MLs and live albums..... what works for you?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Since getting my Sequels, I've discovered more and more how much better live recordings sound. The ambience, the air around the instruments and vocalists, the audience participation, it's all so much clearer now!
Here's a few albums I especially enjoy:
Sara McLachlan: Afterglow: Live ;
Loreena MacIinnit: Live in Toronto and Paris ;
Duke Ellington: Ellington at Newport , 1956,(LP)
Eric Clapton: Unplugged
So, if anybody would like to share, please do! Quote anything I've listed, and I'll comment as best I can. I suppose I could set up a poll on this, but I'd like it to be less formal and more casual.
Regards,
Ross

Tube60 said:
Since getting my Sequels, I've discovered more and more how much better live recordings sound. The ambience, the air around the instruments and vocalists, the audience participation, it's all so much clearer now!
So, if anybody would like to share, please do! Quote anything I've listed, and I'll comment as best I can. I suppose I could set up a poll on this, but I'd like it to be less formal and more casual.
Regards,
Ross
Mary Black, No Frontiers, Track 6 , Columbus

I'd like to add: Celtic Woman, last track. The song title's in Gaelic, and I don't want to mess up the spelling! IMO that's the best song in that album. It was recorded live in Dublin. I've never experienced bass in three dimensions before, but that song and most of what's in Clapton's Unplugged album I've experienced that, and it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! :eek: :D

Tube60 said:
Loreena MacIinnit: Live in Toronto and Paris
Just in case someone is searching for it on the net, Loreena McKennitt is her name. But you are right...great album. Do you have the new Remastered version?

I will add a couple to the list:

Diana Krall: Live in Paris
Amanda McBroom: Live from Rainbow and Stars

DTB300 said:
Just in case someone is searching for it on the net, Loreena McKennitt is her name. But you are right...great album. Do you have the new Remastered version?

AMANDA MCBROOM, GROWING UP IN HOLLYWOOD TOWN

DTB300 said:
Dang! Missed the spelling!
I'll have to check if what I've got is the remastered version, but I don't think it is. I'll look for it.
And I'll have to check out your favs!

Tube60 said:
Regards,
Ross

I've said it before, Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live, Track 5!

Afterglow and Eric Clapton (Unplugged) are also great!

amey01 said:
I've said it before, Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live, Track 5!

Afterglow and Eric Clapton (Unplugged) are also great!
IS THAT A MAPLESHADE RELEASE?

DTB300 said:

IS SHE A WITCH?

med_4330.jpg

Sounds good on my little old Aerius speakers, but have to admit sounded wonderful on 3.6 Maggies and Audio Research tubes in a store.

Rik_Rankin said:
AMANDA MCBROOM, GROWING UP IN HOLLYWOOD TOWN
Not a Live album as the OP question was about...A good album by Amanda but no where near the sound quality of Rainbow and Stars

Widespread Panic's Uber Cobra is a fantastic sounding acoustic set by the best new classic rock band of the decade. They have quite a few live releases that I have not heard. I think I need to spend some money:)

I would say trinity sessions sound like an acoustic folk album with some poppy songs.

Another great live album on Logans: Toward the Within from Dead Can Dance.

SteveInNC said:
Cowboy Junkies, the Trinity Session. Not live with an audience, but recorded in a church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Trinity,_Toronto

The acoustics are amazing on Logans, particularly Timmin's rendition of Sweet Jane by the Velvet Underground. The song content on the album is eclectic, so it's hard to describe what category it fits into.

I've been a very big fan of the "Junkies" since this recording.

Another good one is Waltz Across America. It's not in an intimate setting like Trinity Sessions, but a good live recording.

Nice thread !

Tube60 said:
Many jazz recordings fit the bill ! A few that come quickly to mind:

- Bill Evans Trio "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
- Bill Evans Trio "Waltz for Debby"
- Ray Brown with John Clayton and Christian McBride "SuperBass 2"
- Ray Brown Trio "Summer Wind"

And in another genre:
- Nirvana "Unplugged in New York"

Cheers !

Hi,

A couple of bluegrass/godpel staples (I HATE most Nashville C&W):

Alison Krauss & Union Station: Live
Lyle Lovett: Live in Texas
Michelle Shocked: Texas Campfire Sessions

Great stuff on all of these...

best,

k

Kaliar said:
Many jazz recordings fit the bill ! A few that come quickly to mind:

- Bill Evans Trio "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
- Bill Evans Trio "Waltz for Debby"
- Ray Brown with John Clayton and Christian McBride "SuperBass 2"
- Ray Brown Trio "Summer Wind"

And in another genre:
- Nirvana "Unplugged in New York"

Cheers !
I have "SUNDAY" on SACD, it really shines that way. It's one of my few really good SACDs

Latest posts

Back