inputs though (I think, don't know of a way around it), mine does not and will not recognize the mulitchannel format.

thanks for the input. My Pre can take 5.1 direct in. I can do it via RCA or DB25. My DVD player can play SACD and the other formats such as DD and DTS. Not sure about DVD-A. I have been too lazy to hook up the direct inpts from the DVD player to my preamp. I feel I have too many wires as it is. Maybe one weekned I will rewire the whole thing. UGH not looking forward to that.

SACD would be a similar experience I imagine to DVD-A. I don't have SACD capability so I had to go with what I could use.

Just got off of ebay Queen's greatest hits in XRCD format. I can't wait to hear it. I will post my thoughts. Thanks for the help.

If you think Mo-Fi CD's are good...

You should also try the Mobile Fidelity SACD's and Vinyl.

They were huge in the Half Speed Remastering area for many years then sadly went out of business. They were purchased and re-incarnated by Music Direct out of Chicago a few years ago.

In my opinion they have some of the very best SACD's you can find, and they started repressing some very good vinyl, including 45 box sets (of which I have a few).

Not to rub it in too much, but I have their UHQR version (300gm Vinyl) of "Dark Side of the Moon". The best version of this classic I've ever heard!

MiTT,

Thanks for the input. I am addicted to MFSL Ultradisk CDs. I am buying them up left and right. I always thought a CD was a CD because as an engineer digital is digital. I never took into account that the all the old CDs were mastered in analog and that the analog to digital conversion is an art form. I will have to try the MFSL SACDs. Looks like there will be more wires behind my system.

Back